Understanding the combat symbol against enemy NPC

+
the more i play the game then the more i notice. The one that struck me the most is that enemy NPC have different fighting symbols. One NPC is gun symbol, another NPC is close combat symbol as in fist or sword fight and a another a nethacker.

at my understanding their purpose is different of each NPC category.

Gun symbol NPC - They are the happy trigger firing squad that will rain bullets on you from distance.
Fist/sword fighting NPC - a close combat with fist to fist or sword to sword.
Nethacker - a stealth/hidden hacker that locate/incinerate you.

i noticed that Gun symbol and fist/sword NPC are both behaving differently. it is at my understanding that the game is actually giving you a variety of immersion battles, but those NPC make things confusing. For example a Fist/sword fighting NPC suddenly run away and initiate a gun fight when it shouldn't while Gun fighting NPC suddenly draw a knife, sword or a start a fist fight and while Nethacker remains the same.. so the Gun and fist/sword NPC is contradicting each other.

In fact, those who fight with melee weapons will switch to ranged combat if you don't give them the opportunity to really come in melee. This is often the case with Tygers Claws.
There are only those who have a Sandevistan or Bersek who always remains in melee combat :)

I found there's also bullets, front sight, axe and machine gun symbols.

Bullets symbol NPC - Shotgunner. They tend to rush forward but will keep a certain distance.

Front sight symbol NPC - Sniper. They're almost always in the place with best view, though they're usually in the same place and the attack speed is low, the damage is very high.

Axe symbol NPC - Maybe heavy armor close combat fighter. Because I haven't finished the Act 1 yet, I rarely meet them. An example is the fat guys from Tyger Claws, they use melee weapon, have a high defense and (almost) haven't hit recover.

Machine gun symbol NPC - Machine gunner. Their attack speed seems to be very fast and seems to have higher HP.

The symbol with horizontal line mean Sandevistan. At least in Act 1, the most common is close combat fighter with Sandevistan (I called them ninja), Tyger Claws, Maelstrom and Scavengers all have this type, especially TC. I've seen the assault rifle symbol with horizontal line, they're assault rifler with Sandevistan (I called them commando). So far I've only seen Tyger Claws commando.
Post automatically merged:

In fact, those who fight with melee weapons will switch to ranged combat if you don't give them the opportunity to really come in melee. This is often the case with Tygers Claws.
There are only those who have a Sandevistan or Bersek who always remains in melee combat :)
Some unique traits of the enemy are also related to the organization. I even seen a Tyger Claws netrunner used Krenzikov (her symbol hasn't the Sandevistan line), but never seen any Maelstrom netrunner like this (or just I didn't notice).
I also electrocuted several times by a male Tyger Claws shotgunner (he is a unnamed mob), but never electrocuted by female. I also found that many of Maelstromers can burn player.

Last edited:
i think it's weird they aren't really following their fighting purpose. Sure i understand it would be viewed as cheating as you as an player is able to use a gun on a NPC that can't use a gun. but i still think it should follow their fighting purpose to create more immersion. If a NPC want to have an close to close combat with me then i'm all ears and switch from weapon to fisting just so i can get an opportunity to get used to the parry timing or just level up.

i think it's weird they aren't really following their fighting purpose. Sure i understand it would be viewed as cheating as you as an player is able to use a gun on a NPC that can't use a gun. but i still think it should follow their fighting purpose to create more immersion. If a NPC want to have an close to close combat with me then i'm all ears and switch from weapon to fisting just so i can get an opportunity to get used to the parry timing or just level up.
In my opinion, it's seem pretty good.
Even if you're a katana pro, when a guy shows up armed with a shotgun, it could be pretty smart to switch up and choose a ranged weapon for combat :)

I found this

I misread before, the commando's symbol is a handgun with Sandevistan line. It means they not only use assault rifle

I also found a few type names that I have never seen before: Techie (Maelstrom), Boomer (Scavengers), Assassin (Tyger Claws). But there's no symbol for them on the website
I think Assassin is sounds like TC sniper, but I remembered that I have seen a special level indicator symbol (the symbol on top of enemy, from low to high is grey to red), I know that some bullets is normal gunner, two bullets is shotgunner, lots of bullets is machine gunner, fist is close combat fighter, netrunner icon is netrunner, front sight is sniper. This special icon is looks like a simplified human figure. I've only seen Mikhail Akulov and a named mob from Lousy Kleppers has this symbol, cause I'm a stealth player they haven't chance of attack
After 1.2 the named enemies doesn't display their type name and type symbol, maybe those special type names are related to the special level indicator symbol? Definitely not mantis blader, I'm sure that mantis blader is also the fist level indicator symbol. I guess it may be means "all-rounder" (similar to my V, he is a netrunning ranging sniper)

I remembered that mantis blader haven't type name and symbol, except Anna Nox (her type name is Mox Leader, type symbol is ninja)

Last edited:
Yep I'm also talking about enemies ;)
They are smart enough to change from melee weapon to firearm when attacking them from a distance.
but really shouldn't matter at all. if you know yourself they are melee based NPC and want more immersion then just get close and do melee fight.
Can you stop with the blinking smiley? are you flirting? i feel uncomfortable when you do that.

but really shouldn't matter at all. if you know yourself they are melee based NPC and want more immersion then just get close and do melee fight.
Can you stop with the blinking smiley? are you flirting? i feel uncomfortable when you do that.
If you are like me, generally with no skill in melee combat... It could be a bad idea to get close and try to melee fight... It sound like quick death.
Anyway, for me, melee based NPC who switch from melee to range weapon is perfectly fine (and pretty smart).

What do you mean by fighting purpose? The player can switch weapons, so can the NPCs. I'm really glad about their behavior, it makes the combat more real.
Post automatically merged:

Out of topic, there are other icons for people who want to flirt, ;) is rather friendly, kidding, all my colleagues are using this icon.

Last edited:
ye ye agreed that it's all good and golden that they can be variantion. i just think that their symbol combat may not be needed if they are to behave like this.

Top Bottom