Staff member

+
Faction Premium Keg Week is live!

Following Monsters’ victory over Skellige in the last Faction Challenge, we're introducing a Faction Premium Keg Week!

• In every keg, each 5th card that belongs to Monsters (meaning every Monsters card that you will see in the “Choose 1 out of 3” part of the keg opening) will be upgraded to its Premium version.
  • In every keg, at least 1 card out of the initial choice of 4 cards will belong to Skellige.

The event will last till Monday, June 4th, 12 PM CEST (noon) and will affect all players, regardless of whether they participated in the Faction Challenge or not.

Last edited:
rrc;n10954301 said:
Question to the Dev, QA, and the Management Team: Do you guys love and play only Skellige? You want everyone to play Skellige? When the whole community was expecting some balancing for Skellige, you guys simply left it like that, while doing a good job for all other factions. Veterans are OK? If it is low tempo then what about Dennis Cranmer, a silver? Greatswords are OK? To boost it to ridiculous power and bring it back on R3 to win the game? Seriously, what were you guys thinking? 'Lets keep SK, the faction we love and adore and play, in the broken state while balancing all other factions'. Is that it?

We don't favorite any faction, once the meta settles Greatswords won't be as dominant, it is a strong deck, but didn't require immediate action.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Victus_Mortuus;n10948232 said:
The time constraints for the change from three rows to two worries me, it's not like 6 months is all that long of a time in game development, especially when you imagine the scope of the changes we have been led to believe. I imagine there must be two builds in development one with the structure of three rows we have now and one with the two you are testing.

I really hope we can open this 'discussion' soon as I know the majority of people I've spoken to in the community aren't a fan of the sound of removing a row seemingly based off of UI restrictions of card size, according to Marcin in the Homecoming roadmap anyway. Can you possibly give us a timescale to ease our minds a bit, because I'm genuinely worried we'll see this stuff in September when it's far too late to go back.

Like you mentioned, 6 months for a project of this scale is not a lot of time, there might not be time for discussion when it comes to number of rows in the game. Let's wait for the time we show the board design and start talking then.

VoidStormer;n10950629 said:
More a request than a question...would it be possible to choose the soundtrack we hear for matches? Or, have an option to play the Witcher Gwent soundtracks instead?

I am really tired of hearing (uninspiring) Nilfgaard and Scoiatael music.
Skellige tracks capture some feel for being in the heart of a deadly battle!

No plans for that to be honest, maybe in the future, but it's not a high priority :)

Thunderscape;n10949867 said:
Hello Burza,

Since its confirmed we wont have a vertical split of the board and 4 places to put cards.
And we are going to return to a more complex gameplay.

Are we going to a more tradtional card game route with attack phases, or HP for players, or resources managements?
Or all of the above?

Yes, we want rows to matter and to make gameplay more complex, but without attack phases and going face. Also, no plans for a mana system, so no worries ;)

GWENT Open #5 – The curse of Igni and the rise of an Aguara meta

by Alex “sprackles” Sprackling

This weekend saw the fifth GWENT Open take place in Dandelion’s very own tavern. With the Salt Mines now a thing of the past, it was time to build a new lineup for the next Challenger event later this summer. If that’s not enough, half of this weekend’s participants were new to the scene in some fashion, but with them came a few familiar faces. And the first game set the pace for the rest of the event. China’s Hanachan — now partnered with LP — took on the Challenger #3 champion TailBot. This would be a matchup like no other; both players had clashed on multiple occasions and each had their own personal score to settle.

LpHanachan vs. TailBot
The matchup began with Hanachan banning Henselt and TailBot banning Jan Calveit — a ban he often makes to avoid facing the hard removal of Alchemy Nilfgaard. Way back in late 2017, TailBot first emerged on the competitive scene at a GWENT Slam event, where he earned the nickname “Metabot” for only bringing standard ladder decks. But times have changed and with a Challenger ring under his belt, the Polish player has evolved his game. He proved this with a quirky Scoia’tael list, seeing the return of the Dol Blathanna Sentry. But that wouldn’t win it outright. The set came down to the fifth game, where TailBot’s control heavy arsenal was able to shut down Hanachan’s Greatsword list.

proNEO3001 vs. Nujwk
An old guard vs. new guard matchup followed, seeing Challenger #1 veteran proNEO3001 taking on newcomer Nujwk from Spain. And they lived up to their titles, with proNEO bringing the long-standing Geralt: Igni in his lineup while Nujwk had Rockslide accompanying him. Despite attending the first ever Challenger, proNEO is still looking for a victory and showcased his ability to adapt to different matchups. His opponent had brought a Calveit list heavily teched against Arachas Queen, a matchup proNEO had clearly practiced. Instead of playing greedy with his Nekkers, he boosted them in short bursts and was able to dodge Sweers to win the game. This win would set the pace for the rest of the set and the Challenger #1 veteran advanced on.

Huanshi7702 vs. AretuzaAndyWand
These next two new faces previously clashed in the qualifier for GWENT Slam #2, where AretuzaAndyWand was able to secure the victory over China’s Huanshi7702. This would be their first appearance at an official CDPR event, and what a set it was! Germany’s AndyWand, thanks to a whacky Hand-buff Scoia’tael list, proved an entertaining player to watch. There was no escaping his eccentric tech choices with Aguara, which served as a Muzzle on a stick to reclaim his stolen Vrihedd Dragoon. Aguara and AndyWand: name a more iconic duo — I’ll wait...

Damorquis vs. Fanderman
Closing the day saw yet another new Polish competitor — Fanderman — clash with Damorquis, who was looking to redeem himself after an early exit from the last Open. The German player for Team Aretuza previously ran head first into the Orient Express of Hanachan’s Greatswords. Unfortunately for him, this time he was unable to secure a win in the Henselt mirror and it was Fanderman who came victorious in the end. Muzzle was a dominant card in all four sets — unsurprising, for it has arguably defined the meta since its release pre-Midwinter — while Geralt: Igni proved to be a cursed inclusion. As long as there are core engine units under 8 strength, Muzzle will never not be viable.

TailBot vs. proNEO3001
Day Two kicked off with TailBot – once again drastically favoured in the community Twitter poll – taking on proNEO. The Challenger champion enjoyed not only the home advantage but also better decks. His opponent was running Arachas Queen, an archetype his control-heavy lineup was teched against. In order for proNEO to advance, he would need to secure a win with his Consume Monsters. Despite opening with this deck, he was forced to hold onto his Nekkers until they were out of Muzzle range, weakening his win condition. Ultimately, TailBot won 3-1, presenting his fanbase with quite a sight to behold.

AretuzaAndyWand vs. Fanderman
Looking for revenge, AndyWand clashed with Fanderman, who had stomped over fellow Team Aretuza member Damorquis on Day One. Unfortunately, AndyWand misplayed his Henselt mirror, where he played his Ronvid in R3 to fall victim to Muzzle while also failing to secure an Igni target. But it was his hand-buff list that served a frosty dish of revenge, forcing Fanderman to go down two cards. Damorquis was avenged and AndyWand would advance to the final 3-1.

TailBot vs. AretuzaAndyWand
Following a showmatch between CDPR employees — which, sadly, I am unqualified to analyse as I lack the experience in playing Tier S cards such as Swallow, Wild Boar and Whispering Hillock — the final was underway. It was another day at the office for TailBot, who was already guaranteed a spot at the next Challenger, while AndyWand was looking to prove himself in his very first official event. Both players opted to ban Calveit. In light of TailBot’s control-heavy arsenal, the Twitter poll instead favoured AndyWand and his unique lineup.

And it was the first game that defined the rest of the set. Utilising Seltkirk and a whole kingdom of crewmen — a Northern Realm, you could say — AndyWand was able to efficiently shut down TailBot’s Greatsword strategy and secure the first win. This led to TailBot jumping straight onto Red Coin Henselt, which Andy was ready for with his removal-heavy Hand-buff list. Sadly for him, he fell victim to Aguara, buffing his Yaevin to 20 and denying him the opportunity to regain card advantage in R2.

That said, AndyWand is no newbie and held his own against TailBot, the set coming down to the fifth game. Eithné clashed with Crach An Craite in what would be a battle of Operators. The Team Aretuza player utilised Hym to create his own version of this long-lost neutral silver. He needed it to earn himself an additional Light Longship, which TailBot was focussing on shutting down. This next level play won AndyWand the game and the day. And using cards like Aguara in his line-up, he sure did it in style! We can’t wait to see him at the next Challenger.

Congratulations to the winner of GWENT Open #5!

by Alex “sprackles” Sprackling

GWENT Open #5 is a wrap and proved to be one of the most diverse we’ve seen. Not only did it include a returning champion — some old veterans showed up, too! But it was the new faces who truly shined, and AndyWand in particular — a player that we first saw at GWENT Slam #2.

Day One kicked off with Challenger #3 victor TailBot taking on Hanachan in yet another grudge match. It feels like these two players are always clashing on the competitive GWENT scene and every one of their games is a close set. This one was no exception, with TailBot just about securing the victory to advance.

An old guard vs. new guard matchup followed, seeing Challenger #1 veteran proNEO3001 taking on newcomer Nujwk from Spain, who had brought a Calveit list heavily teched against Arachas Queen. ProNEO had prepared for this, however, and instead of playing greedy with his Nekkers, he boosted them in short bursts. This was the key to dodging Sweers and winning the game. This particular win set the pace for the rest of the set and the Challenger #1 veteran bagged the victory.

These next two new faces previously clashed in the qualifier for GWENT Slam #2. Germany’s AndyWand, thanks to a whacky Hand-buff Scoia’tael list, proved an entertaining player to watch. There was no escaping his eccentric tech choices with Aguara, which served as a Muzzle on a stick to reclaim his stolen Vrihedd Dragoon. Using this tactic, he was able to defeat China’s Huanshi7702.

Closing the day saw yet another new Polish competitor — Fanderman — clash with Damorquis, who was looking to redeem himself after an early exit from the last Open. The German player for Team Aretuza previously ran head first into the Orient Express of Hanachan’s Greatswords. Unfortunately for him, this time he was unable to secure a win in the Henselt mirror and it was Fanderman who came victorious in the end.

Day Two kicked off with TailBot taking on proNEO. The Challenger champion enjoyed not only the home advantage but also stronger decks. His opponent was running Arachas Queen, an archetype his control heavy lineup was teched against. Ultimately, TailBot won 3-1, presenting his fanbase with quite a sight to behold.

AndyWand went on to clash with Fanderman, who had stomped over fellow Team Aretuza member Damorquis on Day One. It was his hand-buff list that would serve a cold dish of revenge, forcing Fanderman to go down two cards. AndyWand would advance to the final 3-1.

The final was another day at the office for TailBot, who was already guaranteed a spot at the next Challenger, while AndyWand was looking to prove himself in his very first official event. That said, AndyWand is no newbie and held his own against TailBot, the set coming down to the fifth game. The Team Aretuza player utilised Hym to create his own Operator. He needed it to gain an additional Light Longship, which TailBot was focussing on shutting down. This next level play won AndyWand the game and the day. And using cards like Aguara in his line-up, he sure did it in style! We can’t wait to see him at the next Challenger.

Here are the final standings for the tournament:

FINALISTS
Ilias "AretuzaAndyWand" Karamanis (Germany) — $9,800
Damian "TailBot" Kaźmierczak (Poland) — $5,050

SEMIFINALISTS
Jacek "Fanderman" Leja (Poland) — $2,750
Alexander "proNEO3001" Shpak (Ukraine) — $2,750

QUARTERFINALISTS
Zehua "LpHanachan" Zhao (China) — $1,400
Xiaoxiang "Huanshi7702" Zeng (China) — $1,250
Mikel "Nujwk" Besga Aristizabal (Spain) — $1,000
Daniel "Damorquis" Morkisch (Germany) — $1,000

GrimReaperrz;n10951103 said:
My pc broke no replacement till next month i cri.
but till then i do have a ps4.
now im wondering i just installed the twitch app to watch the gwent livestream. But will that still give me the rewards for watching? I have linked my accounts and am logged in.

It will work if you are logged in on your Twitch account, which is linked with your GOG account :)

Gamer_Matt;n10950476 said:
I watched the whole quarterfinals, from start till end and got nothing, not even powder. I have to say I have been watching on mobile, but I did so the last time too and I got a reward pretty often.

Should be out now! Sorry for the delay!

GWENT Open #5 - New Challengers approach

by David “Panda” Gil Nolskog

The fourth season of the GWENT Masters Pro Ladder Circuit ended just a few weeks ago and GWENT Open #5 is upon us. Seasoned veterans make a welcome return to the main stage but the tournament also introduces new competitors, ready to prove they belong among the elite GWENT professionals. The rivalization is on! A sizeable prize pool and ever-so-valuable GWENT Masters Crown Points are at stake!

Let’s talk briefly about the participants. Hanachan and TailBot were both performing exceptionally well in GWENT’s most recent esports events. Damorquis and ProNEO hope to improve upon past performances and fight for championship. But there are others. Four new challengers aim to upset the balance of the GWENT competitive scene. Huanshi is the second Chinese player to qualify for a GWENT Masters event, hoping to emulate Hanachan’s prominent performances. Nujwk introduces yet another European powerhouse into the mix, representing Spain for the very first time in the official competition.

Finally, we have Fanderman and AndyWand, coming from Poland and Germany respectively. I had a chat with both players, taking a bit of time off their busy schedules of tournament preparations and extensive practice. I found out about their stories, their aspirations, and the methodology they employed throughout the Pro Ladder season to try and make it among the very best. What they told me is what I’d like to share with you.

The Polish Underdog

After a close attempt in season three, Fanderman has finally made it to the big stage. Adzikov and TailBot have already cemented Poland as one of the strongest countries of the GWENT scene. Fanderman hopes to propel them even further. Already experienced in gaming on a professional level, having previously competed in League of Legends, he was eager to transfer his determination and skills into GWENT. Fanderman’s journey started right as Open Beta released. Originally, he had no intention to truly commit to playing the game at a competitive level. He played fun decks and climbed the rank ladder, but was quickly found himself at Grandmaster simply by playing subpar decks. A switch flicked in his head — he realized how proficient his play really was and was determined to make a serious assault on the Pro Ladder. This Polish player finished 13th in his first ever Pro Ladder season, signalling from early on that he had both perseverance and skill necessary to compete for the top 8. Having his first brush with the Pro Ladder allowed him to improve his knowledge of all deck archetypes and factions, and further convinced him he had a high chance at cracking the next season top 8 if he fully committed to the idea.

Fanderman was able to close out season four of the Pro Ladder on an impressive third place, finishing with 5,809 MMR in one of the closest seasons to date. Fanderman’s crazy rise near the end was mostly due to the 100 fMMR points he gained on his Monsters fMMR after taking up a Consume deck in favor of a Sabbath archetype. Unlike many other competitors, Fanderman’s techniques when approaching the start of the season are quite unique and he sizes up the challenge of finishing top 8 in a very different manner. “People generally believe you should play 100 placement matches with each faction first and then continue climbing with the lowest faction of the four. I think that’s exactly what you should not do” he said when questioned regarding his approach to laddering. He claims you will need at least two factions over 1,450 fMMR for a top 8 finish, and it’s best to play a faction extensively until you achieve said goal. “There’s no point in stopping with a faction until I achieve my fMMR goal. That way I’m able to truly master a specific deck and have all the matchups fresh in my head as I play” he said. For Fanderman’s season four attempt, he relied heavily on the one thing that couldn’t deceive him — numbers. Using winrate stats from specific deck archetypes and card deck choices, Fanderman was fine-tuning his decks daily to counter the meta and get the best results possible. For the most part, he operated as a lone wolf — making his own decklists and rarely discussing strategy with other top players.

With his spot secured for GWENT Open #5, it was time to focus on a completely new aspect of competitive GWENT — tournament preparation. In the days following the end of the season, Fanderman joined Topdeck’s competitive team. Alongside established players like Kolemoen, I_aPOROgise and the rest of the tight knit team, they worked behind the scenes, going over matchups, statistics, and past tournaments. “The general strategy was to analyze previous tournaments. We tried to find specific patterns: what decks were brought, why specific strategies were successful. Then we try to emulate it” he said. Once the theory was revised, it was time for scrimming specific matchups and grinding Pro Ladder, whilst trying out different deck variations. Fanderman seems grateful for extra support in the tournament preparation. The change from his solo play to team preparation also allowed him to test himself against skilled practice partners, like Kolemoen, in a more controlled environment.

Fanderman is ecstatic to prove his worth in the upcoming tournament. As an avid gamer and an esports enthusiast, his true dream is to work full time in the pro gaming scene. Now he has a golden opportunity to do so. He believes the GWENT Masters Circuit has an incredible player support structure — if you have the necessary skill and put in the work, you’ll be rewarded with a sustainable profession. After the huge amount of time he’s invested trying to carve out a career within GWENT’s competitive scene, he defends it as one of the best he’s seen, especially in terms of feeling taken care of. For Fanderman, balancing pro play and his second year studying computer science is not an easy feat, and he confesses his performance in GWENT Open #5 will have a vital importance in deciding his future.

The Last Minute Miracle

AndyWand is no stranger to competitive GWENT. Unlike most newcomers to the official GWENT Masters Circuit, he’s already experienced what a main event has to offer: the tough competition, the nerves, and the focus required to come out on top. Ilias “AndyWand” Karamanis joins a lineup of participants from an already well-represented country on the GWENT esports scene — Germany. The player states his evolution since his debut at GWENT Slam #2 is formidable, and he hopes to put on a much better show this weekend, during GWENT Open #5.

AndyWand’s last minute climb secured him the very last qualification spot for the GWENT Open #5. He couldn’t be happier — it took a lot of hard work. Many would have given up altogether, but this player’s determination and resilience shone through, beating out 9th place Nujwk by a single point — truly a fitting, and very emotional end of season for AndyWand. Most players play by the numbers, analyze stats, and try to rationally give themselves an edge, but AndyWand has a very different approach to the Pro Ladder grind. He plays what he feels like playing, when he feels like playing it. He defends that playing comfortably will give you an edge in the end, and although he has made changes and professionalized his approach when comparing to GWENT Slam #2, he still believes in making some decisions that simply feel right.

AndyWand’s tournament preparation has changed drastically though, he confesses. “It was a different time back then, in GWENT Slam #2. I was the real new kid on the block, definitely one of the worst players on the stage. I wasn’t consistently playing at top level like other Pro Ladder players. One weekend, I had a good run through the online qualifiers and suddenly found myself playing in Vienna against some of the best players in the world”. For GWENT Open #5, he has a different outlook altogether. He states there’s an equal playing field, and he has the resources to truly prepare, unlike GWENT Slam #2. Ilias believes TailBot, the Chinese players and his teammate Damorquis, will be extremely tough to beat, but his goal is clear: to win and prove his competitive outlook has changed drastically in the past few months.

AndyWand’s biggest problem going into GWENT Slam #2 was his lackluster preparation. As a new kid on the block, he had little contact with some of the top players, and no real chances to discuss strategy or practice matchups through scrims with other high level players. This time around, all of that has changed. AndyWand is now part of one of the strongest competitive organizations in GWENT, Team Aretuza, and this gives him the resources necessary to make a run for the money. Once again, Team Aretuza is greatly represented at GWENT Open, with Damorquis making a repeat appearance and AndyWand taking the place of Ibdutchboy. Both players have a dedicated group of people behind them, discussing strategy, analyzing matchups and creating the most ideal deck compositions possible going into GWENT Open #5. “Team Aretuza has greatly helped me to improve. I take a lot more time now when playing and don’t make as many impulsive decisions” he states. Not only was the preparation better, the team has also helped AndyWand with motivation, being a decisive factor in convincing him to truly commit to GWENT and leave his university studies behind for a little while.

Although Ilias is definitely more prepared, a tough tournament lies ahead of him. “As I mentioned before, the guys I have the most respect for in the tournament are both Chinese players, Hanachan and Huanshi. They’re not scared of bringing riskier lineups, unlike most players. Even I fear them a bit.” From the last tournament he attended, viewers remembered AndyWand for his contagious smile as well as upfront answers during interviews. This has not changed. “I also don’t want to face TailBot as he’s a great player, and especially not my teammate Damorquis, otherwise he would have to leave in the first round” he jokes. GWENT Open #5 is yet another opportunity to prove AndyWand means business.

Will Fanderman show that Poland is no short of great players? Will AndyWand’s improved preparation and focus propel him to a championship victory? Find out this weekend at twitch.tv/cdprojektred, starting today at 4 PM CEST!

Interview with Damorquis

by Nikita "armavel44" Stavitsky from RuGwent Tournaments

Daniel “Damorquis” Morkisch qualified for GWENT Open #5 by finishing Pro Ladder on the 7th place. Just like last time, when he also battled intensely to finally make it into the event, he was able to qualify for the tournament, proving that what happened 2 months ago was not a coincidence.

Armavel44: First of all, congratulations! This is already your second GWENT Open! Last time, you faced Hanachan, who ultimately won the event. Was GWENT Open #4 your first LAN event? What was going through your head before and after the game? Who did you cheer for?
Damorquis: Thanks! It was quite a close run for the top 8. I am happy I made it and have another chance to compete in a GWENT Open LAN event.

The series against Hanachan was really intense. It indeed was my first LAN event but as soon as I sat down at the game table, I forgot about the nerves altogether and focused entirely on the game. After the series, I was quite disappointed. It felt like I could have won. I was happy that I played really well in the games I came victorious, but, on the other hand, I threw the Veteran versus Alchemy series and knew that if there ever was a next time, I would be better prepared.

My training partner for the event was LBdutchboy, so naturally, that’s who I cheered for. Shame that his Veterans suffered a similar fate as mine.

A: This "next time" is coming very soon! Let's talk a little bit about GWENT Open #5. What are your expectations? This time, we will see established GWENT professionals such as TailBot or Hanachan, but also first timers, like your teammate AndyWand. Are you looking forward to a rematch with Hanachan? What do you think about the possibility of playing versus your teammate?
D: Geez, I really hope I don't have to face that rookie AndyWand! Who knows what crazy lineup he will bring to the Open?! But seriously, the dream is to start on the opposite sides of the bracket and see each other in the finals. I think this particular Open is really interesting for two reasons. Firstly, we have a lot of new faces like Huanshi7702 and Fanderman. AndyWand has already participated in GWENT Slam #2, so I think he will be fully focused on his second GWENT LAN event. Hanachan is probably the best player in the world right now, along with TailBot, therefore he will be an even tougher opponent this time around. I have improved loads since last time so I am not afraid to face any of these guys. And I would be happy to get my revenge against Hanachan.

The current meta is very interesting for the tournament. There is a high potential for targeting decks like Nekkers or Greatswords, but also to pick greedy decks like Consume with Decoy and Summoning Circle to secure victory against people who, in fear of counters, didn’t bring their strongest decks to the tournament. It is hard to tell who will emerge victorious in the end. A lot will come down to the matchmaking in quarterfinals.

A: Let’s briefly discuss the current meta. Do you like where it stands now? The ladder might seem deceptively stale, but we do see a lot of different factions hitting the top, and various archetypes being played in the tournaments.
D: I think the meta in general has become more stable and it was a good choice not to release patches within the Pro Ladder season anymore. On one hand, it is a lot more balanced and doesn’t force you to play one deck at a particular point of time, as you’re expecting it to get nerfed. But, it is more difficult to achieve high scores from previous Pro Ladder seasons.

I still think there is a lot to improve, but I am happy this is being tackled with the removal of Create cards from competitive mode by the end of May. The high variety of decks in tournaments shows just how many archetypes are viable in a fixed coin setting and with a ban option, but tournament play is a totally different experience from Pro Ladder and ranked play.

A: You used to play GWENT casually, so you can compare it to the competitive scene. Are there many differences? For example, how much do you play GWENT now, compared to when it was just a hobby? Do you analyze your ladder games regularly?
D: The great thing about GWENT is that it allows people to go either of these paths. Going competitive is a totally different experience from casual play, albeit just as enjoyable. There are many ways to become a professional GWENT player. I started with exchanging gameplay ideas, matchup strategies and suggestions with my teammates from Team Aretuza. I quickly realized how deep the understanding of the game can go. I didn’t think players were able to push GWENT to its full potential, although several were really close to perfect play. I decided to analyze the Pro Ladder, find out at what time of the season points are being generated fast and where I can expect phases of stagnation. Next, we analyzed the meta on weekly basis, picking the right decks at the right time to benefit from a higher number of favorable matchups. Whenever we felt like we didn't play a deck perfectly, we played friendly matches within the team and recorded both players’ hands to analyze the matches. The best time to increase your score is during the last days of Pro Ladder. So I stayed up and played all night to secure my spot in the upcoming tournament.

People often complain that to go pro, you have to play a ton of games. While that is true, one also has to know that you also have to play smart. I learned a lot from my teammates, tried to play slowly, think through even the more obvious turns and kept track of my Pro Ladder performance. In the end, my analytic approach paid off and I hit top 8 two seasons in a row, which proves that someone without a background in pro gaming can still secure a spot at Open.

A: You have mentioned your teammates and Team Aretuza. You are one of the leaders and, I would say, one of the most popular members of the team. In addition, you’re the most successful, being able to qualify for 2 GWENT Opens in a row. Looking back, when you first discussed this idea with your friend Hennotje, what were your goals and expectations? Could you imagine that this will evolve into such big and wonderful community? And how did you come up with the name?
D: At the beginning, we were just a nice group of players who had one common goal — to get better at GWENT. When Henno recruited me, the team had already existed. Henno found me on one of the 4 days in my life when I was actually streaming. One day, I had a long train ride back home so I used that time to write a business plan for the team to become competitive, rather than just a group of good players. Henno liked the idea and, as Team Managers, we started to build what you now know as Team Aretuza. It was tough, but everyone on our team is a hard worker and we’re all really committed to the game. Our team spirit is truly amazing.

We did have a very difficult moment, when our biggest competitor started to poach our players. But that motivated us even more. With the introduction of our website and a public Discord, we were able to get in touch with a lot more players and I am both really proud of the fantastic community we have built and thankful to all of our supporters who made this possible.

At some point, we thought about changing the name, but neither Gwentanamo nor Gwentoxity were good enough choices, so we stuck to the initial one, which origin will forever remain unknown.

A: Team Aretuza is probably one of the most successful teams on the professional GWENT scene. Now, you and AndyWand will be representing it in the upcoming tournament. Speaking of qualification — recently, CD PROJEKT RED has announced that top 100 players will compete for 2 slots in the qualifier for Open #6, and only top 50 will compete for a chance to participate at GWENT Challenger #4. What are your thoughts on these changes? Have you participated in last two qualifiers hoping to get a spot in Challenger?
D: I like where we are now but we are nowhere close to be done and have big goals for the future of GWENT! I really like the changes introduced by CD PROJEKT RED. It’s nice to see that the feedback expressed by the community, and with top players in mind, is listened to. With these changes in place, there is an incentive to compete for Pro Ladder top 100 and more people have a shot at getting to an official GWENT tournament. I am also really happy that the amount of people at the Challenger qualifier was decreased. Although in the past, well-known players like I_aPOROgise, Tailbot and Kolemoen qualified for Challenger in this very way, I didn’t think top 200 was making much sense. Top 50 however, sounds like a good idea, giving enough people a chance to compete and not forcing everyone to play an overly long tournament.

Last time, Team Aretuza’s xYazz and shinmiri2 managed to get quite far in Day Two of qualifiers so I hope they will hit the goal this time around! And I myself will try to seal the deal directly at Open. This season, fight for the top 6 will be harder than ever, but I am looking forward to the excitement. May the best 6 win!

A: A lot of people want to know more about you and, as far as I know, you have a bachelor degree in behavioral economics! Is this something you are interested in pursuing in the future? Or do you want to fully focus on esports? You became quite a successful member of the GWENT competitive scene, with this already being your second Open event!
D: Actually I have been hard at work finishing my master’s degree. Well, almost. Only the master’s thesis is left and that’s what I am working on right now. Although I really enjoy GWENT and the time with my teammates, this year I will tackle new challenges as a Behavioral Economist! I am proud of what I was able to achieve in GWENT and I am still hungry for victories, however behavioral economics, analyzing biased thinking and patterns in consumer behavior is my true passion and a one I would like to pursue. During my research phase for the master’s thesis, I had a lot of free time which I invested in GWENT and building the team. I have made many good friends within the community and enjoyed my time a lot. If I make it to Challenger, I will keep on playing GWENT for a little while longer. Otherwise, the plan is to focus more on the managerial side of GWENT and continue my career goals in consulting.

A: So you also treat behavioral economics as a hobby?
D: Behavioral economics is the discipline that interested me since my second year of studies. I learnt about incentives, information economics, game theory, and even went abroad to cover additional topics after I took all of the available lectures at my university. It's more than a hobby. It's a part of science that will always interest me and I am always eager to improve my skills at it. It’s how I imagine my future career.

A: What do you do in your spare time, between playing GWENT and studies? Would you like to recommend any books or movies you recently found interesting?
D: Apart from playing GWENT and working on my master’s thesis, I take part in a lot of different activities. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week to stay fit. I own a lifeguard license and recently also passed the exams for a motorboat license. I love to travel, especially across Europe. I have already visited Scotland, Switzerland, Poland, and been to many different cities all over the continent. I feel like, if there are two things that it is best to spend money on, it's traveling and food. I am a passionate cook. During my Scotland trip, I discovered my love for Single Malt Whisky, which is also shared by one of my friends — ProNEO — and my teammate Gvuardya. My goals for this year is to visit some of my friends in Germany whom I haven't seen in a while, get a sailing license and, hopefully soon, rent a boat to sail Croatia with my best friends.

Speaking of movies, my favorite would probably be either The Godfather or The Lord of the Rings. Another one that I really can recommend is Lucky Number Slevin.

As far as books are concerned, I recommend everyone to read Jean Paul Sartres’ Huis Clos which is an excellent piece of art. I read it in French and it immediately became my favorite book ever. Back in my childhood, I spent a lot of time in the library fantasy book section and my favorite hero was Drizzt Do Urden — a character brought to live by the author R.A. Salvatore who is the creator of the Icewind Dale lore. To everyone who enjoys fantasy literature, I deeply recommend The Dark Elf Trilogy.

A: That is quite a solid list, and a one I can certainly admire! As a few closing words, are there any secrets you wish to share with people reading this interview and who are dreaming about becoming a professional GWENT player? Trying to combine studies and playing games seems like a lot of hard work, so what are your tips for people who are still on the fence?
D: Most importantly, decide what you want and stick to it!
When you want to go competitive in GWENT, play your games like a competitive player. Clean your desk, clean your mind. Take your time to play each turn, don't get too salty. You won't get anywhere if you blame the game. Push forward and keep improving your skills. Sometimes it's hard to see the mistakes we make. Ask your friends, teammates, or even shoot us a question in our public Discord!

The other important advice I would give to everyone who wants to compete: don't let the Pro Ladder grind consume your life. Hit the gym, meet up with friends and actively pursue your other hobbies. Exclusively playing GWENT will only put an unhealthy pressure, because once you go all in, every lost game will just be painful. Sometimes, it's better to not play — to take breaks, recover and come back with a clear mind when the meta is more favorable.

Trying to study and compete in high level GWENT comes down to your time management. You will need discipline and determination to get the results you want in both. And yes, you’ll need a lot of it. But it is possible and if you feel like you have these qualities — go for it! I wish you the best of luck!

A: And I wish you good luck in GWENT Open #5! Go qualify for Challenger! Thank you for taking time out of your busy life to answer questions and make this interview happen!
D: Thank you a lot!

pl91;n10947689 said:
here is the thing though,lets say you give a small advantage,or just a utility token, or anything really to the player who loses the coinflip (i have no idea if thats what you are gonna do,just judging by what similar games have done to solve this)

if the outcome of a specific match(and to give you the worst possible example,lets say the "world championship final" match), would not be determined by who won the coinflip,then the player who lost the coinflip would get a kinda unfair headstart.

wouldnt you need to check first, that the reason a player won/lost the match was that he or she won/lost the coinflip, and not because he made a couple of missplays more than his opponent? (remember that we are talking about a specific match at a time,and not the general problem,since its pretty obvious that in a big percentage of matches thhe coinflip does play a role).

For e-sports the coinflip is not a problem, so that scenario is out of the question. When we check the coinflip we mainly rely on the outcome of the match not card play-by-play analysis.

Bracala;n10947122 said:
Hi guys I finished my second playthrough of Witcher 3 on death march so now I started to play Gwent game. Its great game but problem is I know very little about cards I don't have.

So can anyone recommend me webpage with UPDATED info where I can read about all Gwent cards and their effects.I found 2 but they are not updated, cards points and effect are changed now.

We work closely with gwentdb.com so It's the best recommendation :)

time_drainer;n10947215 said:
That sounds quite interesting, I would love to hear more. Any chance you could share more details on what were the problems? (Here or maybe in an article on main site or the planned video about balancing you mentioned earlier)

We'll be talking more about the coinflip once we implement the fix :)

Top Bottom