The General Videogame Thread

+
Bought this physics-based game called "Cartoon Physics Deluze" to celebrate 100 years of Finland, and it's a fun little (literally: less than 50 MB in size) game. I tend to enjoy physics games in general, and this one has an art style that gives it special flavour.

Also it's Finnish, so it gets extra points from me. Naturally. ;)

If we're talking small games, then I absolutely loved "The 39 Steps" (yes, it's an adaptation of John Buchan's novel).

It's actually sort of game-book. The core of the game is reading the story, but it felt awesome because it was basically merging the comic books, audio-books and e-books together into a really pleasant experience. Plus there is a gaming element (for example you need to move mouse in specific manner so that the character opened a lock in the door) - it's really basic and at first glance doesn't add much, but once you get into the story it adds to the general experience and helps to feel as if you lived through the character's adventures yourself.

At first it was a little bit slow and I wasn't sure if I like it, but after 5 or 6 chapters action started to drag me in.

Finally got around to testing out Assassin's Creed (the first one) a few days ago. Spent the first 20 minutes jumping into haypiles and doing all kinds of "stunts" just so the NPCs would comment on it.
"There is no reason to do something like that." "He's going to hurt himself."

Hilarious!

Guest 3847602

Decided to try Kholat - survival horror/walking simulator. Story is kinda meh so far (pretty much a bunch of theories regarding Dyatlov pass incident thrown together), but the atmosphere (visuals and especially sound effects) is amazing.
Huge plus for me is how the navigation works - all you get is a compass and a map which doesn't even mark your position on it.

One of my all time fav game is Dragon Age Origins. Love it in it's entirety.
I love this game game sooooo much, I ended up with tons of screenies.
Then I edited screenies and upload to share them with fellow DAO fans.

Here's a couple for your viewing...

Decided to get Rayman 3 on GOG, having played it years and years ago on the original Xbox.
Such a fun game, with great music and hilarious dialogue. :D

I'm dreading the point where my brother and I got hopelessly stuck with the Xbox version (some boss battle)... fortunately I'm nowhere near it yet.

Ooooo, this sounds so scary!

I have played a bit of Skyrim VR and based on the heart attacks I got with that game alone, this one is going to be super scary. So, of course, I have to try it out :D It's going to be interesting to test my lousy English skills with voice commands (I don't expect much from it, since voice commands are usually... well... a bit terrible). If it doesn't work, I can always switch back to buttons. It already feels amazing to "actually be in the game world", and now it's even possible to speak in there.

After seeing that above video, I remembered that I got Until Dawn: Rush of Blood some time ago. And now I decided that I have enough courage to try it out :D The game wasn't quite what I expected (for some reason I didn't know or realize it was a roller coaster thingy), but I can definitely say that if you want to be scared, forget the horror movies and play games like this instead :D I found myself from jumping on the sofa like a rabbit in the head lights and cursing out loud. I also noticed that I closed my eyes in few spots, which is not necessarily a good thing to do when trying to stay alive...

After the first shock of getting into that dark tunnel, you start to relax a bit. Oh, this wasn't so bad at all. Just shoot some stuff and relax, have fun! Hmmm yeah, the roller coaster combined with VR can be pretty rough if you just ate before started playing, but that's about it. Nothing bad happens, no monsters anywh..... Oh nooooooo!

Obvious spoilers in the video.

It's a spooktacular time!

It's funny because since it is a roller coaster ride..you really get that feeling of being on an actual roller coaster!

lol

Sunsibar;n10325312 said:
Ooooo, this sounds so scary!

I have played a bit of Skyrim VR and based on the heart attacks I got with that game alone, this one is going to be super scary. So, of course, I have to try it out :D It's going to be interesting to test my lousy English skills with voice commands (I don't expect much from it, since voice commands are usually... well... a bit terrible). If it doesn't work, I can always switch back to buttons. It already feels amazing to "actually be in the game world", and now it's even possible to speak in there.

Yeah I need to get this soon..I guess it takes place 60 years before until dawn..will be intresting to see how it ties in

TheShift;n10326852 said:
Yeah I need to get this soon..I guess it takes place 60 years before until dawn..will be intresting to see how it ties in

I would have ordered it today but I lack of money for now. Need to wait few weeks before I can buy everything unnecessary again :D

Reinstalled Oblivion and have been playing it a lot for the past few days. I've never done any of the non-MQ questlines before, so I'm having a great time currently with the Mages' Guild.
The character creation system really is amazing in how it allows one to create the ugliest abominations of characters. :cool:

The game crashes a lot even with a fresh install and zero mods, but after years of Skyrim that really isn't anything new. :p

I have been playing Assassin's Creed Origins for few days now and really liking the game so far. The world is beautiful, it seems to be huge and it's also pretty pleasant to move around. There also seems to be nice amount of things to do, wherever you go. If nothing else, you are looking for materials for upgrading your gear. And you need that a lot.

Can't say much about the story at this point, since I'm not that far yet. One surprising/shocking moment there was already, and it's interesting to see what happens in the future.

I really enjoy the stealth elements in this game. What is more pleasant than stealing a treasure behind red skulled enemy's back? :D Or murdering bandits while they are sleeping. Dirty, I know, but so much fun. If you just rush into the areas filled with bandits or soldiers, you end up being dead or fleeing pretty quickly. Stalk in the shadows, wait for your opportunity. Too crowded during the day? Take a nap and return at night. And don't forget to hide the bodies, if you don't want them to call reinforcements. Also mounted combat feels pretty smooth and effective.

Of course there are some minor annoyances or flaws in this game too, but overall the game is really entertaining and addicting to play :)

Hey guys, it's been a while. I don't really post around here much anymore. But since we're talking about arbitrary games we've been playing, I'll let you know I've been playing Divinity Original Sin (the first one) for some time now and I have two strong opinions about it: 1) Combat and exploration are some of the most amusing and entertaining systems I've played in a while, and 2) The writing is atrocious and the plot barely makes sense. This is possibly one of the stupidest narratives I've seen in cRPG's in a long time, and the cartoon-quality voice acting makes it all super awkward. But since the game is so much fun, I don't really care. And it allows me to disconnect from the game world and simply be mean and ruin everybody's lives. Isn't that how the game is meant to be played anyway?

I have a huge backlog to catch up with on GOG. And Pillars of Eternity 2 is coming out soon. Too much to do, not enough time to play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom