[ Update 2.0 ] Random crashes [ Interal kraken decompression error ]

+
Hello everyone and a good day,

most of you know the new Update 2.0 launched for Cyberpunk 2077 to be prepared for the upcoming DLC/Addon.
So the game updadet to the Update 2.0 and I launched the game.

Everything seemed fine at the beginning.

Really quick I noticed, that my game was crashing randomly. The first crashes happened even during the Benchmark-Test - I tested some setting here and there. Every 2nd Benchmark was crashing I would say.

A little window popped up and told me something about "corrupted files and scripts arent working".

THE THINGS I TESTED TO FIX THE PROBLEM

- I updated my Nvidia Drivers 537.42 [ NO FIX ]
- I updated my Nvidia Drivers to an older version [ NO FIX ]
- I checked my Windows for updates [ NO FIX ]

- I ran the game as an admin [ NO FIX ]

- I reinstalled the game ( Epic Launcher ) [ NO FIX ]
- I did a "clean install" with deleting all the files ( Game, Userfiles, etc. ) [ NO FIX ]

- I downloaded and installed the game on steam with a "clean install" [ NO FIX ]

- I set up the BIOS on default [ NO FIX ]

- I lowered the graphics [ NO FIX ]
- I disabled DLSS and/or RTX [ NO FIX ]
- I disabled Cloud-Saves and Overlays [ NO FIX ]

- I launched the game in "vanilla mode" with no addons or plugins [ NO FIX ]

PC SETUP / SPECS

- Intel i9 13900k
- Nvidia RTX 3080
- 32 GB DDR5
- SSD/M2

ADDITIONAL AND MAYBE IMPORTANT INFO?

You can see that I tested pretty much everything to find a solution to the problem. Once the game crashes I sent the bug to the team, of course.
When you check

** %user%/AppData/Local/REDEngine/ReportQueue

you can see folders which start to pop up once your game crash. In the folder you find a .txt file which is named [ stacktrace.txt ].
I believe this gives additional information about the reason of the crash ... I think.

I added a screenshot of the folders where you can count 6 crashes today.

If I open the file you see the following :

Error reason: Assert
Expression: false
File: E:\R6.Release\dev\src\common\redCompression\src\wrapperKraken.cpp(346)

Iam not sure what kind of file this is but if I check my Harddrive E:/ ... there isnt anything called like this.
I even checked the Cyberpunk folder, if something similiar is there but couldnt find anything.

Is there a chance that the game wants to open or write something into the file above ( wrapperKranken.cpp(346)?
But when the game tries this exactly it cant be found and crashes during the process.

Maybe this is something that might help for some people.
Like I said earlier ... the crashes are totally random and doesnt make any sense at all.

I hope this information helps to find a solution.

Cheers,
Nicolai

Attachments

• 01 Folder - ReportQueue.png
    01 Folder - ReportQueue.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 131
  • image.png
    image.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I have probably read all the threads on this forum (and any other forums i found) about CP2077 crashing before and after update 2.0.
I have an i7-13700 and RTX3090TI and Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX.
In my case, changing the CPU performance ratio from 34 (default) to 35 in the BIOS helped (all others OC parameters are default, no needed; only XMP is set to recommended). The game runs smoothly and, most importantly, without Interal Kraken decompression, etc.
Previously, of course, I had performed the activities recommended by "Reds" and the game community so many times I've almost lost my mind :)

Last edited:
I tried everything to the point of completely wiping my C: drive and installing Win 11 pro and everything as a new install and drivers. I reused nothing, and sob it still crashed. Funny part, my CPU is the Intel i9 13900kf, and many if not all of you are listing some close version of this CPU. I am gonna say it is an intel problem, not a Cd Project Red problem, as every single game I play now will crash. If you have auto updates for your intel CPU I bet that is what it is. Had 2 updates not long ago. Just a guess of course but I say 90% good bet that is it. Especially if (and not tried just yet) Disabling turbo for the #0 CPU.
Intel i9- 13900kf
Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-FI
CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MHz CL40
Sapphire 11322-01-40G Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X Gaming Graphics Card with 24GB GDDR6, AMD RDNA 3

Top Bottom