Just played last week some Crysis 3 and was amazed how the game look at 4k in that first chapter with the rain. Holly Molly.The cyberpunk/neon city aesthetic is really immersive with rain. I know that the game has more important issues atm but here are some improvements that i think the game's rain effects need.
- the rain in the distance needs to not look so 2d as atm it looks like there's a filter over your screen and it looks like its running at 20fps
- Actually be able to see rain drops up close because atm you cant
- you cant see rain drops break when they hit a surface such as the road, various objects, the player model and npc's
- there are barley any puddles that show rain drops hitting them.
- water running down gutters
- Having variation in rain and wind would also be great.
- i.e heavy rain, light rain, low winds, high winds. Transition's between the various effects.
- The a.i. reacting to these various weather effects would also be great. Especially when the extremely rare occurrence of acid rain happens.
What i will say that looks good is when driving fast in 3rd person at certain angles it looks good.
Games that have great rain and weather effects (for reference)
Most Titles using Cryengine
The Cryengine gives Great rain and weather effects right out of the box.
- Crysis 3 - Cryengine 3 (probably the best)
- Sniper ghost warrior 3 - Cryengine
- homefront the revolution - Cryengine
- Miscreated - Cryengine
- Kingdom come deliverance -Cryengine
- Battlefield series - Frostbite
- Dying light - chrome engine 6
- Mafia 3 - Illusion engine
- Batman: Arkham Knight - Unreal engine 3
- Red Dead Redemption 2 - RAGE engine
- Driveclub - Driveclub engine
- Metro series - 4A Engine
- outlast 2 - Unreal Engine 3
That concludes it for now but just imagine this game the rain from Crysis 3 or the Blade Runner movies.
Then i tried to run Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k to make a comparison. Was shocked of how blurry, grainy, hazy it was, how bad it looked in comparison with Crysis 3 with textures not loading.
Crysis 3 4k:
Imagine Crysis 3 with Raytracing.
Would embarrass this joke of a game.
The presentation, visually without raytracing its bad.
The weather is a joke in Cyberpunk.
The AI is a joke.
What'up with the water? It looks awful.
Clothing selection and customization of appearance is a joke comparing with Saint Row.
The shooting is clunky. Rage 2 humiliates this game and its a mediocre game.
The looter shooter mechanics bores me. You change your items more often then you blink.
The rpg elements are either weak or non-existent(customization, open world activities-minigames, the dialogue choices are sparse, not nearly as diverse as options in Fallout: New Vegas which was made in 18 months). (cough changing the game to action adventure)
Interaction with the world is a joke. You can't even sit down. I could sit down in Gothic 2. Go to a hooker, drink in bar, pickpocket anyone, beat anyone and steal their stuff. NPC's would react to me sneaking, going in their houses, wearing different armors, and so one in 2002. We are now in 2021.