Can Jan Calveit even be fixed?

+

rrc

Forum veteran
So, the number of NG players faced is back to normal, that is more than 50% of the games easily at any page of 20 matches in the history. Yesterday I faced back to back NGs, but all with different leaders. I faced Assimilate, Enslave, Imposter and even the Hospitality, but all running Jan Calveit, even though it doesn't make sense for that archetype. The reason is simple, Jan Calveit's ability is soooo strong and enticing that people go to any extend to add him in any archetype. It is basically not Nilfgard, but it is Calveit faction.

I was thinking how to even fix him? I just realised that it is simply not possible until he is make unplayable - say 14P with 5 power or something. If he is playable, he will be in all the decks all the times. If he is nerfed to 11P, the players will simply exchange one 5p tactic to a 4p tactic and they wont have to pay for that! Because Jan will make sure that the dead cards wont be drawn. You make him 12p, two 5p tactics will be made 4p and the things will be the same. Calveit can simply add 12 4P tactics and can just be added without causing any issues as those weak cards (they are not all weak) will not be drawn.

As long as Calveit is where he is and the bronze 4p tactics are where they are, 13 cards are fixed for any NG deck and then the rest is also just Artaud, Torres, Bratheens, etc. It is just playing against the same deck over and over with a mild variation in the leader ability. I don't have a solution for this. Probably, this ability shouldn't have been added to the game. But this is what I think that can be done. Make assimilate costly so that it can only work effectively with assimilate leader.

The balances I am thinking in the order are:
  1. Imperial Diplomay should be 5p. At 5p, it wont be that great to play it without assimilate engines.
  2. Artaud should be 14p. IMO Artaud is one of the most strongest cards in the game and the best candidate for 14P units.
  3. Jan Calveit should be at 11P. This will make it harder for non-assimilate decks to add assimilate engines and assimilate decks to simply add Calveit.

I think if calveit be nerf for something like 4 Power it will be fixed.

If you manage to win round 1 and bleed all The good cards in round 2, calveit Will be bad.

For me the main problem is Torres. Torres starts in hand in like 8 of 10 games. I almost have sure that some cards have alghorytms to be in top decks and Torres is One of them.

For prove that its simply, in the past melitle had "a bug" that The first shuffle in the game was always her. Ofc it wasnt a bug, but an alghorytm, and players realized that because The way melitle works.

So ng players wins round 1 with Torres and calveit spam.

The second problem are nauzicas. Even if you manage to bleed all The good cards in round 2 and go to a short round 3, ng players will have nauzicas that play for a lot of points in short round.

Other factions have better 6p bronze cards, but all of them need setup, The only that doenst need is nauzica.
Even ogroids you cant reach 10 p with that Card in short round, unless you summon it from gy

I think the real issue with Calveit is not whether he is OP; it is how he ruins game variety and strategy.

A perfectly sorted deck encourages extreme polarization (which is both binary and distorts the value of high end cards by making them guaranteed). It also removes any need to adapt to different draws, making all matches virtually identical.

Of course, this criticism also applies to all general purpose tutors (Oneiromancy, Amphibious Assault, etc.) but to a lesser degree.

If I would change Jan Calveit, then would change his Deploy ability to choose 3 cards from your deck and move it to top of your deck, and change his statline to 6 power and 11 or 12 provision.

But at this point you can just increase his provision and hope he sees less play.

Top Bottom