This SPINE trailer....

+
....recently made me think how a Cyberpunk game could look like in 3rd person... would those dynamic battle animations fit the IP or should they still focus on first person view? Personally i think it would be great fun having the opportunity to experience fights in a similar way....yet i know, CDPR most probably wont care what the comm says/thinks but i do... so what are your thoughts about a 3rd person option for further CP titles? ^^

Last edited:
Would it be cool? Sure. It's flashy n' all. But if were being honest, the game doesn't even have a release date yet so what were seeing now and what it actually ends up being could be two totally different things.

Furthermore, it's a beat 'em up action game. It's all about the coolness factor. That's not to say it won't have a good story behind it but it's not meant as a narrative experience either. It's a different genre of game with a very different focus from what CDPR makes and, if they know their community, they know that should they switch to that kind of experience they will lose a sizeable chunk of this community, if not most of it.

And trying to do it all inevitably leads to everything being diluted.

But this is really just re-iterating the 3rd person debate again.... Which we've had multiple threads on and the general consensus amongst the community was "stick to first person" because they nailed it and, as I said above, trying to do both would inevitably dilute both.

But if were being honest, the game doesn't even have a release date yet so what were seeing now and what it actually ends up being could be two totally different things.
well sure thing - but what does it have to do with if people could imagen 3rd view battle mechanics?
Furthermore, it's a beat 'em up action game. It's all about the coolness factor. That's not to say it won't have a good story behind it but it's not meant as a narrative experience either. It's a different genre of game with a very different focus from what CDPR makes
okay you made a point here - spine might be a different genre true, but it doesnt automaticlly says that dynamic battle moves or finisher wouldnt fit CP in general - yet alone while so many player cry for fixing current ones because for them they are "core elements" (not my point of view tho)
and, if they know their community, they know that should they switch to that kind of experience they will lose a sizeable chunk of this community, if not most of it.
i disagree here, if they would know and care their community - we would have been treaten differently - if they would lose "a sizeable chunk if not most" on the other hand is pure subjective assumption, how can you tell?
But this is really just re-iterating the 3rd person debate again.... Which we've had multiple threads on and the general consensus amongst the community was "stick to first person" because they nailed it and, as I said above, trying to do both would inevitably dilute both.
i also dont want to re-open this "versus-debate", just wanted to see if people could imagen 3rd person battles in general. "consensus amongst the community" is yet again subjective, there was a huge interesset in 3rd person all the years. its always funny to see if one speaks for the whole comm just because its his own point of view tho.... after all thanks for your opinion :)

Last edited:
well sure thing - but what does it have to do with if people could imagen 3rd view battle mechanics?

You can imagine a billion things, doesn't mean they're feasible. If the main point of your thread was to ask if people could imagine this in the next CP title you should have said so and the answer is obviously, yes people can imagine it. But I'm fairly confident that's not all you wanted your thread to be about. If I'm incorrect, then say so and I'll have said my piece right there and then - yes I can imagine it.

okay you made a point here - spine might be a different genre true, but it doesnt automaticlly says that dynamic battle moves or finisher wouldnt fit CP in general - yet alone while so many player cry for fixing current ones because for them they are "core elements" (not my point of view tho)

I never said they don't fit. They could. But different games focus on different things.

i disagree here, if they would know and care their community - we would have been treaten differently - if they would lose "a sizeable chunk if not most" on the other hand is pure subjective assumption, how can you tell?

You seem to be conflating two very different things here. Being treated right and knowing what your audience wants are two very different things.

CDPR isn't known for it's incredible third person fighting. Even TW3's combat was rather basic if were being honest and flashy it was not. The community they've built over the years expect RPGs. Shifting away from RPGs will lose a lot of players. We've had plenty of threads on this.

If your next argument is that an RPG can have this kind of combat, sure, I agree, they can but resources are limited and if the choice is between this type of combat and the RPG mechanics depths, I'll take the RPG depth because that's what CDPR does - RPGs.

i also dont want to re-open this "versus-debate", just wanted to see if people could imagen 3rd person battles in general. "consensus amongst the community" is yet again subjective, there were a huge interesset in 3rd person all the years. its always funny to see if one speaks for the whole comm just because its his own point of view tho.... after all i got you personally wont like it - thanks for your opinion :)

Well you're criticizing me for speaking for the whole community, which I am not(more on that in a second), but you're actually speaking for me specifically here. I never said I wouldn't like it. Just because I'm not outright going "OH YEAH, I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE" doesn't mean I wouldn't like it.

Now as for "speaking for the community"... I am not. Go look around if you feel like it. There were plenty of threads here about this very subject and the consensus always went with first person is preferred for the next game.

I think you're interpreting me saying "consensus" a little too literally. Just because some people disagree doesn't mean there isn't a "consensus". I get that consensus means the group agrees as a whole but I don't think anyone here would disagree that there is a consensus on the earth being a sphere yet flat earthers are are thing. So let's change that to "majority" instead of consensus if you prefer. You'll find the majority seems to want first person to continue to be the focus in future CP titles. Again, plenty of threads pointed to that. It's not jut me saying that because of my own personal opinion.

And you say you don't want to re-open this debate but your OP literally ends with

so what are your thoughts about a 3rd person option for further CP titles? ^^

It's pretty much asking to re-open the debate.

Allow me to clarify my own stance on the subject.

I'd welcome the option of third person personally. I'm not saying you are wrong for wanting third person, I used to be a third person while traveling, first person in combat type of person but CP2077 changed my mind around on even first person travel. I personally would rather they stick to first person as the main focus but if they can do that type of 3rd person combat without sacrificing elsewhere I would fully welcome it.

so what are your thoughts about a 3rd person option for further CP titles?
My thoughts and only mine?
Well, to be short, I don't care...
As long as they still offer the same first person quality, CDPR can do whatever they want aside. I won't use third person if there is a first person anyway :)

nc_01

Forum regular
I am personally vary happy with 1st person. It lets me soak in better into the world, explore and experience it. I can look at what is happening from the inside and really feel it. It is me being V and not looking at her/him from outside.

There is so much pressure on this forum for 3rd person...

For me personally, first person is more immersive. It's not that i don't like third person, I do still like third person games but I just find first person more immersive.

I do have Spine on my whishlist for a while now. I have one critical point, I don't like her hair style. I don't like those two knots. I just hate this kind of style. Just give her hair like Songbird, Judy or Lucy but not two knots. Rita is kinda okay, she kinda looks okay'ish with her hairstyle. But this character in Spine, I just find her a bit "childish" looking with that hair. Hope we can change her hairstyle.

Other than that I can't wait for it to play it.

Last edited:
....recently made me think how a Cyberpunk game could look like in 3rd person... would those dynamic battle animations fit the IP or should they still focus on first person view? Personally i think it would be great fun having the opportunity to experience fights in a similar way....yet i know, CDPR most probably wont care what the comm says/thinks but i do... so what are your thoughts about a 3rd person option for further CP titles? ^^

Not interested in 3rd person for this game honestly.

Given what you can or should be able to do in this game, one mode will inherently suffer. I think the only time I've seen them mesh well was a mod for Halo Infinite, and that's largely because the game was set up for MP aaaaand you don't have a bunch of actions that diverge from pointing a weapon and shooting. That game doesn't even have ADS so... anyway!

I do think 3rd person finishers could be excellent though. Gives players a chance to see their character, in a sexy action sequence to boot, while still leaving the gameplay and animation teams capable of delivering a quality FP experience. Perhaps 3rd person cinematics for the major story beats that remain unchanged regardless of player choices as well.

From what I've seen, a combo of a selectable playable main female protagonist, and 3rd person perspective from this particular dev-team, is out of the question. They've also shown me that once a workplan has been set, they stick with it.

Knowing that, it's save to assume further CP titles will at all times be 1st person only.

That said, these TPP animations of SPINE, could end up very feasible to be ported over to Cyberpunk. But that's up to the modding community's dedication and will.

PS: Thank you for showing SPINE. Gonna look it up to see what's it about and if it will be on sale on Steam. Looks great.

Wow this is that OLD combat shooter game from 20 years ago on steroids. One of the first to combine H2H and shooting and parkour. What was it called Oui? I really wish I fished that game before it became to old to run on modern PC. I stop play once I got to the airport and got stuck and some other new games stole my attention away.

Wow this is that OLD combat shooter game from 20 years ago on steroids. One of the first to combine H2H and shooting and parkour. What was it called Oui? I really wish I fished that game before it became to old to run on modern PC. I stop play once I got to the airport and got stuck and some other new games stole my attention away.

Are you speaking of Oni?

I played this soooooo much as a teen.

Are you speaking of Oni?

I played this soooooo much as a teen.

I also saw this on the Steam forums, someone also posted Oni over there aswell. I've played that game like twenty years ago, probably even longer. I almost forgot about this game. I've played it a lot when I was so young.

Top Bottom