Regis Bloodlust - Hotfix candidate!

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Anyhow sooner or later someone is going to create a thread about this stupid junk card which needs would need an immediate hotfix, but wont happen. Downloaded the game a while ago, opened the deckbuild, somehow mustered enough motivation to build a new ST deck and played my first game. It was against Overwhelming Hunger, vomitting 60+ points in 5 cards. So, passed R1. Then the opponent went on to play the Boat guy, Merchant to give his Regis to me, Played Golyat and used the leader to summon Regis and won the round. My entire deck banished. I just Alt+F4ed and reminded myself why I took so much time to play my first game on patch day.

Seriously, what an amazing game it was and what a pathetic s**ts**w it is. Actually, there is nothing you can do about it. If someone adds enough tutors, they can easily pull it off almost every single game and we can't do s**t about it. I will wait for a hotfix which may come at the month end. But as long as this Regis BL s**t is in its current state, there is no reason to play this garbage.

Just added a comment in the patch notes thread flagging the same issue. Unbelievable. A strong contender for the worst card the game has ever seen, which is saying something. Enough of these stupid gimmick cards.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yep, saw some complaints on reddit. I ended up facing one, i never passed, he put it on my deck but i was running SK and discarded to get it - which is still very risky - but i had even more pointslam than them and won.

But i expect an hotfix for him in the next 48h, the devs always manage to miss the most toxic strategies and how complex cards get abused, sometimes on the very 1st day they're released.

Well i just back yesterday One Day before patch.

Read this thread and thinked

"vem em mim" (in portuguese in something like "come to me")

Get my melitele deck and started to play, i am at a top rank right now (because i quit for 6 months).

When my opponent realyzed He couldnt win He tried to steal my melitele with his 2 mercant (wich it a was a good idea indeed, but didnt worked)

Than He tried to put my melitele in deck consuming golyat, but He gets my (cant remember The name, The Card wich gain charges when back to deck).

After a long round where He used matta, a lot of specials with book (both used book) He wins The round One with One Card down and using Regis in his side.

Both ended round One with 6 cards on deck.

Guess what? I win round 2 and Regis banished his 3 cards left deck.

Oh oh

lol this guy described my case exactly. just wanted to give it a try and the first opponent was doing the stuff above.
imagine you get paid for testing the game patch and you just let this through :D
my only explanation is that they test the new cards/decks againt an AI and never play gwent themselves.
can't blame them, if the game is closing and there's no competition for the job :D

Somehow reminds me of "Terranova spam" when he was introduced - before the card was fixed. I hope this card will be too, because now it's not only broken, it also makes absolutely no sense lore-wise. Why couldn't they leave poor deathblow Regis alone, just maybe making him 6 power or something?

I'm with you on this. Plus the card design isn't lore-wise at all. He's a vampire ffs. Could he just have some vampire ability, please? ... How could anyone even think about ruining him this way? :(

DRK3

Forum veteran
Regis is actually a vegetarian vampire (By the time of the books) and is probably the most peaceful and least bloodthirsty of Geralt's Hansa.
Maybe the card depicts him in his youth years, where he was a raging alcoholic, i mean blood-drinker... :confused:

My observation has been that CDPR is pretty good about nerfing cards/archetypes that win too frequently; it is horrible about addressing binary cards with average or low win rates. I think whether the Regis: Bloodlust / Golyat deck is truly OP will be the deciding factor regarding the nerf.

So, Is this deck truly OP? It only really requires 4 cards (Regis, Golyat, Ofiri Merchant, and Dol Dhu Lokke) and one consume (probably from an Overwhelming Hunger leader). This is only four cards costing only 29 total provisions for a match winning combination. Of course, there is a lot that can go wrong -- the issue is whether these mishaps can be made infrequent.

Major reasons the combo might fail are: not drawing necessary pieces in round 1, the opponent winning round one, the opponent milling Regis, or the opponent "dealing with" an unwanted Regis.
  • Necessary draws: because the basic combo is cheap, it is easy to include several tutors. I would include Oneiromancy (to tutor Dol Dhu Lokke if necessary), Triss: Butterflies (to return Regis to deck if necessary), Royal Decree (for more tutoring), and Arcane Tome (to draw Oneiromancy or Royal Decree). This gives about an 86% chance of getting the needed cards in hand (with very little risk of bricking Regis in hand). That certainly feels more OP than binary.
  • Winning round one — this is probably the wild card; hard to evaluate without experience and very dependent upon both the Regis deck’s supporting cast and the opponent’s deck. With 37 provisions devoted to tutors, my proposed Regis deck is somewhat disadvantaged — and it “gives” the opponent a 20 point Regis. On the other hand it can afford to go all in round one — and most opponents can’t. And, depending on circumstance, Regis could be omitted or even played as a friendly card. I would expect that only decks capable of very aggressive round 1 tempo have a viable chance competing round one.
  • There are a few options for milling Regis. Ihuarraquax is the most generally available and most effective — but even it could hit a card like Brewess: Ritual instead. Other mill strategies are sufficiently rare and hit and miss that they are not really a threat to the deck success rate.
  • Dealing with an unwanted Regis is not trivial. The most reliable method would be Heatwave — but spending 10 provisions on a negative 20 point play might still leave an uphill struggle. Other self-affecting tall punish might remove the instant lose condition, but still spend a lot of provisions on a very bad play. And they leave the high possibility of getting milled by three cards. A few archetypes could self-poison, consume, or transform Regis — but these are hardly standard deck inclusions.
Unfortunately, there might be enough of these (admittedly extremely binary) negative occurrences to keep a Regis deck win rate sufficiently low that it is not judged OP. To really judge, I would have to try it against a variety of decent competition. And that would be no fun for either me or my opponent.

On the bright side — at least with closed deck lists, I suppose another deck could masquerade as a Regis deck — tricking an opponent into over committing round one. Unless, of course, the opponent just forfeits to avoid the supposed Regis deck.

Last edited:
OP or not, card like this shouldn't exist in the first place. 2nd. There's nothing vampirey about it. He is a vampire that lust for blood not for cards or deck... there's no lore friendliness about his ability. 3rd. It's a mill card for some werid reason someone thought of course people enjoy playing against mill so why not make a card which mill your enitre deck. What worse will happen? They think I am so pro that I will not face this chessy deck so it's fine watching the world burn while sitting in their castle. 4th Tell me any deck which will not abuse it and play it normally. 5th. If they can't make a card good at least don't make it worse. I would rather take his old ability than this trash garrabage.

rrc

Forum veteran
We are way past lore friendliness a long time back. I don't give a damn about lore friendliness or not. But this crap should not exist in the game. I haven't played another game yet. I won't until this garbage gets fixed.

What is the point of building a deck and thinking of how to play when the opponent can simply win in R1? You say, don't pass and keep playing? What kind of a pathetic game that would be to simply keep playing because the opponent MAY play Regis?

BTW, how is the situation now? How often this s**t is encountered in the games? The issue is there may be other toxic crap which can win this and they both balance themselves leaving players who want to play normal decks and the devs would say this has acceptable win rate, so it is fine. What a piece of garbage?!

Unfortunately, there might be enough of these (admittedly extremely binary) negative occurrences to keep a Regis deck win rate sufficiently low that it is not judged OP.

I completely disagree with you on this, quintivarium .
In my opinion, this is not about Regis decks being OP, it's about customer experience.
It's about how the game is perceived by its playerbase: unpleasant (polite word replacing something else).

I don't give a damn about lore friendliness or not.
A shame, really. Without ties to the Witcher world lore Gwent is just one of many CCGs. And I believe that's what mostly led to broken unbalanced cards that make no sense - nothing to keep the devs in check.

In my opinion, this is not about Regis decks being OP, it's about customer experience.
It's about how the game is perceived by its playerbase: unpleasant (polite word replacing something else).

But I fear this is the big problem - it's not about how the game is perceived by the existing player base. It should be, but it isn't.

I suspect long-term players are much less likely to spend money on the game, so there's no incentive for the devs to keep them happy. Much better for them to try to attract new players with gimmicky new cards and game mechanics, lure them into spending some money, then forget about them. It's been like that for some time, and I fear the only solution would be to go to a subscription model, which they won't do. At least that way they would be genuinely motivated to keep players happy in the long term.

I think I am being misinterpreted — I am not discussing whether Regis SHOULD be addressed, I am addressing whether it WILL be addressed. There are literally dozens of unpleasant, binary cards that are left untouched — and the only reason I can think of is that their win rate is low enough that developers don’t flag them as problems. I fear Regis could be thrown in the same category.

How else can one explain any of the following:
Urn of Shadows
The Eternal Eclipse
Endless Voyage
Tyr
Dagon
Viy
Dana
Renfri
Fucusya
Torres
Saskia: Commander
King Chum
Vilgefortz: Renegade
King Demavend
Kimbolt
Artaud
Henselt
Triss: Meteor Shower
Melitele
Simlas
Temple of Melitele
Tibor
Sove
Witchfinder
Fulmar
Archerontia
Gezras
Eist
King of Beggers
Heist
Garrison
Tugo
Brouver
Casimir
Skellen
Brewess: Ritual
Vernossiel
King Foltest
Quaraxis
Lippy
Braathens
Milva: Sharpshooter
Cleaver

(I only got through 11 provision cards before getting sick of the list — there are just as many game-ruining cards at lower provision.)

In fairness, I think I should add that I think there is at least some basis for the developer’s balance approach — it is easy to objectively measure OP (by using win rates); objectively measuring player experience is not so easy.

Last edited:
I think I am being misinterpreted — I am not discussing whether Regis SHOULD be addressed, I am addressing whether it WILL be addressed. There are literally dozens of unpleasant, binary cards that are left untouched — and the only reason I can think of is that their win rate is low enough that developers don’t flag them as problems. I fear Regis could be thrown in the same category.

How else can one explain any of the following:
Urn of Shadows
The Eternal Eclipse
Endless Voyage
Tyr
Dagon
Viy
Dana
Renfri
Fucusya
Torres
Saskia: Commander
King Chum
Vilgefortz: Renegade
King Demavend
Kimbolt
Artaud
Henselt
Triss: Meteor Shower
Melitele
Simlas
Temple of Melitele
Tibor
Sove
Witchfinder
Fulmar
Archerontia
Gezras
Eist
King of Beggers
Heist
Garrison
Tugo
Brouver
Casimir
Skellen
Brewess: Ritual
Vernossiel
King Foltest
Quaraxis
Lippy
Braathens
Milva: Sharpshooter
Cleaver

(I only got through 11 provision cards before getting sick of the list — there are just as many game-ruining cards at lower provision.)

In fairness, I think I should add that I think there is at least some basis for the developer’s balance approach — it is easy to objectively measure OP (by using win rates); objectively measuring player experience is not so easy.
Of course they WON'T. Unless community keeps nagging them about a specific card (so this topic is the best response to the mutilation of poor Regis).
As for the list - it's easier to create one for balanced cards. But what's wrong with Gezras, Vernossiel (and I mean pre-Cargo Vernossiel), Braathens (isn't Terranova WAY worse?) and Brouver ( I understand he's deadly in a medium round with a long row, but he can be countered)?

DRK3

Forum veteran
My observation has been that CDPR is pretty good about nerfing cards/archetypes that win too frequently; it is horrible about addressing binary cards with average or low win rates.
I have to disagree. I would argue they are terrible at both.
NG Torres, Battle Stations, pretty much all the flanking soldiers. NR with temple and mutagenerator in every deck.
SK with Sove + Tyr/Svalblod in every deck.
We cant say with certainty these are the decks with highest winrates because they stopped posting results like they used to do. But its pretty obvious.

BTW, how is the situation now? How often this s**t is encountered in the games?
You dont find it that often in ranked. Instead its a ton of the old metadecks because the new cards are awkward or too expensive... unless its the NG ones, that is. those you will see for sure...

Top Bottom