Why are crafted Legendaries inferior to my Epics?

+
Total playtime of 70 hours now and absolutely loving EVERY aspect of the game. I am only halfway in with the main story as I explore every nook and cranny of Night City and absolutely must understand EVERY technicality of the game! So I need your help here please and must know this as it's plaguing my mind!

First of, I am at Level 18 Technical Ability Attribute, with Level 15 Crafting Skill, at a Character Level of 28.
I have an Epic quality Black Unicorn katana 1,681.5 DPS, 336 DMG, 5 APS (as seen in attached 01.jpg).

So yeah, there are two (2) Legendary versions you can craft from the Crafting window, one with:
1,381.8 DPS, 276 DPS, 5 APS
and another at 869.1 DPS, 276 DMG, 3.14 APS (as seen in 02.jpg and 03.jpg).
So of course I would select the higher DPS due to higher 5 APS, as secondary stats don't seem too different too when I reload a game and craft the lower DPS version. I felt a higher APS would come up tops with more damage per strike.

My question that I would like further understanding and verifying is:

1) Why is my crafted Legendary Black Unicorn having much lower DPS and DMG as the Epic quality one? Is this due to the crafted Legendary scaling to my Character Level or something? My Epic Black Unicorn of 1,681.5 DPS, 336 DMG, and 5 APS, upgraded with Epic components (cheaper and easier to obtain than legendaries!) is much better than the Legendary one. I am under the impression that upgrading an item brings it to its item level as well (which is different than Character Level).

By the way, this is not the case with some weapons, such as O'Five Sniper Rifle, which actually gained a little more DPS and DMG.

2) Why are there two (2) different versions to craft for some weapons, and some none at all?

I know people mention crafting, mods, etc. are broken. So if the above I mentioned has to do with being broken too, I need to at least get all of your experiences if this is true and is really broken and waiting a fix? Thanks!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 463
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 523
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 496
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 538
There is a DMG Mod on the Epic Katana, maybe thats whats messing up the DPS?
Hey Martin. Yeah I noticed the mod earlier, and I then added the mods into the Legendary quality Black Unicorn katana as well, and the DPS and DMG still cannot match close to the Epic quality one, as seen in attached image.

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 310
Hey Martin. Yeah I noticed the mod earlier, and I then added the mods into the Legendary quality Black Unicorn katana as well, and the DPS and DMG still cannot match close to the Epic quality one, as seen in attached image.
Ouf. My thesis is debunkt as well now.

Ah damn. Another thing I noticed after my playthrough is that there are sometimes randomly very strong stats on certain weapons. Had that on a power revolver and a the scalpel katana.

Might this be a reason why this happened?

Because balancing would be rediculous as it only decreases stamina consumption, which in the end gives you the same weapon with another rarity-color and slightly different stats.

Yes, crafting is so fun, but the results you get are just so very odd. I have attached another example here, the O'Five (Love the kick you get from firing this sniper rifle. Feel like it can take down a plane).

Notice how O'Five scales to become a better weapon in both DPS and DMG.
And.... the results are so random, where you can get one with higher DMG and more Crit Dmg, while the other Legendary on the left has a higher Headshot Damage Multiplier of 4.60. Still, I will pick the right one! Balancing issue here.

It's working as intended for the O'Five Power Sniper Rifle, even when the Epic quality one has mods on. Why are the Katanas (my favorites) bugged!! (Yes, Satori becomes inferior too when made a Legendary)

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 394
Oof. Did you upgrade the epic Katana a lot? Maybe you upgraded it so often that its stats are higher than the legendary base one... oO

Read the damage rolls on your katana, your legendary version lost an entire damage roll. All the BLUE text is randomized when you craft.

Last edited:
For 2 main reasons:

A) The damage system are based on luck, so some numbers and stats are random.

B) This system is very unbalanced.

Not only the tier system is unbalanced, making the player submit to these "you better save before crafting" cheese to get a good item; but the balancing between the items in same category are very unbalanced, so one or more of them become useless (like the Tactician shotgun, that becomes useless when compared to the double barrel)

Read the damage rolls on your katana, your legendary version lost an entire damage roll. All the BLUE text is randomized when you craft.
So, in other words, we better save before recrafting an item to a higher grade, and if the rolls are crap, reload and retry?
This is going to be a bit tedious, but ah well.

So, in other words, we better save before recrafting an item to a higher grade, and if the rolls are crap, reload and retry?
This is going to be a bit tedious, but ah well.
Yes iconic crafting is super tedious. Also, no matter what, the crafted katana will far outpace the iconic one, unless youre crafting at max level. And even then, it still might.

but yes I believe it was brought up...if you do not have a weapon you want to use equipped, any perk bonuses to the weapon are not calculated until you equip it and compare it to the one equipped, so unequip the weapon you think of replacing for a valid side-by-side comparison.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas everyone.
As to a few of your questions and notes:
- I have saved/loaded a dozen+ times to see if the Legendary Black Unicorn or Satori katana will have better stats than my Epic version (or for the crafted Legendary for that matter) to no avail. The crafted Legendary iconic katanas continue to be inferior than the Epic version.
- This is NOT the case with Sniper Rifles and other Power Weapons. (Have not tried with Lizzie and other pistols), where the crafted Legendary O'Five and Overwatch becomes slightly better than their former Epic versions.
- To Martin's point of my upgrading of the Epic Black Unicorn many times, yes. I upgraded it at least close to 8 times or so if I remembered correctly. However, it is my understanding that the Legendary upgrade begins from the weapon's item level. It seems to not scale correctly.
- Also have tried unequipping and comparing side by side. Still the Legendary Katana is very much inferior than the Epic versions.

Guess more testing has to be done in order to understand what is going on. And yes, the crafting is clearly very unbalanced now, and it factors in into the confusion. I will experiment more and update here and hopefully a clear idea of why this is the case will come up.

Top Bottom