Why would V care about the President or Songbird?

+
I've been busy so I only just got around to Phantom Liberty and I find some of the dialogue choices for V a bit bizarre:

1. We've established that V is anti-Corpo, even if you chose a lifepath where he was one. The government is in the pockets of Corpo's so why would V be so receptive to the President. The motivation is there, a potential way for Songbird to help you with the chip but V's dialogue should feel like an unwilling participant, not an eager one. I find it very strange for a character who has been hardened throughout most of the game but he meets arguably a major corpo or at the least a corpo puppet and he acts like a fan.

2. All the dialogue with Songbird is also very caring and concerning. I just met her 5 mins ago, she shut Johnny down and I'm not the least bit suspicious of this person? My character feels naive instead of an experienced Merc. Considering that Phantom Liberty takes place later in the game V shouldn't still be so green behind the ears after getting shot in the head by DeShawn. You would expect the character to be wary of ppl now handing him a job.

Maybe this is explained further in the expansion, I've only just gotten past the crash site but so far the dialogue for V is a bit disappointing.

Last edited:
Because songbird offers V a way to cure their condition. V's only motivation up until the point that you can obtain the mission in the midst of the main story is to cure themselves. Phantom Liberty obviously doesn't line up very well if you've already completed the main story and have decided on certain endings. .. On the flip side, if you complete Phantom Liberty early then completing the rest of the main story doesn't make much sense either.

V has plenty of options where they can be a bit more apprehensive, flat out telling people they don't trust them the further you get into the PL story, the more you can decide who to trust or not, there are always some sarcastic or nasty/rude options as well as some straight to the point no-nonsense answers the further you get in the more complex some of these responses get. And V always has the option of being a jerk like in the base game.... although that's usually not the best approach IMO.

Even early on, there are some responses that seem more like V is worried about Songbird, but only because V needs songbird, like sure, V cares, but V cares because they need her. It really depends on if you're playing it just for the cure she promised or if you're trying to build a friendship with any of the characters.

Also, side note, you don't "Need" to play V as "anti-corpo" V like any Merc V can be somewhat more corpo friendly or at least neutral, like you can 100% be all "Burn Corpo Sh*t" if you want, but you can also side with corps, take jobs from them etc... So, there is some wiggle room for what choices you make. Good example being early on in the pick-up, If you work with Stout, and the virus fries maelstrom, you can yell at her for "tricking" you, or you can just be like "Yeah we can work together again in the future" sadly that choice doesn't have any real impact on the game, my theory is that at one point Meredith had more side missions to give you but they got cut.... but that's a different topic.

It depends on your RP but the only carrot on that stick is the cure Songbird promised. I thought some aspects were a bit forced/hamfisted, regardless of [your] V's attitude, or what I would've preferred my V's attitude to be.

You meet her and she is able to mess with the relic by shutting down Johnny and giving you upgrades to the chip. I would argue that this reinforces V perspective that there is something truthful about her when she says she can cure V. At least she seems to have the ability to affect the relic in a way that no one has before.

You meet her and she is able to mess with the relic by shutting down Johnny and giving you upgrades to the chip. I would argue that this reinforces V perspective that there is something truthful about her when she says she can cure V. At least she seems to have the ability to affect the relic in a way that no one has before.
Her being capable doesn't mean a character who's been burnt so many times and hates the system will have dialogue choices where he's worried about the character after meeting her 5 mins ago. "Are you ok, deep breathes you can do this". Reassuring her whenever she tries to hack something and fails. It comes off as if he just met his long lost friend. It doesn't make sense for the story or where the character is in the game.
Post automatically merged:

Also, side note, you don't "Need" to play V as "anti-corpo" V like any Merc V can be somewhat more corpo friendly or at least neutral, like you can 100% be all "Burn Corpo Sh*t" if you want, but you can also side with corps, take jobs from them etc... So, there is some wiggle room for what choices you make. Good example being early on in the pick-up, If you work with Stout, and the virus fries maelstrom, you can yell at her for "tricking" you, or you can just be like "Yeah we can work together again in the future" sadly that choice doesn't have any real impact on the game, my theory is that at one point Meredith had more side missions to give you but they got cut.... but that's a different topic.
I am playing as a Corpo, I've done it many times because it's my preferred life path so yea I know what the dialogue choices are. I'm not sure yelling at Meredith in one situation where she tricked you and almost got you killed is the same thing. In any case lets examine that. We did not trust Meredith when we met, the whole mission was us using her to get our way and none of the dialogue choices had you showing concern for her safety and asking if she's ok. We needed her for a purpose and that's what the dialogue represented when we just met her. That's how it should be. Adding to that the option to immediately deceive her as well and at this point she hadn't done anything suspicious.

Songbird on the other hand straight up fried our brain when she jumped on the chip, we don't know what she did except her word that it was just a side effect so she has already shown she is a danger to us. But we're concerned about her safety and saddened by her tragic past? Then when she gave him a message from the President and he was flabbergasted like a weird fanboy who's shy about telling the president hi. He's a Night City Merc. It all felt very out of character.

Last edited:
Her being capable doesn't mean a character who's been burnt so many times and hates the system will have dialogue choices where he's worried about the character after meeting her 5 mins ago. "Are you ok, deep breathes you can do this". Reassuring her whenever she tries to hack something and fails. It comes off as if he just met his long lost friend. It doesn't make sense for the story or where the character is in the game.

That was in reply to your comment that V should be a bit suspicious because she shuts Johnny down. She shuts Johnny down but she also gives you access to the Relic updates. This is the first character that V met that can actually meddle with Relic in a way no has been able. If you have done Panam's quest, even the creator of the Relic doesn't have the same ability so I can see V would at least be taking a chance with her given her promise and abilities.

I don't really recall if that piece of dialogue is a choice or not but one can easily assume that V is worried because Songbird promised a cure and if she dies, the cure dies with her.

My problem with many of the comments and replies in CB2077 is more, that the 'shortcuts' given in the dialogue options (1. ..., 2. ..., 3. ...) of the german translation very often not really fit to the 'real' answers behind those shortcuts. Also some of them might hide behind the 'attribute wall'.
So it's hard to choose the answer I'd like to give - even if there is an option for it.
And saving / reloading every time before a dialogue isn't very immersive and also not goog for the flow.

I've been busy so I only just got around to Phantom Liberty and I find some of the dialogue choices for V a bit bizarre:

1. We've established that V is anti-Corpo, even if you chose a lifepath where he was one. The government is in the pockets of Corpo's so why would V be so receptive to the President. The motivation is there, a potential way for Songbird to help you with the chip but V's dialogue should feel like an unwilling participant, not an eager one. I find it very strange for a character who has been hardened throughout most of the game but he meets arguably a major corpo or at the least a corpo puppet and he acts like a fan.

2. All the dialogue with Songbird is also very caring and concerning. I just met her 5 mins ago, she shut Johnny down and I'm not the least bit suspicious of this person? My character feels naive instead of an experienced Merc. Considering that Phantom Liberty takes place later in the game V shouldn't still be so green behind the ears after getting shot in the head by DeShawn. You would expect the character to be wary of ppl now handing him a job.

Maybe this is explained further in the expansion, I've only just gotten past the crash site but so far the dialogue for V is a bit disappointing.
The game allows you to walk yourself out of the expansion's story on 2 occasions:

* "Dog eat Dog" quest (which allows you to simply not save Myers).

* "Lucretia my reflection" quest (You have the choice to leave Myers and reed and completely forget about songbird).

So V doesn't have to care about the president, songbird and reed. And it's your choice if you want your V to be Myers' dog.

V is more of a merc than an anticorpo rockerboy, if he was, he'd probably be chums with Johnny from the outset. What Somi provides is basically the ultimate gig with the ultimate reward and while, yes, you can turn down the job and tell them all to go fuck themselves (anticorpo and all that), V's motivation throughout both stories is that he wants to live, pure and simple.

Yes, Somi does have that BD scammer guy vibes and I'm on the same boat as you about his caring tone for her, but V is a gonk sometimes (like corrupted wreath from said BD scammer guy) and does some pretty dumb shit, especially if it involves getting the cure. Hell, I'd fake it too if it meant a chance at getting a cure.

Songbird on the other hand straight up fried our brain when she jumped on the chip, we don't know what she did except her word that it was just a side effect so she has already shown she is a danger to us. But we're concerned about her safety and saddened by her tragic past? Then when she gave him a message from the President and he was flabbergasted like a weird fanboy who's shy about telling the president hi. He's a Night City Merc. It all felt very out of character.

I would argue that Being concerned about her safety can still be interpreted as self-interest, If Songbird flatlines or goes completely mental, all hope of the cure is gone. SO depending on how you play it, there is that way of looking at it, You also have chances to outright tell her you don't trust her or be otherwise combative....

As for calming her down telling her to breathe/get through it etc.... Again, you could argue self-interest.... you need her calm and focused to get through the situation and do the job you need her to do. It really comes down to perspective, are you playing a more empathetic V, who actually does start to care about So mi, as well as the other characters, or is it all self-interest and any kindness or support is in service of finding the cure?

Personal lore: my V wants to blast Dogtown doors and kill everyone in it, including the president and Songbird.
The reality: no fun without all of em, so...

But deep down there... the more they all suffer and are close to being dead, the better.

Why: They blasted my beautiful arena to make that shitsty of a town.

Last edited:
V is more of a merc than an anticorpo rockerboy, if he was, he'd probably be chums with Johnny from the outset. What Somi provides is basically the ultimate gig with the ultimate reward and while, yes, you can turn down the job and tell them all to go fuck themselves (anticorpo and all that), V's motivation throughout both stories is that he wants to live, pure and simple.

Yes, Somi does have that BD scammer guy vibes and I'm on the same boat as you about his caring tone for her, but V is a gonk sometimes (like corrupted wreath from said BD scammer guy) and does some pretty dumb shit, especially if it involves getting the cure. Hell, I'd fake it too if it meant a chance at getting a cure.
1. Yes V is anti-corpo, this is reiterated several times in the characters dialogue. Johnny is a terrorist so no, it doesn't mean they'd be chummy. Being anti-corpo doesn't mean you're into extremism.

2. And sure we've established that So Mi made an offer but as you highlighted V is a Merc. Taking the deal doesn't mean you will be overly affectionate and concerning to your client. Mercs are there to do a job, that's it. V faking anything would be the most out of character thing in the game because the character has never been established to have a manipulative approach to things in the story. Plus at that point we would just be making excuses for something they just didn't execute well. The gameplay and everything else is great, it's just the dialogue that is problematic. I give the devs credit where it's earned but this, at least so far I don't think was done well. Maybe my impression will change once I get to the end

Post automatically merged:

I would argue that Being concerned about her safety can still be interpreted as self-interest, If Songbird flatlines or goes completely mental, all hope of the cure is gone. SO depending on how you play it, there is that way of looking at it, You also have chances to outright tell her you don't trust her or be otherwise combative....

As for calming her down telling her to breathe/get through it etc.... Again, you could argue self-interest.... you need her calm and focused to get through the situation and do the job you need her to do. It really comes down to perspective, are you playing a more empathetic V, who actually does start to care about So mi, as well as the other characters, or is it all self-interest and any kindness or support is in service of finding the cure?
Self interest is asking if she's hurt, not asking about her past trauma and giving her words of encouragement. That's getting to know her on a personal level. Which again, is strange for where V is as a character.

There is no empathetic or unempathetic option for dialogue with the President or So Mi, that's the point being made. I deliberately try to go for the most unempathetic choices and it still comes down to being affectionate. The game doesn't go too in depth with branching dialogue choices, I know that so I am not expecting much but this didn't need multiple options. These are ppl he just met with agenda's of their own and this is Night City. The character just doesn't feel like this is after Jackie's death, as if he didn't learn to be cautious.

Last edited:

Try to think about it in V's shoes. You have weeks to live and Arasaka definitely won't help. This is the president of the fricken NUSA. If anyone can save your life it's gonna be her.

I Mean from my point of view... she cares for Songbird for the cure, but also eventually because she sees herself in Songbird.

As for the President or her pet sleep agent? No genuine feelings, really. I mean she's the president of the NUS aka a politician aka not really a person, and he's the worst kind of scum: Scum that pretends to be working for the greater good.

I'd just like to remind at least everyone who plays as Corpo V : V is a native of Westbrook, Charter Hill, born in Night City, which is a city-state, independent of the NUSA.
Dialoguing with a netrunner of the NUS government let alone cooperating with Mayers and Reed is a TREASON ipso facto.
And I don't understand why I don't have the option from the beginning of the campaign to just politely tell So Mi :
"Sorry, I don't take anything from the hands of the enemy".

* Just in case anyone doesn't know this - Corpo-V talks about his childhood in Charter Hill during a conversation with Takemura at a construction site as they prepare to reconnoiter before infiltrating the the Arasaka Industrial Park in order to get to the Arasaka Warehouse.

Last edited:
V isn't a fully fledged character. Just enough there for the player to get into V but much of how V plays is up to each person playing the game.
As mentioned before, from the start you can not do anything if you don't care. You are never forced to save the president.

There are really only ever 2 choices, do nothing and die, try to do something and live.

In Night City, someone else is always pulling the strings for others. V is no exception. V is never in control, much like everyone else in Night City.
The illusion of choice is everywhere in the video game and the ttrpg.

And because it is based on a ttrpg...not everyones V is going to be a carbon copy. Everyone plays their own game, not what someone else would do.

As mentioned before, from the start you can not do anything if you don't care. You are never forced to save the president.
Aha. Skip the president's bailout, and about half of Phantom Liberty's game content will be lost. No, it's also a choice, it's also a strategy, no question about it.
Absolutely the same way you can abandon a mission in Kompeki Plaza - you are never forced to enter the hotel.

Just chiming in to remind that I am at home in Little China.
Players can write their own lore. We even have a thread for it.

Top Bottom