[ Update 2.0 ] - Random Crashes [ Interal Kraken decompression error? ]

+
Hello everyone and a good day,

I posted it into the german forums as well but doesnt hurt to post it here too, I think.

Most of you know the new Update 2.0 launched for Cyberpunk 2077 to be prepared for the upcoming DLC/Addon.
So the game updadet to the Update 2.0 and I launched the game.

Everything seemed fine at the beginning.

Really quick I noticed, that my game was crashing randomly. The first crashes happened even during the Benchmark-Test - I tested some setting here and there. Every 2nd Benchmark was crashing I would say.

A little window popped up and told me something about "corrupted files and scripts arent working".

THE THINGS I TESTED TO FIX THE PROBLEM

- I updated my Nvidia Drivers 537.42 [ NO FIX ]
- I updated my Nvidia Drivers to an older version [ NO FIX ]
- I checked my Windows for updates [NO FIX ]

- I ran the game as an admin [NO FIX ]

- I reinstalled the game ( Epic Launcher ) [ NO FIX ]
- I did a "clean install" with deleting all the files ( Game, Userfiles, etc. ) [ NO FIX ]

- I downloaded and installed the game on steam with a "clean install" [ NO FIX ]

- I set up the BIOS on default [ NO FIX ]

- I lowered the graphics [ NO FIX ]
- I disabled DLSS and/or RTX [ NO FIX ]
- I disabled Cloud-Saves and Overlays [ NO FIX ]

- I launched the game in "vanilla mode" with no addons or plugins [ NO FIX ]

PC SETUP / SPECS

- Intel i9 13900k
- Nvidia RTX 3080
- 32 GB DDR5
- SSD/M2

ADDITIONAL AND MAYBE IMPORTANT INFO?

You can see that I tested pretty much everything to find a solution to the problem. Once the game crashes I sent the bug to the team, of course.
When you check

** %user%/AppData/Local/REDEngine/ReportQueue

you can see folders which start to pop up once your game crash. In the folder you find a .txt file which is named [ stacktrace.txt ].
I believe this gives additional information about the reason of the crash ... I think.

I added a screenshot of the folders where you can count 6 crashes today.

If I open the file you see the following :

Error reason: Assert
Expression: false

File: E:\R6.Release\dev\src\common\redCompression\src\wrapperKraken.cpp(346)

Iam not sure what kind of file this is but if I check my Harddrive E:/ ... there isnt anything called like this.
I even checked the Cyberpunk folder, if something similiar is there but couldnt find anything.

Is there a chance that the game wants to open or write something into the file above ( wrapperKranken.cpp(346)?
But when the game tries this exactly it cant be found and crashes during the process.

Maybe this is something that might help for some people.
Like I said earlier ... the crashes are totally random and doesnt make any sense at all.

I hope this information helps to find a solution.

Cheers,
Nicolai

Attachments

• 01 Folder - ReportQueue.png
    01 Folder - ReportQueue.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image.png
    image.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 84
I had the same error on my System (13900K).

It was a stability issue. I checked my system with OCCT with “LinPack” and detected the problem:

"Interal Kraken decompression error, code: 0": That was a weak core (Core #0). I set the max ratio to 53. Additional voltage not solving the problem. More than Ratio 53 on Core #0 is not possible. On your system it can be a other Core with other Ratio. Before i know that, i disabled HyperThreading - This works also, but this is not the problem. It looks like there are several 13900K with this problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information so far ... I will test it while disabling HT. But it will be interesting what the destination of that file means exactly tho.

The destination file name is a information for the developers to know where the error occurs. Not a real stored file on your system...

Disabling Hyper-Threadding worked for a while but after around 1 hour the crash happened again ( same error ).
But it was a good hint!

As i mentioned earlier, you must detect wich core are making this problem - I found it out with OCCT. On my 13900K it was Core #0 (with activated Hyper Threading) and limit the ratio to the max value (on my it was 53). On the Asus Z790-E this setting is under Ai Tweaker/Specific Performance Core. You can also try to disable cores in task manager to detect which core the problem is.

Attachments

• 230923161038.png
    230923161038.png
    211 KB · Views: 139
Okay, I will fill out a ticket soon to help the team to investigate. Good call.
In addition I try changing the ratio. Thanks again for your help too.

A little update :

- Reactivated Hyperthreading
- Deactivated Turbo-Boost ( Intel CPU, 13900k )

I was able to play without any crash today and installed OCCT to check the cores. While Turbo-Boost was active,
2 Cores got really warm or lets say ... hot. The temperatures were really high on the CPU while boosted.

But I think thats normal.

So before I manually changed the value of a core I thought to deactive the Turbo-Boost. The program showed me
that not a single core got even close to be hot.

- With Turbo Boost : Average temperature around 80-90°C of all cores ( highest even showed 100°C )
- Without Turbo Boost : Average temperature around 40-50°C of all cores ( highest got around 52°C )

The above temperatures were shown by OCCT while playing Cyberpunk ( 5120x1440, High settings, RTX on )

Iam not sure how accuraty the program is in general but its something to work with.

-----

So maybe the frequency while Turbo-Boost is active, or the temperatures of some cores are making problems.
Maybe thats something to work with.

But thanks again for the communication, ideas and help.

Thank you for the Feedback - Glad to hear that is working now!

Sure, if you disable Turbo Boost the max core ratio is also lower. On my system i wanted exactly now, where the problem occurs. And the result was as you know Core #0 with a max ratio of 53. With this setting i get the minimum performance loss and i know exactly where the problem is.

Could be that the temperature plays a role. On my 13900K it was only Core #0. The other cores has no problems at all.

Of course I will monitor the situation, if the game still crashes. Iam aware, that the 13900k ( or 13th gen? ) can get really warm / hot and maybe thats the issue somehow between Cyberpunk ( software ) and the CPU ( hardware ).

But in general I did the same like you, where I only lowered the power of every CPU. I didnt feel any impact on the FPS at all.

The 13900K has 8 P-Cores and 16 E-Cores. By disabling Turbo Boost the entire cores are affected. I adjusted only 1 P-Core.

The temperature could be a problem on this one core. On tests with OCCT i can produce errors on this one core, if i test it with extreme conditions / settings. It is not only a problem with Cyberpunk.

It looks like some of the 13900K's (or perhaps 13th Gen) cores are not good enough for the highest officially frequencies (probably production related).

Last edited:
THANK U GUYS SO MUCH!!!!
13900KF with same problem.
I tried everything and almost give up, until I disable Turbo Boost.
This problem haunted me since I brought this game. It appears random crash on 1.7version but I managed beat this game by crash and reboot almost hundreds times. I tried write ticket but its useless. Reinstalled 4 times, 115 hours on steam but 87.5 hours on my saving. THATS TOURTURE !!!!!
Now I can finally "play" this game.

Top Bottom