Weaksauce heavy machine guns

+
I'm really disappointed by the HMGs in the game. Of course, a character can never "own" an HMG because they can't holstered, (to my knowledge) can't be stored in the stash nor can you collect ammo for them. Having recently(ish) built up my Body stat high enough to rip HMGs from turrets, and also killing off heavy gunners to steal their weapons, the last thing I ever want to do is to pick up the HMG. The HMGs all do pitiful DPS compared with the kinds of weapons I'll be carrying and using in regular combat.

It seems somewhat pointless that you can equip an HMG at all, since it's certain to be a downgrade (by mid-to-high level a significant downgrade). It's rather disappointing that a quite scarce weapon that should thematically create a "cool" moment when you can mow down enemies by the dozen actually turns into a "discard it as quick as you can so you can get back to your regular gun" moment.

Anyone else agree/disagree, or found any actual uses for HMGs? I realise that if they did massive damage in V's hands, then logically they should also do massive damage in enemies' hands too (which might be bad and lead to frustrating deaths). But - I dunno - I feel like if they're always going to be a disappointment then there's no point being able to equip them (and worse, auto-equip them if you pick it up by mistake).

From the few times I've used it the HMG seems the weapon closest to a minigun. Also I get the impression it does splash damage and has a fairly large area of effect in which an enemy is affected (stun-ish or other) from the HMG's fire. and, as described above, it has virtually no reload.
So even though DPS is not as high, it doesn't have to when you take into account the other effects in play.

From the few times I've used it the HMG seems the weapon closest to a minigun. Also I get the impression it does splash damage and has a fairly large area of effect in which an enemy is affected (stun-ish or other) from the HMG's fire. and, as described above, it has virtually no reload.
So even though DPS is not as high, it doesn't have to when you take into account the other effects in play.
Yep, i don't use it too. generaly, i have not the body skill required :)
But what I'm sure is that it hurts when facing an enemy with an HMG, especially those with rare or epic versions (in very hard obviously with descent armor 3K+).

Guest 4564903

They are awesome fun to use and because you cannot carry them in your inventory and only stash in your car it means they feel more special when you whip them out a tear everything to shreds so I'm happy they way they are and I hope they don't change.

Yes, they are pitifully weak, even the epic and rare ones from what I've tested ':/

They are slightly redeemed by their having no reload or overheating and having good stopping power at least, but they do feel a lot less powerful than I'd expected initially. On very hard difficulty, trying to use one to kill enemies is a recipe to get your V flatlined.

They are however devastating against vehicles (two rounds will destroy any vehicle except the basilisk), which surprise, surprise has infinitely more opportunities to work against the player (drive a car near a hostile turret) than work with them -.-'

Huh, well whenever I try to use a captured HMG against enemies, I feel like I may as well just be using harsh language and tickling them with a feather duster. Like, the HMG is doing approx 1/10th the damage of my pistol (and that's ignoring headshot bonuses).

Then again, I did just pick up & upgrade Lizzie, which is my new favourite implement for "high-velocity lead injections" :love: Yep, "V is for Vaccine"; a vaccination against life :giggle:

This certainly makes me feel like the gunplay/armour/damage system could be improved, so that intuitive things work as you'd expect. You wouldn't expect to pick up "the biggest gun in the game" just for your damage to drop off of a cliff. I don't really know exactly how I'd suggest changing things (whilst keeping different play-styles balanced) but it feels really strange with pistols doing roughly the same damage as sniper rifles and roughly the same damage as shotguns. It makes the various weapon choices feel far less meaningful. The FPS (and tabletop RPG) player in me also thinks that that's really counter-intuitive.

Anyway, that's another discussion for another thread I guess.

Then again, I did just pick up & upgrade Lizzie, which is my new favourite implement for "high-velocity lead injections" :love: Yep, "V is for Vaccine"; a vaccination against life :giggle:
Bad example, The Lizzie is very powerful (i think it's for that you can't upgrade it to legendary). Very few weapons can rivalize with that tiny pink devil :D

Bad example, The Lizzie is very powerful (i think it's for that you can't upgrade it to legendary). Very few weapons can rivalize with that tiny pink devil :D
To be honest I only just picked up Lizzie and only used it one serious fight. I've upgraded to Epic though. It actually looks like Legendary is available although I'm a couple of levels off of 18 Tech to try it out.

Even so, before Lizzie, when I was using a weapon with only ½ the DPS, HMGs still felt worthless.

Wep ;)
But HMG, it's just for enemy. It's no very practical.
It's funnier than anything else :)

Off-topic : Oh yes, now you can upgrade Lizzie to legendary. Full upgrade lvl 50 in inventory (without mod) 874 DPS, equiped (without mod and with all bonus) 1105 DPS. Not bad at all :D

Top Bottom