Vico Medics should be restricted / conditional Ressurect

+
Vico Medics should be restricted / conditional Ressurect

Freyas and corsairs are already conditional to only a specific tag. Even ointment has a 5 power condition attached. And Yen Necrmancy, a gold, can only target soldiers. Why are medics the only bronze rez in game that can Rez any bronze unit. Devs need to change it to rez only a certain tag type. Maybe only NG units. Or only spying and support units. They should still support spy archetype, but definitely need to be restricted to be in line with all other bronzes.

What if Vico Medic was instead a 3 point spy with same ability as now (but when preferred rows will be a thing give it another ability on ally row "Boost by 3" (to 6), or something like that, so the card is not completely useless when maybe there is nothing to resurrect). Problem making it conditional is that it would restrict it too much, to maybe only counter only few specific decks.
Maybe a better change would be to keep it as now but weaken resurrected loyal units by 2 after their deploy ability resolves.

Edit: In current Gwent, since it tries to stay more simplistic, there are many too good cards, but as well cases when cards become useless. But since all factions have them, it kind of balances itself out (if everything is unbalanced, everything is balanced). Here I'm talking about a future, more balanced Gwent. Not every card has to be balanced like that, but many would indeed benefit from more advanced options.

This is good, but a bit specific and maybe controversial example: If tutor cards had maybe 2 abilities, one to tutor and one to gain some points in other ways, e.g. "Boost by 5" on Melee row. The tutor ability would however be more punishing than now, and rightfully so, e.g. "Weaken/damage tutored unit by 2", tutors that are spy instead, or tutors that have no body. But almost always with an ability to gain points in other ways.
Here's why this is a better design. Thinning or super-thinning decks should lose to Mill decks at least 50% of the time. Since tutors have the second ability, not to pull a unit, but to gain some points instead, this makes the match-up between Thin and Mill a lot more close, with a more uncertain outcome.
In general, the Effort mechanic should (and probably will with preferred rows) come back for a whole lot more design options. There are so many cards currently in game that would benefit from it immensely.

Last edited:
Yeah right, Vicovaros should be changed. Let me guess, you play greatswords right?

There are a lot of aspects in this game that are completely broken. I'd agree with the Vicovaro change if Skellige got the number of resurrections they could field reduced. Right now, a skellige deck has got 7 revivals (2 corsairs, 3 freyas, sigrdrifa, restore). Your initial argument that freyas and corsairs already have a conditional tag fails to see that it's exactly because of that, that Greatsword decks can field 7 revivals (with the potential for 9 without sacrificing deck consistency), instead of 5 with the potential for 6. If We go back to pre-midwinter when freyas could resurrect anything, you could only have up to 3 of those. But now you can have a total of 6 bronze resurrections and still have a perfectly consistent deck (you can have more than that if we count bone talismans but that would not be viable probably). Then there's Sigrdrifa, decoy, operator, and restore.

To answer your question, that is because Vicovaros can rarely achieve any sort of consistency when resurrecting the opponent's cards, aside from the spy deck. Which is really the only NG deck in which they are used (no coincidence. The rest, at best run one of those for Graveyard hate). As for Yen: Necromancer, are you seriously comparing a card that was practically designed for arena with a card that's been made for constructed deck formats ever since the Closed Beta?

Besides, soon enough, you'll have a lot bigger problems than Vicovaros, believe me

Vicovaro Medics' ability has literally never been changed, and there certainly is no need to change it now. Vicovaros are a healthy counter to decks that rely on the graveyard for resurrects or Consume, and they should remain that way.

Besides, since they affect opponent's graveyard any tag restriction would have a significant impact on their usefulness.
With cards like Priestess of Freya or Sage you decide how many possible targets will be in your deck, which means tag restrictions are easy enough to work with.

Last edited:
I agree with OP. (For Homecoming, that is.)

And I think that in general, CDPR should have it more clear what kind of abilities should be available in each of the rarities. What kind of stuff can be done at bronze, what kind of stuff can be done at silver, and what kind of stuff can only be done at gold. Something like this: https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ity-2018-03-12.

And it is my personal opinion that messing with the opponent's graveyard should be done only at silver+. (Like basically any other graveyard effect, like Necromancy, Yen:Necromancer, Caretaker, Ozzrel, etc.)

So if you check the meta report on gwentdb, the only decks that greatswords have a less than 50% winrate against are NG spy decks (emhyr and usurper). It has 55-60% winrate against all other decks including heavy control decks AND consume which usually runs ozzrel. This is because they have 6 hard to disrupt engines with 6 bronze resurrects and 2-4 silver resurrects. The only reason we are not seeing 100% of the ladder playing greatswords is because vicovaro medic keeps them in check.

I was completely against black blood creating ozzrel but vicos should stay the way they are. In any other matchup but greatswords (and vets), vicos are usually terrible, worth less than an average bronze unless you use it to resurrect an emissary. They also have a good chance of bricking if you have them in round 1 forcing you to pass the round early.

Every deck type should have a hard counter and vicos are greatsword's hard counter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom