Very high CPU temperatures in game?

+
So I've built a new system around a i9-13900KF processor. I figured the CPU would just loaf along in the 60-70 C range when I was playing, but instead it's running very high. At first it was pretty consistently at 100 degrees C or just below...after installing the latest BIOS for my motherboard, I'm getting 85-95 C with the occasional spike to 100 C.

Is this what I should expect playing this game? It seems excessive. When I'm not playing, it averages in the mid 40C range. I'm using TechPowerUp GPU-Z to monitor temperatures...perthaps there's something better out there?

I haven't posted this on the CDPR support page yet [too slow to respond, usually], but I will if there are no answers here...

I just built a new PC a few months back. I'm using an i9-12900 and an Asus Rog 4080. My temps don't even come close to that. I'm at like 35-40 normal load, and 50-65ish running cyberpunk with a ton of mods and everything to ultra.

My guess is either one of your settings is causing the temp spike, or something with your cooling isn't quite right. are you seeing spikes in other games? and what cooling are you using? any mods or anything that could be affecting performance? Also are you overclocking? because that could cause some big temp spikes.

It could also be the monitoring software; something is making it think it's running hotter than it is? I have all Corsair cooling in my case and their iCue app seems to be pretty good at monitoring and adjusting. I also have an Asus motherboard and their onboard monitoring is pretty solid, at least in my experience.

Anything over 90 is considered outside of the "Safe Range" especially for prolonged use by most people so If you're hitting those temps and it's not just a sensor issue, you definitely should find the cause, it can't be good for the CPU.

Edit: To Clarify I'm no expert myself so maybe someone else has better insights into what's going on, It may also be a card specific issue. AMD recently was having an issue with overheating cards with specific motherboards so maybe you're running into the Intel version of that? But based on my experience with the i9 series that seems way too high.

Last edited:
Just to be clear -- The CPU runs in the mid 40 C range when I'm not playing.

I've got a 3-fan AIO watercooler on the CPU...air blowing _in_ through the radiator, 3 fans [1 in back of case, 2 fans blowing up] out of the case. The air feels cool under normal load, very warm/borderline hot while playing. I don't have a lot of other games on my PC right now But SCP: 5K plays at about 70 C.

I was running the intro to The Witcher...got about 60 C but now I have to reboot because something with the video settings went wrong when I tried to adjust them.

And....that was interesting. Wne I downloaded the Witcher it installed a bunch of Windows Net framework updates. Now my Cyberpunk game is running around 70 C. Emergency is over, I guess... Thanks for your input, folks...

Last edited:
Not the games fault in the slightest. You may have a poor mount. Look into getting an LGA 1700 contract frame. Also, check your power limits in BIOS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom