[SPOILERS] Post your PL (and patch 2.0) reviews here

+
Hey,
I am creating this thread for the community to share their reviews on Phantom Liberty.

I haven't finished the expansion yet, but I am absolutely loving it.
Even more, I think it's incredible, superior, far beyond anything I have ever seen, out of this world, like nothing else,...and I could go on :ok:
So far it's the best game/DLC I have ever played!

The technology has got far enough for me to immerse in the gameplay fully - the graphics, music, animations, effects, level design, etc. - they look absolutely mind-blowing.

I am gonna split my review into several parts reflecting the main story:

I liked it a lot. The notion of space, darkness and light; and moving through it.
For me it's what the base game was missing - better utilization of available mechanics.
However, it became kind of long and monotonous after a while.
And I didn't get how could place like this exist at all - a destroyed and abandoned mega-building with nothing but points to jump between - I didn't find it realistic.

Some more jumping, I was getting tired of it.
But staying on the call with Songbird (gonna call her SB further on) was nice, and the open space of the stadium was nice.
I liked that the rockets left smoke behind them and I could get a notion of where they could've possibly come from.
The combat sequence was quite long, and after saving the president it continued some more...I was getting tired of it.

I loved hiding from the drones which were scanning buildings with reflectors - I find it to be a nice alternative/expansion to an ever-present sneaking from human opponent's FoV.
I liked the idea of stealing the Barghest vehicle, but was disappointed when they noticed V inside it - I hoped that since it was optional, they wouldn't notice at all.

I liked the fight quite a lot - the individual parts it was made from - especially the "frontal run", how SB hacked it, and how there were heavy weapons at the end, to be able to deal some more damage to it.
And I didn't like the "God of War"-like finishers (catching the ropes, putting a grenade inside it, that it dropped the core)

Absolutely loved the sequence with two random guys coming in, dialogues with them, that they actually kept their word and didn't tell Kurt.

I didn't like Myers was gone so suddenly, but liked meeting the trio - Reed, SB, Alex.
It was nice to meet them confronting each other.
The writing, locations, mood,...were amazing.

I liked his concept and how he was able to reach SB, but hated that he died shortly after meeting him - writing was good, I just hoped he...wouldn't...die so...horribly.

This was the best part for me so far. The design (mist, blue flames, carpets, lights,...), music, the crowd looked natural and I liked eavesdropping on the celebrities.
The performance on the stage was a touch from God - absolutely mindblowing - the effects, music, actor's movements - I was just staring at my monitor, jaw to the ground.
I loved interactions between characters - meeting SB with Reed - how SB stayed sided to him and was looking away, and how she left the shard in the glass with such elegance even Kurt who stood one step next to her didn't notice. And how Reed was just observing, not saying much.
And I was about to shit myself when Kurt arrived.
Also, the roulette with the twins was absolutely brilliant - I loved the dialogues, Alex's hints, the twin's (facial) expressions, and dialogues with Kurt who gave my V a chance to leave - I have never seen this - walking between hordes of enemies knowing I did blow away my best chance to free SB.
Edit: And the "2D minigame" with helping Reed to stay hidden from Barghest patrols was beyond insane - my jaw dropped once more.

Loved meeting Alex in the bar, talking and dancing with her - amazing atmosphere!
And the same with SB in the community place.
I loved how they opened up, and I loved how the dialogues were amazingly written and thought off, with tons of empathy - I selected that I don't trust SB and she said she understands and appreciates the honesty - amazingly well woven into the scene, mood, and the state she was in!

That's when my jaw dropped once more - when hacking the antenna and the boy asked for $1000.
Lol! What a great touch, absolutely loved it. And his game as well.
I like it when such "open-world things" happen to be parts of quests.

I loved roleplaying the twins with the tooltip! Amazing!
And hated getting the implant - it was too much for me - I would rather run guns blazing to rescue SB than have my face replaced.

I didn't like the decision to escape with SB or try to stun her with Reed's tech.
I loved the whole trio - Reed, SB, Alex - all were amazing and showed great personalities throughout the story - I would like to help all of them.
Feels like there was a missing middle part or something.

So, I "betrayed" SB while extracting the matrix and then didn't kill her in the core, and I got the new ending.
I think that this part was well done, but the walk through the facility felt ridiculously long - disable many systems, and hide from the robot (I really liked the horror atmosphere, but hated that the robot was moving around too often).
SB's "room memories" were amazing - literally Matrix (virtual reality) - well done - and I loved the design of how they were consumed by the Blackwall.
I liked the new locations at the very end, talking to the president once more, and getting the relic out of V's head.
The model of the older Misty looked amazing.
I was (negatively) amazed by the new feel of NC, Arasaka backing out, Victor's sold clinic and V getting the boring life.
What struck me was that the rehab took 2 years instead of the promised few weeks or months, and many characters including Panam moved on.
From this point of view, it felt really sad - and as V mentioned - everything looked like it lost its 2077 warming charm and has gone grey steel sterile...

The ending hit me hard, I felt empty for a while after getting it, and I was thinking about whether it held any real-life value - and came to the conclusion that it didn't, partly because the CP universe and its values are different.
No one in their right mind should want to risk such crazy consequences including painful death, getting brain sucked out by the blackwall, etc...to grow legend overnight. So, I came to think the motto of the Afterlife is pure shit.

Also, about the 2079 "moderna" negativity - I think that it can be looked at from the perspective of the Uroboros cycle - the old goes away, and the new comes to replace it. And that the "new era" always compensates for values which were missing in the previous one. Meaning the new one may look more depressing, but maybe the one after that will not. That the cycle starts small and ends big, and that all the good and all the bad goes away...

And I liked there were both positive and negative responses in the dialogues, so I was free to choose whether to be negative or not. That was really nice - and that's what I took from it - eras/fuck ups/good moments may come and go, but you can always choose who you are and what you do about it.
Unless some corpo sucks out your brain and you can choose no longer, of course :)

Last edited:
Got about 20 hrs not being too serious in 2.0. I've installed a copy of 1.63 to compare. I like the visual and the gameplay improvements but hate many of the changes. Grenades, silenced revolvers, net-tracing, leveled enemies, leveled loot and clothing changes are horrible for me.

I liked the fight quite a lot - the individual parts it was made from - especially the "frontal run", how SB hacked it, and how there were heavy weapons at the end, to be able to deal some more damage to it.
And I didn't like the "God of War"-like finishers (catching the ropes, putting a grenade inside it, that it dropped the core)
Sadly, I didn't like it at all, from the start to the end... I only use blades, so it seem completely stupid to beat him with my katana and even more throwing knives on it.
Overall, just seem to be a big mess to me. Not fun, not interesting.

I liked it.

Strong points:
  • Corpo / politicians putting their sugary disgustingness on full display
  • Cool new area
  • out of control NUSA sleeper agents making Johnny look like a sage
  • Sol and Alex are great additions
  • setting up a good Arisaka / Militech battle for the sequel
  • abuse of the Blackwall removes any lingering guilt about my head canon rewrite of V and Johnny surviving the relic due to the intervention of super-Delamain and his AI pals beyond the Blackwall.
Weak Points:
  • missed opportunity to properly resolve the relic issue without us having to head canon out the braindead level idiocy of a story that requires sprinting through the main quest and ignoring the rest of the game to be even remotely true to the story.
  • setting up a good Arisaka / Militech battle that we already know won't be explored until a sequel that's who-knows-how many years off into the future.
  • low IQ writing on the part of whomever decided to make Johnny enthusiastic about V pursuing Song Bird's cure, since the matrix will flatline Johnny when it restores V.

I liked it overall. How they handled the questline for Hands feels like how they should've handled the other Fixers as it makes for a more engaging narrative in-universe. I think they did slightly better with Disability portrayal than the main campaign did, worse in other cases; the contrasting perspectives of a few characters later on quite honestly are the saving grace. Exploration of the district feels much more immersive and rewarding than most of the other districts.

Ok, after exploring Dogtown for a little while, I feel a slightly "disappointed" by Dogtown :(
It look gorgeous and I have a blast to explore it, but doesn't seem to be "Cyberpunk" (for me, so subjective and I might be wrong). I mean, to me, it's more a "post-apocalyptic" neighborhood than cyberpunk.
I didn't get the visual slap I got when exploring Kabuki or Japan Town for the first time.

I honestly think they should redo the ending... it's really not good. Give us a happy ending. True Happy ending. Make a thread about it, a petition... more than half of the fan base wants it.

Sadly, I didn't like it at all, from the start to the end...
I forgot to mention some things I didn't like (Normal difficulty):
- the fight took me about 40 mins from start to finish (with few restarts) - quite long
- I didn't find a way to dodge Chimera's laser
- the same with Chimera's AOE bombardment while carying the heavy gun
- I was close to dying few times and really didn't want to repeat the fight (or it's part) all over again

It must have been hell to fight it with sword.
How did you manage?
Did you use the heavy guns in the room? Were you able to dodge the laser?

I forgot to mention some things I didn't like (Normal difficulty):
- the fight took me about 40 mins from start to finish (with few restarts) - quite long
- I didn't find a way to dodge Chimera's laser
- the same with Chimera's AOE bombardment while carying the heavy gun
- I was close to dying few times and really didn't want to repeat the fight (or it's part) all over again

It must have been hell to fight it with sword.
How did you manage?
Did you use the heavy guns in the room? Were you able to dodge the laser?
Very hard, level 51 (20 Reflex, 20 Tech), all cyberwares Tier 5 minimum, Sandevistan Militech Apogee and Byakko katana.
It wasn't difficult at all :(
I remained in close combat between his "legs" (almost under it), so impossible to hit me with the laser, the machine guns or the missiles, I just had to avoid from time to time being crushed by these melee attacks. The fight was done in less than 2 minutes in one try.

I HATE IT, I LOVE IT, but I can't even play something we all paid for so my anger is now directed at CDPR themselves.

For the silence, and nothing in terms of fixing problems many are facing with PHANTOM LIBERTY.

It's worse than launch and my views on every single person at CDPR just pisses me off.

They wanted our faith and trust in them to return and all they did was destroy it further. I don't care what reviews give them high scores because you honestly don't deserve it. A game needs to work for the systems you create them for, not for NEXT-NEXT gen developing on your super computers that NOT EVERYONE has.

I am angry and you get zero stars, two thumbs down, whatever, I don't care, your reputation is down the toilet. I am pissed off that other people are playing this with no problems. That youtubers have spoiled EVERYTHING in their titles and endings. While I can't even touch the game without the AUTOSAVE/QUICKSAVE bug crashing the game.

I hate you for making a beautiful game and my memories of it are now marred with hatred for your company.

ZERO FOR ZERO.

Very hard, level 51 (20 Reflex, 20 Tech), all cyberwares Tier 5 minimum, Sandevistan Militech Apogee and Byakko katana.
It wasn't difficult at all :(
But how is this possible?
Didn't the patch 2.0 or PL introduce enemy scaling?
I would expect it to last at least a bit longer.
Were you using any AOE attacks?
How did you manage to destroy all of the weak spots and the drones so quickly?

But how is this possible?
Didn't the patch 2.0 or PL introduce enemy scaling?
I would expect it to last at least a bit longer.
Were you using any AOE attacks?
How did you manage to destroy all of the weak spots and the drones so quickly?
Sandevistan Apogee + Byakko, powerful combo (maybe too poweful*). And if you're very close, I mean almost below, Chimera can't hit you except with its "legs-melee" attack. So you're safe, as long as you avoid its legs :giggle:

Sandevistan slow time by 85% (so enemies barely move) for 8 secondes, reload time 25 secondes. You can also reactivate it, even if it's no fully loaded (so less "slowed" time indeed, but useful to dodge something like being crushed by the legs^^). Beside, with stamina cost reduction, attack speed and various other bonuses, Byakko can deal an insane amount of damages in no times.
Onside note, +20% of time each time you kill an enemi on the Sandevistan, I can clear 7-8 enemies before my Sandevistan run out and, enemies be able to fight back...

But yeah, I was also surprised how easy (and not very fun) the fight was, in very hard.

*I suspect CDPR will nerf it at some point :D

It was good when i started but now I will have to let you know in 6 months time when I can play without losing my previous save points I've already lost over 50 hours since I started playing PL.

The beginning of Phantom Liberty is pretty offensive towards netrunners. Here I am as V (A badass netrunner in his/her own right [depending on the build]) and I need to rely on this other netrunner to open doors and move elevators for me. Definitely some "wtf" moments for sure. Also the intro takes way too long to complete I definitely didn't know the intro would be 75% of the content hopefully we'll be able to skip some of it and get straight to the open world of dogtown faster at some point.

The fight with Kurt was very hard for me on Normal difficulty, and ridiculous to play out...

I was maxing smart weapons but didn't get how they work (they were missing on enemies even when they were in the weapon's "focus" area).
And Kurt was completely unbeatable in melee combat for me.

That alone would be fine, but I didn't find any other mechanic to fight him effectively.
So I was just running in circles around the statue to deplete his charges and then hit him with everything I managed to pull off in a window of like 5 seconds...

I was dealing like 1-3% of his HP with my heaviest attacks, and he went melee when he dropped to 70% health, so the fight took me like 20 minutes on a successful run... D:

Thoughts on Chimera...
I think mine bugged out or something. I played on Very Hard and I just kept instantly dying. I fought the damned thing for about 90 minutes to try to figure it out. I tried hiding behind walls, running at certain points and even got to the point where I just looked up a guide being like "Am I just stupid?". This was especially frustrating because the thing has like three mechanics. I would think I had them figured out - like for the big laser thing I would hide behind a wall or box or something... and most of the time it wouldn't hit me, but then it would like... randomly clip through the wall and instantly kill me? So... uhh... yeah.

Eventually just turned the game down to the lowest difficulty to beat it - then turned it back up.

Maybe I am just bad or didn't get it or something... but even if it wasn't bugged - the damn thing still took forever (Got it down to around 10-20% a few times before I would get killed and not understand why I died). Didn't enjoy the fight at all. Some of the graphics and visuals were cool - but the fight could have taken about a quarter of the time and it would have been a lot cooler.

One more thing I would like to mention was the sound of rain while standing under Barghest tents :)

Top Bottom