The secrecy of Kaer Morhen

+
The secrecy of Kaer Morhen

According to all the Witcher books as well as the game, the location of Kaer Morhen is a secret known to very few that aren't Witchers.For a long time, I've been scratching my head over this. How the hell can it possibly still be a secret when only a few decades ago hundreds of humans had gone there and trashed the place? Shouldn't it be known throughout the world by now?

The mob that assaulted Kaer Morhen was intentionally created by a team of mages, and my guess is that the mages led them there or teleported them there, so that most of the ordinary humans didn't know how to find the place.

Not to mention that most of the assailants are still there, on the bottom of the gorge that is. Or maybe all of them? I dont remember, point is there was none that lived to tale the tale or to try it again. Plus the witchers are a dying breed (a good lot of them died that day), useful in some cases, but otherwise left alone...

In addition, how many Witcher are left?Geralt, Eskel, Lambert and Vesemir. And an unknown amount from the Cat and Griffin school, thought these are likely to exist in different parts of the world.I presume that the theoretical threat of the Witchers is gone, with four left.Therefore I guess those that knew, probaly forgot or are of the opinion that the threat is over.Which would explain how the Professor and Javed found it. They "simply" located one of the original assaulters...or, my mind is going this very second, Javed was one of the mages...Hmm, anybody actually know how many years before the game the attack was?

50 years BEFORE Triss was born? Considering she's at least in her thirties now Geralt must be a lot older than he looks. Do witchers age slower than humans? Imagine how old Vesemir must be then...

i seem to recall we had a discussion about this a while ago - the conclusion being that in blood of elves, Geralt is probably nearing 70 and Vesemir may be around 200 odd or possibly older. Bear in mind that the sorcerers live a LOT longer than non mutated humans, and since the witchers go through mutations as well its entirely possible that they could live 5 or more times the length of a normal human unless killed...

geralt has more then 50 years. that's for sure, sapkowski wrote it. we can speculate how much more.he could either be mutated before the assault on kaer morhen or after. if before he's almost 100, after means he is >50, let's say between 60-70.triss is around 30 yo

indeed, the Russian wiki speculates that Geralt was born in 1212 (game time) ... and (corrected for inaccuracy) the game takes place in 1273, making him 61 by that count, but there is no supporting documentation that i can decipher :peace: ... so it's at best /one/ estimate

In the Last Wish, in the part where Geralt reveals his past, he speaks as though he completed his training before Kaer Morhen was raided. If that is indeed the case, he is over a hundred years old in this game(he was 16 when he graduated).

godkingofdivineroad said:
In the Last Wish, in the part where Geralt reveals his past, he speaks as though he completed his training before Kaer Morhen was raided.
Yes, aren't his words more or less paraphrased "I was away from Kaer Morhen at the time of attack" (presumably hunting monsters).We are told that Witchers do not live forever, their aging process is simply slowed down so much that for all intents and purposes they may as well be said to live forever.

From the beggining of witchers existance there was no witcher who died from old age, all died in combat. We can assume that they can live at least 200 years.
In the Last Wish, in the part where Geralt reveals his past, he speaks as though he completed his training before Kaer Morhen was raided. If that is indeed the case, he is over a hundred years old in this game(he was 16 when he graduated).
Yes, aren't his words more or less paraphrased "I was away from Kaer Morhen at the time of attack" (presumably hunting monsters).
Basing on this quote Geralt is around 97 yo. Thats because the meeting between Visenna (Geralt's mother) and Korin (supposed Geralt's father) took place in 1166.

According to all the Witcher books as well as the game, the location of Kaer Morhen is a secret known to very few that aren't Witchers.For a long time, I've been scratching my head over this. How the hell can it possibly still be a secret when only a few decades ago hundreds of humans had gone there and trashed the place? Shouldn't it be known throughout the world by now?
forsaken place. dead zone. almost 100 yo, mob of fanatics, led by jealous wizards destroyed it. but how many survivors were they? I mean - even if striking force was around few hundrets mercenaries and few dozens of wizards...imagine almost hundret witchers,aprentices,wizards defending Kaer Morhen.the battle indeed was bloody, and I doubt that more than few attackers survived it. some spoke of a dreaded place of death, some spoke nothing, hoping to keep all the secrets for themselves.so few witnesses, mostly silent ones. local folk would know about it, some scholars too, some wizards...but who else?who would like to explore it still - so many years, in such a remote place. northern forests, tundra, mountains...wild animals, monsters, bad weather, decieving terrain...

Not even close to 100. IIRC at the time of the siege there was around 40 people, mostly appretices and only few witchers as teachers.

Top Bottom