UEFA EURO 2012: I'm sorry...but I have to, can't help it.

+
nocny said:
No heart, no balls, no idea. This is a Polish football players. Only Błaszczykowski played.

Come on, it wasn't so bad. I feel sorry for Tytoń, he was doing his best. Shame he couldn't score ;)

nocny said:
No heart, no balls, no idea. This is a Polish football players. Only Błaszczykowski played.
Don't worry that Polish football isn't something to be proud of. Poland has other qualities and highlights, e.g. in the game industry: CDPR and their Witcher games and Andrzej Sapkowski who invented the Witcher world

Guest 2091327

Pangaea said:
Once again Ronaldo has been a bit disappointing for his national team. Remember he did pretty well back in 2004 or thereabouts, but since then he hasn't been able to get out his potential for Portugal. Suppose it's easier to mark him out when they don't really have that many other fantastic players, like Real or United have/had, but still, he needs to perform for Portugal too.

(He'll probably run riot against the Dutch now :D )

Well, look at that

Three groups completed with only one really good upset, Greece over Russia. Of the teams knocked out, maybe the Netherlands was the biggest disappointment, Russia was the biggest surprise, and Ireland had the classiest fans.

The Greek and Russian newspapers are, well, Greek to me. Any impression of how the press in Greece and Russia have taken that upset?

GuyN said:
Three groups completed with only one really good upset, Greece over Russia. Of the teams knocked out, maybe the Netherlands was the biggest disappointment, Russia was the biggest surprise, and Ireland had the classiest fans.

The Greek and Russian newspapers are, well, Greek to me. Any impression of how the press in Greece and Russia have taken that upset?

In Russia the press simply thrashed the team, leaving no survivors. Their coach left Poland right after the match, not even waited for the team. There was also an incident during the night after the match, when a group of rowdy Russian fans(reported to be drunk) occupying the same hotel as the team started to insult the players when they got back from the stadium. Russian security couldn't help, as the "fans" claimed to have connections in the Russian parliament.

gregski said:
In Russia the press simply thrashed the team, leaving no survivors. Their coach left Poland right after the match, not even waited for the team. There was also an incident during the night after the match, when a group of rowdy Russian fans(reported to be drunk) occupying the same hotel as the team started to insult the players when they got back from the stadium. Russian security couldn't help, as the "fans" claimed to have connections in the Russian parliament.

Thank you for the account. Sad; they started the tournament so well. But kudos to Greece for playing tough all three games; they seem to be relishing their upcoming showdown with Germany.

Guest 2091327

Germany will tear them a new one. Greece played well, sort of, against Russia, but I felt the result was more down to Russian refising to try anything but play through the very tight middle than Greece doing so well. But like they say, you make your own luck. It's the only real surprise so far, though, and surprises are always nice in tournaments like this.

Will be interesting to see how England and Ukraine do today.

gregski said:
omg... what an embarrassment. Do these fans know that they represent the Russian community and even the country? Do they have an IQ or just a note in their skull "you are looking here for brain in vain."

PetraSilie said:
omg... what an embarrassment. Do these fans know that they represent the Russian community and even the country? Do they have an IQ or just a note in their skull "you are looking here for brain in vain."

I know how embarassed Russians can feel about that, kinda the same as I felt a few nights earlier during Russian - Polish hooligans clashes.

I must say, Ukraine played well.. England, good but nothing special.. but, what is the PURPOSE of assistant line ref ? He is like 3 meters from the goal and he doesn't see that the ball was CLEARY behind the line.. FIFA and UEFA, get your sh.., ehmm, things right.. this isn't the first time something like this happened - basically, this happens too often

Pangaea said:
Will be interesting to see how England and Ukraine do today.
Great day for football :mad: France backs into the quarterfinals arse-first, and England wins the group by sandbagging.

Seriously, Sweden played a fine game; it's too bad they didn't play like that earlier. And if I were coaching a solid defensive English team against an enthusiastic Ukrainian team that would take every shot they were given, I would have done the same.

But France advancing is an embarrassment.

misho87233 said:
I must say, Ukraine played well.. England, good but nothing special.. but, what is the PURPOSE of assistant line ref ? He is like 3 meters from the goal and he doesn't see that the ball was CLEARY behind the line.. FIFA and UEFA, get your sh.., ehmm, things right.. this isn't the first time something like this happened - basically, this happens too often

The problem is the line ref is really not 3 meters away, and cannot run as fast as the players or the ball, so his angle of view may not be the best to see if indeed the ball is in our not in a play that close. We get the benefit to see the slo-mo replay directly on top of the goal. Not so different from some offsides calls. As long as the number of referees stays at 3, and FIFA refuses to adopt any type of technology, we will continue to see these type of calls or non-calls.

That said, The Ukraine got robbed.

SystemShock7 said:
The problem is the line ref is really not 3 meters away, and cannot run as fast as the players or the ball, so his angle of view may not be the best to see if indeed the ball is in our not in a play that close. We get the benefit to see the slo-mo replay directly on top of the goal. Not so different from some offsides calls. As long as the number of referees stays at 3, and FIFA refuses to adopt any type of technology, we will continue to see these type of calls or non-calls.

That said, The Ukraine got robbed.

I believe he meant the 5 and 6 referee, you now those who where added to stand there watching if the ball is in or out. (those should be 18 Yards away, directly on the line and don't run around)

sanamia said:
I believe he meant the 5 and 6 referee, you now those who where added to stand there watching if the ball is in or out. (those should be 18 Yards away, directly on the line and don't run around)

Oh! I wasn't aware goal-line refs were added... wow... unbelievable they missed that.

Yes, it was a pretty big error on the part of the goal-line referee, and now Viktor Kassai, the main referee has to suffer the consequences...

SystemShock7 said:
Oh! I wasn't aware goal-line refs were added... wow... unbelievable they missed that.

They added goal line refs to stop the demands for a chip in the ball. After that display the demands will just grow.

But they still hold on to the point that a few years (ages in technological development) it didn't work 100% of the time. Since then, there where actual tests that proved it could be done properly.

edit: an evil joke i just heard... the goal line ref couldn't watch the goal. He had to make sure the penalty mark wasn't being stolen, it happend before, wen the Referee Wolfgang Stark leads a match.
see:
[media]http://youtu.be/sG6ajsLMPeE[/media]
Yes that was during an interrupt of a match.

Pangaea said:
Germany will tear them a new one.

You called it right 4-2 and it wasn't even that close. Germany put on a clinic. It looks like the UEFA set up those brackets to get a Germany-Spain final.

secondchildren said:
Ok I must admit.... I supported Greece. Sorry German fellows ^^'
I was a Greece supporter too, so I think that makes us the only two over the whole world (aside from Greeks). :)

Anyway, I'm not sad about Germany's victory, as they play football marvelously, and I think they will win the whole championship.

Top Bottom