This may be obvious but cdpr better not pull any tricks on us with microtransactions at any point in the foreseeable future

+
In terms of multiplayer, don't screw up... please... Don't... Screw... Up. Even a little screw up will end in us breathing down your neck. This isn't meant to come off as a threat but a warning :) Love you cdpr!!!

As I already said elsewhere ... in order to long term support servers for a MP game, there are basically three options: (1) subscription fees; (2) regular paid expansions; (3) monetizing optional content (microtransactions).

There has to be one of them to pay for longer term MP support. As long as the pricing is fair that's fine. GWENTs keg prices are very fair to players and you dont need them to play, it just makes leveling up faster. I would expect similar practices in Cyberpunk MP.

I saw, it's great to see
Post automatically merged:

As I already said elsewhere ... in order to long term support servers for a MP game, there are basically three options: (1) subscription fees; (2) regular paid expansions; (3) monetizing optional content (microtransactions).

There has to be one of them to pay for longer term MP support. As long as the pricing is fair that's fine. GWENTs keg prices are very fair to players and you dont need them to play, it just makes leveling up faster. I would expect similar practices in Cyberpunk MP.
I understand completely. I just dont want them to go overboard. As long as it's fair.

As @Rawls said, CDPR has to support the multi-player servers somehow, and they decided to go with micro-transactions.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of micro-transactions, it's the way most publishers/developers implement them that's the source of most of the (well justified) hate. And CDPR certainly is NOT "most publishers/developers".

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Frankly, I am worried. Not about the micro-transactions, that's going to be fine. No, about the multiplayer as a whole. CP2077 is already an impossible game to complete. So, CDPR can't have any distractions. Yet, I fear that the multiplayer has taken some of the focus away from CP2077.

Furthermore, I feel like CDPR should stick with what they know best: immersive storytelling. This is going to be challenging enough with CP2077 not having a predefined character. Yet, now we have Gwent (with mixed results) and soon Pokemon Witcher Go. Those are completely different games and multiplayer on top of that.

Finally, at this point, I just cannot see how the multiplayer is going to be what makes Cyberpunk Cyberpunk. In any case, I just hope it doesn't turn into the mess that is GTA Online.

Frankly, I am worried. Not about the micro-transactions, that's going to be fine. No, about the multiplayer as a whole. CP2077 is already an impossible game to complete. So, CDPR can't have any distractions. Yet, I fear that the multiplayer has taken some of the focus away from CP2077.

Furthermore, I feel like CDPR should stick with what they know best: immersive storytelling. This is going to be challenging enough with CP2077 not having a predefined character. Yet, now we have Gwent (with mixed results) and soon Pokemon Witcher Go. Those are completely different games and multiplayer on top of that.

Finally, at this point, I just cannot see how the multiplayer is going to be what makes Cyberpunk Cyberpunk. In any case, I just hope it doesn't turn into the mess that is GTA Online.

Seems you are not aware that there are different teams working on those projects (like "Spokko" on the "Witcher MH"), plus serious work on multiplayer wasn't even seriously started yet. So I see no reason to be worried about "distractions".

Also: original P-n-P was multiplayer game - so I don't understand why the game is not "cyberpunk" if it's multiplayer?

In terms of multiplayer, don't screw up... please... Don't... Screw... Up. Even a little screw up will end in us breathing down your neck. This isn't meant to come off as a threat but a warning :) Love you cdpr!!!

Who are those "us" you are speaking about? CDPR customers? CP fans? Well, I'm in both those groups and "I" don't want to be part of such terribly voiced ultimatum. People working for CDPR are humans after all, and humans make mistakes. As long as those are mistakes and not bad thing made intentionally, "I" see no reason to issue any kind of "warnings".

Last edited:

Guest 4211861

Well, you always have the option to stop gaming and I dunno, maybe go outside?

Seems you are not aware that there are different teams working on those projects (like "Spokko" on the "Witcher MH"), plus serious work on multiplayer wasn't even seriously started yet. So I see no reason to be worried about "distractions".

Also: original P-n-P was multiplayer game - so I don't understand why the game is not "cyberpunk" if it's multiplayer?

I know about the different teams, but my point still stands. CDPR probably bought Spokko to help release Gwent on mobile. Didn't actually expect that they would push a game like WMH. Though, I guess the team had to do something, afterwards.

Yes, Cyberpunk was originally a PnP, but that's completely different. Also, the PnP version was still about story and consequences; digital multiplayer games tend not to be. CP2077 is also about the way you behave and the impact is has on the world. You could make a Fortnite game in a Cyberpunk setting, but that would diminish the impact the setting has.

There are only two ways I can see an online Cyberpunk game work. Either go full MMORPG, which is probably a suicidal move. Or use the existing singleplayer world and create multiplayer content for it, like the Payday (2) heist missions. Regardless, we don't know how much the multiplayer has impacted the development of CP2077. Maybe my worries are all for naught, but I do still wonder.

You left out one more: None of the above. Not all MP games require dedicated servers. For example, you have co-op games or competitive games hosted on private servers or hosted locally. It could be a one-time purchase and that's it. However, adding paid cosmetics/lootboxes/DLCs are common nowadays to squeeze out some extra money.

Honestly, the only micro-transactions I'm not cool with are the paywall ones. Such as a stronger start at the game, in-game stash with actually good or helpful loot or something similar, you get the point. I am more than fine with in-game cosmetics that have no other purpose other than, well, cosmetics of any kind, be it a recolor or a complete overhaul of the model and sounds. To me, it has very little to do with the gameplay itself, so yeah, that's the least concern for me.

Given the "won't be aggressive" claims, it is probably going to be something that does give you a real advantage, hopefully, or at least it is something that the players that choose to avoid micro-transactions can eventually get the same loot or gameplay stuff as the one who paid for the in-game things.

I am not very familiar with online games other than CS:GO, QC, Diabotical, Apex Legends and similar, so I can't recall any real examples of aggressive micro-transaction in online games. Are we talking "Battle Pass + 25 Battle Pass Levels!" bundle here or something that actually helps you rekt players who didn't pay in-game, by the way? Has anyone actually done that?

I know about the different teams, but my point still stands. CDPR probably bought Spokko to help release Gwent on mobile. Didn't actually expect that they would push a game like WMH. Though, I guess the team had to do something, afterwards.

Yes, Cyberpunk was originally a PnP, but that's completely different. Also, the PnP version was still about story and consequences; digital multiplayer games tend not to be. CP2077 is also about the way you behave and the impact is has on the world. You could make a Fortnite game in a Cyberpunk setting, but that would diminish the impact the setting has.

There are only two ways I can see an online Cyberpunk game work. Either go full MMORPG, which is probably a suicidal move. Or use the existing singleplayer world and create multiplayer content for it, like the Payday (2) heist missions. Regardless, we don't know how much the multiplayer has impacted the development of CP2077. Maybe my worries are all for naught, but I do still wonder.

What point? It's only you assumption. Considering the fact, that CP MP will be released in 2022 (at best), I see no support to your assumption that "MP and other projects affected CP2077"

I also disagree on the "setting" part. Cyberpunk setting is perfect for a co-op MP - gather a team for a single job, run through it, then everyone goes separate ways.

What point? It's only you assumption.

The point that CDPR should focus on what they do best. But, yes, it's only an assumption that CP MP has effected the SP.

I also disagree on the "setting" part. Cyberpunk setting is perfect for a co-op MP - gather a team for a single job, run through it, then everyone goes separate ways.

Which is basically what I said:
Or use the existing singleplayer world and create multiplayer content for it, like the Payday (2) heist missions.

Guest 3847602

I could be out of the loop, but the way I remember it, "some microtransactions" wasn't confirmed a year ago. Only that multiplayer will be monetized but they still haven't decided on how.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't see a reason to be worried. CDPR have said not to expect multiplayer until around 2022, 2 years after release of singleplayer. I'd wager they've only looked at the most basic level of having multiplayer in the game and wont work on it until after the release.

So they're giving us free upgrades on consoles if we buy Cyperpunk 2077 on PS4/Xbox1 to PS5/Xbox Series S. They're releasing a re-mastered version of The Witcher 3 for current and next gen consoles, and PC. If you already own a copy of The Witcher 3, you get that re-mastered upgrade for free. All 16 DLC for Witcher 3 are free from CDPR. I have no idea where you'd get the idea that they would all of a sudden start screwing us over with micro transactions? They're not Rockstar, Activision or EA.

Where does this question even stem from? What possible reason do any of us have to believe that CDPR would change their fundamental business practice after making their Next Gen console version announcement and their Witcher 3 announcement?

I think that this is a really excellent opportunity for :cool:CDProjektRed
to set completely new standards for what fair and respectful microtransactions SHOULD look like.
The world if very messed up and contains many horrible things, but just like the Moxes gang in Cyberpunk lore, they took something like prostitution that was going to exist no matter what, and they essentially regulated it and raised the standards for the worker/gang member as well as the customers, resulting in a safer and healthier environment than what would have existed previously. Prostitution never went away, but because of the Moxes gang, they set a higher standard and said "If it's gonna be done, it should be done LIKE THIS" resulting in a net positive improvement for the world, vs a world in which they had never done what they did, where prostitution would continue to exist, yet in a worse way.

:cool:CDProjektRed
Essentially, are taking something very dirty like microtransactions, something that was going to exist NO MATTER WHAT, whether or not they ever used microtransactions, and essentially said "we're gonna do this right in respect of the customers money" (paraphrasing), as a result the standards and etiquette of microtransactions and corporate-customer relations will be raised and improved.

:think:How do you poison an already poisoned well?
Have essentially pulled a genius move, where they are REVERSE-poisoning the microtransaction well.
They are PURIFYING the well that is already poisoned, rather than poisoning the well.:smart:

SETTING A NEW STANDARD :howdy:

I see no problem with it as long as the multiplayer stays as far away from 2077 as humanly possible and there is zero cross contamination.
100% agree

Well, you always have the option to stop gaming and I dunno, maybe go outside?
Outside is nothing but an endless ocean of schools, hospitals, movie theaters, malls, grocery stores, and highways that take a long time to go nowhere at all.

So they're giving us free upgrades on consoles if we buy Cyperpunk 2077 on PS4/Xbox1 to PS5/Xbox Series S. They're releasing a re-mastered version of The Witcher 3 for current and next gen consoles, and PC. If you already own a copy of The Witcher 3, you get that re-mastered upgrade for free. All 16 DLC for Witcher 3 are free from CDPR. I have no idea where you'd get the idea that they would all of a sudden start screwing us over with micro transactions? They're not Rockstar, Activision or EA.

Where does this question even stem from? What possible reason do any of us have to believe that CDPR would change their fundamental business practice after making their Next Gen console version announcement and their Witcher 3 announcement?
Yea, they are very good, I have faith that this is a secret genius super hero move on their part. :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom