Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
etainne said:
I recently spent "15 weeks in hell", reading Chaucer, Dante, Melville, Machiavelli,Sir Gawain and the Green Knight , and about 20 other works.
I read Machiavelli's The Prince in high school....which confused my teachers to no end, as I was reading it on my own instead of for a class assignment. :) (I got a free copy of it when I bought a computer game back then ;) )

Quixote said:
A riddle: Shakespeare and Cervantes both died on April 22nd, 1616. Yet they died 10 days apart. How is this possible? (No cheating and looking online for the answer! ;) )
Are you going to tell us? 8)

Cassandra31EEE said:
Cassandra31EEE said:
A riddle: Shakespeare and Cervantes both died on April 22nd, 1616. Yet they died 10 days apart. How is this possible? (No cheating and looking online for the answer! ;) )
Are you going to tell us? 8)
Ok, guess no one's going to try answering, so here it is: Different calendars ;) Spain was using the Gregorian Calendar at the time, while Britain was still using the Julian Calendar. Thus, Cervantes died on April 22nd in Spain (according to the Gregorian Calendar) and then ten days later, Shakespeare died on April 22nd in England (according to the Julian Calendar). So technically, they both died on the same day a week and a half apart ;)

PetraSilie said:
and he does a lot for our general education :) I didn't know about it and didn't know about the two different calendars :eek:
*chuckles* Thanks. As to the difference: Basically the Julian Calender was a bit out of whack by the 16th century due to improper calculation of leap years. To borrow from Wikipedia:
The changes made by Gregory corrected the drift in the civil calendar which arose because the mean Julian calendar year (exactly 365.25 days) was slightly too long, causing the vernal equinox, and consequently the date on which Easter was being celebrated, to drift slowly forward in relation to the civil calendar and the seasons.The Gregorian calendar system dropped 10 days to bring the calendar back into synchronization with the seasons and, to keep it there, adopted the following leap year rule:Every year that is exactly divisible by four is a leap year, except for years that are exactly divisible by 100; the centurial years that are exactly divisible by 400 are still leap years. For example, the year 1900 was not a leap year; the year 2000 was a leap year.[3]In the Julian calendar, all years exactly divisible by 4 are leap years.
....unfortunately, not everyone adopted the new calendar at the same time. As a result, dates varied depending on country and on how quickly it was implemented. In part due to a belief among some Protestant populations that the new calendar was part of some conspiracy by the Catholic Church to regain control. In the particular trivia/example above: Spain adopted the new calendar in 1582, while England (and the colonies that would later become the start of the United States) delayed for another couple centuries -- by which point the two were even further out of synch. An adoption timeline can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar#Timeline :)

Something wakes up in my long-term memory form schooltime when I read the explanation from the wiki.... :hmmm: I think we learned that at school.

Yes, our calendar has been adjusted a few times to work in the phases of the moon. And don't forget that we aren't using the only calendar available; just the more popular one. Both the Chinese and the jewish calendars are different, for example.~ Roxy

Quixote said:
Ok, guess no one's going to try answering, so here it is: Different calendars ;) Spain was using the Gregorian Calendar at the time, while Britain was still using the Julian Calendar. Thus, Cervantes died on April 22nd in Spain (according to the Gregorian Calendar) and then ten days later, Shakespeare died on April 22nd in England (according to the Julian Calendar). So technically, they both died on the same day a week and a half apart ;)
That's it? Different calendars? Pff... :p That was so easy... I hoped for an answer with more imagination. ;D

Last night I had a The Witcher related dream as well... finally but :eek: it wasn't a pleasant dream.Someone from the CDPR (we met in RL, don't know where) and told me spitefully when we talked about the other CDPR projects: "Do you really believed there will be a witcher sequel? No, this chapter is closed, we don't do anything from the witcherworld anymore because we venture out for something new."The person in the dream I never saw in RL or on any CDPR vid or photo. Actually nothing like that happend in RL. I don't understand why my subconscious mind always send me unpleasant witcher dreams

Next someone will be able to explain to me The Theory of Everything (I bet I got that wrong) from Mr Hawkins! arrhhh
The answer is quite simple: 42 :beer: (If you could ask Douglas Adams)

FearIfayra said:
Next someone will be able to explain to me The Theory of Everything (I bet I got that wrong) from Mr Hawkins! arrhhh
The answer is quite simple: 42 :beer: (If you could ask Douglas Adams)
I support that very much. :DThere are these times that I wish I could just spend the rest of my life undisturbed in the basement... This time due to the excruciating and confusing mess that are Colleges and Universities. So many things simply neither make sense, never made sense or are not supposed to make sense. And as a person who didn't grow up with this mess, I am very confused. Luckily I'll be meeting with my British History Teacher tomorrow. He will be able to make sense of it, since he had to help a whole class through that last year.Bah! Even worse than making sense of stuff, is the fact that there are things I can't do, due to the fact that I don't know what I want to do! Chemistry, Biology, Physics (and the various mixtures between those three and subcategories...) or some language related stuff, or theatre or something else. And I am supposed to know by this year :dead:On a comic relief side note, the two kids (yeah, kids, I am the oldest person in the class now... *sniff*) started calling me "Demon" in Japanese, for no apparent reason :D Those two can be a funny bunch. Did I mention I'll be slapping one of them in the theatre performance? :evil:

TheSilver said:
Bah! Even worse than making sense of stuff, is the fact that there are things I can't do, due to the fact that I don't know what I want to do! Chemistry, Biology, Physics (and the various mixtures between those three and subcategories...) or some language related stuff, or theatre or something else. And I am supposed to know by this year :dead:
Well, if it helps any, the most interesting people I know have taken the scenic route to their careers, rather than knowing what they wanted at 17 or 18. If you want to go to a technical college, something like MIT, then you will need to make the science vs. languages or Theatre decision fairly soon. But if you go to a large, general university, you should be able to eventually specialize in any of those subjects. Many universities have an undecided major; it's often called "undeclared," and students get some requirements out of the way while trying out a number of different subjects. Most universities have the option to double major -- I double majored in French and Psychology -- and most universities also have the option to design your own program if there's something you want to do that requires an unusual combination of courses. Plus, it's always possible to transfer from one college to another if the first one doesn't work out, and it's possible to go back to school if you do something for awhile and decide that you'd be happier doing something else.In other words, while you have a big decision ahead of you, it doesn't determine the rest of your entire life, even though many people will act as if it will. And, as I said in opening, the most interesting people I know changed majors several times or went to school, dropped out, and went back or worked for ten years before going to university. One of my friends got a Ph.D. in Social Psychology, was a professor for several years, decided that she wanted to do something more directly useful, and went to medical school at age 45. She got her MD a couple of years ago, and she's happier now than I've ever seen her, and I've known her since she was 23.You're an interesting person, Silver. Your path might be a winding one. That doesn't make it a worse path; it may well make it a better one.

I have to agree with Corylea on this. I am way over 40 now, and I just finished my first bachelor's about a year ago. I had to go with what they called a multi-disciplinary studies degree, since I had more than three concentrations by the time i was done. Since then, I have continued and now I am half finished with my Master's. When you take everything you are interested in, it just takes longer, and when you have children in the middle, it takes longer, and when you pay your own way in cash for the first half, it takes way longer to finish. Don't stress out, Silver, the world is just beginning to open for you. You can have almost all of it. Or at least a little bite from each dish. Isn't that what life is for? Yes, the 15-year bachelor's was not my first plan, but i wouldn't trade away any little bit of the whole experience. I didn't start my degree until I was 26, due to my first marriage. I was too young to make a choice back then. Then I took six years off to raise my son, so really, it only took nine years-going half or 3/4 time so I could pay for it and pass the classes and go to work every day. Along the way, I found room to take drawing, music,all kinds of science, almost every kind of social studies/politics/history, English, Spanish (which I failed miserably at 40), and renaissance studies, and children's studies (aka, education courses). I am still thinking of picking up some courses that are not in the master's degree plan, just for the educational value. my point is that you have time and lots of choices. You do not have to decide anything this summer except which college and what four or five classes you want next. If you choose trade school, that is good too. The winding path is the most interesting one. You'll have lots of stories.

Ditto! You have time and you're not limited.I started out with a music performance degree that I didn't finish, joined the military for a steady paycheck and got certified in applied electronics, then decided I really loved microbiology, so switched my major again. I'm still working on a finished degree, but I have enough hours for a master's if there was some way I could get credit for all my classes- like general studies, or a master's of "you wouldn't believe the trivia my brain contains". Thing is, it comes in handy in everyday life to be well-rounded, so don't let the strict course outlines dictate what you're interested in. That's what electives are for- to explore other areas.

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that you /must/ study something that is directly related to some particular occupation or career ... the /most/ important thing about a degree is not the major, it is the marks you get ... so take basket weaving if you like, but EXCEL at it :)

etainne said:
I have to agree with Corylea on this. I am way over 40 now, and I just finished my first bachelor's about a year ago. I had to go with what they called a multi-disciplinary studies degree, since I had more than three concentrations by the time i was done. Since then, I have continued and now I am half finished with my Master's. When you take everything you are interested in, it just takes longer, and when you have children in the middle, it takes longer, and when you pay your own way in cash for the first half, it takes way longer to finish.
Yep. My dad's nearing retirement age, and a few years ago decided to go back to college on weekends to complete a Healthcare MBA. ....I've got an MBA in International Business (completed about 3 years ago) and a pair of undergrad degrees...and with the economy the way it is, and a lack of prior work experience on my resume (didn't have time for internships, due to helping care for elderly grandparents), I'm now looking at going back for a year to complete a paralegal certificate course at my sister's recommendation (she's just passed the Nevada Bar Exam). ....and in the meantime I've been trying my hand at writing as well. A couple friends from my writing group are currently looking over the final draft of a novel before I try submitting it to a publisher (already have first drafts done of two sequels as well....along with another manuscript completed for a story set elsewhere in the same world and 1/2 a sequel to that one; also about 2/3rds of a first-draft finished in a completely different setting entirely).

You folks make it sound so easy...It all costs money, which is one of those things that seem to be notoriously rare around my place.Hopefully stuff will be solved, without me descending into limitless debt. :'(Who knows what the future may bring...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom