Ties should not give both players a round win.

+

Guest 3944120

Ties should not give both players a round win.

As the title says. Got beta access late last night and played a couple games against other people before I jumped off (will we be able to play against friends in the full game?) and one of the games I was in the first round was a tie. I love Gwent, been hanging on getting into the beta since they announced it, so when I passed and my opponent was tied for strength with me (after using more cards than me) and then passed I thought "Silly! Now no one wins". Wrong. The round was tied and we both got a round win, so Round 2 was the decider. This is a silly mechanic for me. This is a game about calling bluffs and taking risks and you shouldn't be able to automatically get a round win just for tieing the round. The whole point is to maybe decide to pull back so you go into the next round with more cards than your opponent or less things that can be pilfered from your graveyard. Tied rounds should not award both players a round win.

I think that maybe that is so in order to prevent matches from extending beyond the three round limit?

Don't understand why a tie shouldn't give victory. It is basically how it works every where and it is quite fair. Else we have to do a 4th or 5th round with no cards ?

Maokiel;n6912650 said:
Don't understand why a tie shouldn't give victory. It is basically how it works every where and it is quite fair. Else we have to do a 4th or 5th round with no cards ?

Uh, that's exactly what I wanted to say. You are the most articulate badger I've ever met :)

In Witcher 3 the Nilfgaard faction ability was to win tie games. It's possible they are planning to bring this back. I think the win/win system is better than lose/lose. You're just not likely to have enough cards in your hand/deck for games with more than 3 rounds.

I think win-win ties are great. You can aim for a tie in round one against the opponents with decks that are perticularly strong in round 3. So that there won't be any round three.
The only strange thing is, if your whole match ends in a tie it counts as a win-win on endscreen, but doesn't give any rewards to anyone.
I've experienced it more then once. And it feels a bit odd.

My problem with ties is that the system for them contradicts itself.

Tie in Round 1? It counts as a win for both players. Tie in Round 2? If one player won Round 1, that player will get the win for the overall match. Both of those situations consider tying a win, basically.

And then you have ties in Round 3. They in the crown for both players like winning overall matches do, but they don't actually get the benefit of a win. That makes it a win on paper, but a loss in reality.

That needs to be changed if you ask me. Either give players an "overtime" match by adding a forth round or let a tie in Round 3 give BOTH players a post-match reward.

Top Bottom