Unknown GPU Crash + Application error: REDLauncher

+
Hello,

i have a completely new gaming PC and only cyberpunk has this "unknown GPU" crash.
I have a rtx 4070, ryzen 7800x3d, Tforce Delta 32g, and b650m pro rs wifi
And. I. did. everything.

- Reinstalled multiple windows versions
- Updated GPU driver (With DDU)
- Reinstalled cyberpunk multiple times as a clean install according to your website
- Reseated GPU, reseated RAM, reset CMOS wand flash newest BIOS and did everything above again
- Started the game right after installing windows (No drivers installed - except newest GPU driver)
- updated and downloaded ALL other drivers repeatedly (Motherboard, CPU, etc.)
- Tried Alan wake 2 and 3dMark for most similar testing and it works just fine
- Tried low graphics, turned off analytics, cross play, cloud, any overlay
- I have no overclocking, I tested all my components
- verified game files, verified windows files, verifies ALL files in existence on this new PC
- and more shit I dont even remember anymore. Its been weeks of trying

What can I still do? I bought this PC mainly for this game and it is making me insane.

I attached my DxDiag, maybe someone here can help me....
I wasted so much money on this computer and it was supposed to be a happy thing. Now I just get depressed when starting my computer knowing something is wrong.
It may sound dramatic but it was a lot of money for me and it is hurting .

Thank you to anyone who may be helpful.

I simultanously wrote a support ticket but as I heard from other posts it might not be helpful...

Attachments

• stacktrace.txt
    259 bytes · Views: 30
  • DxDiag.txt
    107.4 KB · Views: 25
If you haven't done that already, it's best to send a ticket to support (https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1700/my-game-crashes-7 - just click on "contact us").

And you can play Alan Wake 2 for hours without issues?

I googled the "graphics device driver error code 31" but I'm not sure what's the best approach here, if DDU and reinstalling GPU doesn't fix it. You could try a slightly older driver version (sometimes new GPU drivers cause problems). But other than that... might be best to just contact CDPR support.

The launcher is very sensitive when it comes to overlays such as steam or afterburner. Had this issue myself, and can confirm that the launcher crashes stopped after disabling any overlays.

Btw, I bypassed the launcher after claiming my ingame rewards in my first run, for the second I personally don't care about the items, as it is a DRM free game, I start directly from the .exe now. This way, the game runs fine with overlays for me.

Last edited:
Hello! I have same issue, also have a good pc. It runs perfectly fine until at some point around 10-20 min in it crashes to desktop.

I have made super clean install even removed all user folders.

Error is also about GPU (3070 here). I will post more info when I get home!

If you haven't done that already, it's best to send a ticket to support (https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1700/my-game-crashes-7 - just click on "contact us").

And you can play Alan Wake 2 for hours without issues?

I googled the "graphics device driver error code 31" but I'm not sure what's the best approach here, if DDU and reinstalling GPU doesn't fix it. You could try a slightly older driver version (sometimes new GPU drivers cause problems). But other than that... might be best to just contact CDPR support.
Thank you I did contact them and we are trying to solve it. I might try an older GPU driver again with DDU. Didn´t do it on this newest windows install yet. And yes, I only played alan wake 2 for one hour at a time but I will try more. Cyberpunk crashes instantly in a minute.

For everyone else, I am in contact with support and they tried giving me 2 solutions which both did not work for ME, but maybe for one of you:

1)
Please try the steps below:
  1. Delete REDEngine and CD Projekt Red folders from the following location: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
  2. Make sure that DirectX12 shader cache is not corrupted.
    1. Search for disk cleanup in the Taskbar search box.
    2. Click on the search result.
    3. Select the C drive and click the OK button.
    4. Select the DirectX Shader Cache checkbox.
    5. Click the OK button.
  3. Restart your PC and launch the game. See if it helped.
2)
Please try the following:
  1. Open File Explorer and go to c:\windows\system32
  2. Search for nvlddmkm.sys and then right click it
  3. Select Properties and go the Security tab
  4. Click "Edit" to change permissions
  5. Select your user account
  6. Check "Full control"
  7. Click "Apply" and "OK"
  8. Restart your PC

Since these did not work for me, I will wait for more information from support. I provided a full HWINFO Screenshot, lets see if it can be fixxed.

Very frustrating but it is was it is.

Same thing here. I start the game normally and after about 15 or 20 minutes the screen freezes and flatlines. My PC is great: i7 12700k, 32GB RAM 3600Mhz, SSD, RTX4090. The latest video drivers installed. I play other games and have no problems.
The problem with Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty is actually always the same: the graphics engine is problematic and optimization with the hardware is complicated. I have mods installed. But there are countless similar reports of people playing without any mod installed. As for the solutions offered by support, this talk of clean uninstallation/reinstallation, all of this seems like a smokescreen to hide that Cyberpunk 2077 is a kind of "benchmark" for Nvidia, that is, a "testing ground" for Nvidia implement your new technologies. And mistakes, problems happen.
I have already carried out dozens of procedures that CDPR support presents as a solution. For a certain time they correct it. Then, with big updates, small updates, patches and hotfixes, everything starts to get messy again. Crashes, corrupted saves, memory drain, etc.
I'm a fan of the game but it's time to recognize that this title, technically speaking, is almost incorrigible. It's just a miracle for this game to be 100% reasonable, with few bugs and crashes.

I attached the files im getting. Like said, game runs perfectly fine then suddenly, after around 15-20 minutes it crashes.

I get two different types of errors:
Device Removed Reason: 0x887a0005 or Device Removed Reason: 0x887a0006

- I have made full clean reinstall without mods
- i have tried old nvidia drivers
- i have added more seconds to TDR timeout settings in key register
- I have added page file at 64gb

None of this have changed anything, the same error happens after same period of time.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 3.70 GHz
RAM 32,0 GB
GPU 3070

2)
Please try the following:

1. Open File Explorer and go to c:\windows\system32
  2. Search for nvlddmkm.sys and then right click it
  3. Select Properties and go the Security tab
  4. Click "Edit" to change permissions
  5. Select your user account
  6. Check "Full control"
  7. Click "Apply" and "OK"
  8. Restart your PC

tried this too, still same crash

Attachments

• Cyberpunk2077.exe-20231126-210341-13752-17576.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 14
  • report.txt
    6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
UPDATE to my situation:

I actually tried more games and got crashes on witcher 3 and hitman 3 too. Got a 3070ti from a friend and everything works like it should be. It is a faulty graphics card on my end. Sending it back

Top Bottom