GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you planning on solving the coin flip?

What have been some fun/crazy/interesting experimental modifications to Gwent that you developers have been playing around with (during the entire lifetime of the project)? Have you as an individual developer made any interesting experiments just because you could? Is this something that developers generally do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the decision to have 2 rows per side ''set in stone'' or it will be possible to go back to the current 3 rows per side if the community does not like the change.
One more thing, any chance for a screenshot of the current ''Homecoming'' version in a month or two?

Dear developers, I'm playing Gwent since almost the very beginning of the Closed Beta, and today suddenly saw that my rewards for Closed Beta top 1000 will soon be actually a gift to all the newcomers, they just need to reach super easy rank 10. So, the question is, why do you value my and your all other the earliest supporters' achievements as a joke? Didn't we deserve these rewards to remain unique for us, in addition to almost worthless "Pioneer"?

I'm sure one of considerations has been to vertically split the board in two equal halves. With 2-2 board rows, this would result in 4-4 sections. Is this idea still considered or will another depth-retaining idea be implemented?

Every single game is against professional AI. Do you do anything to ban bots from playing gwent? Every single game in casual is a loss. I took a year off and the problem just seems worse. There is no way I'm investing money in this game to lose every game against the developer's AI.

418327;n10924019 said:
How are you planning on solving the coin flip?

What have been some fun/crazy/interesting experimental modifications to Gwent that you developers have been playing around with (during the entire lifetime of the project)? Have you as an individual developer made any interesting experiments just because you could? Is this something that developers generally do?

When it comes to the coinflip we tested some solutions almost a year ago where we had phantom points and tokens on the board to give a small advantage to the player going first, both those options were quite interesting, but also problematic. Now we are trying something different.

KapetanCvarak94;n10924082 said:
Is the decision to have 2 rows per side ''set in stone'' or it will be possible to go back to the current 3 rows per side if the community does not like the change.
One more thing, any chance for a screenshot of the current ''Homecoming'' version in a month or two?

We are confident two rows is the way to go, but are open to discussion. I plan to show some behind the scenes stuff when the time is right :)

Holfisteng;n10924550 said:
Dear developers, I'm playing Gwent since almost the very beginning of the Closed Beta, and today suddenly saw that my rewards for Closed Beta top 1000 will soon be actually a gift to all the newcomers, they just need to reach super easy rank 10. So, the question is, why do you value my and your all other the earliest supporters' achievements as a joke? Didn't we deserve these rewards to remain unique for us, in addition to almost worthless "Pioneer"?

We wanted the rewards to be more accessible to players, no worries after Homecoming things will change even more :)

Udalryk;n10924694 said:
I'm sure one of considerations has been to vertically split the board in two equal halves. With 2-2 board rows, this would result in 4-4 sections. Is this idea still considered or will another depth-retaining idea be implemented?

No plans on implementing such an idea.

Profilgate;n10924799 said:
Every single game is against professional AI. Do you do anything to ban bots from playing gwent? Every single game in casual is a loss. I took a year off and the problem just seems worse. There is no way I'm investing money in this game to lose every game against the developer's AI.

Bots get banned in GWENT, in casual you hardly ever see them. The only AI we have implemented is in practice mode.

its pretty obvious that the coinflip plays a role in who wins in some matchups................keyword: "some". In the majority of the games though, what determines who wins, is not the coinflip,but pretty much who makes the less mistakes,plus a bit of luck in the draw.

question is this: how are you guys deciding when the coinflip plays a major role,a minor role,or possibly no role at all,in the outcome of a match?

Burza46;n10924907 said:
When it comes to the coinflip we tested some solutions almost a year ago where we had phantom points and tokens on the board to give a small advantage to the player going first, both those options were quite interesting, but also problematic.
That sounds quite interesting, I would love to hear more. Any chance you could share more details on what were the problems? (Here or maybe in an article on main site or the planned video about balancing you mentioned earlier)

pl91;n10925177 said:
its pretty obvious that the coinflip plays a role in who wins in some matchups................keyword: "some". In the majority of the games though, what determines who wins, is not the coinflip,but pretty much who makes the less mistakes,plus a bit of luck in the draw.

question is this: how are you guys deciding when the coinflip plays a major role,a minor role,or possibly no role at all,in the outcome of a match?

It simple, we check the win/loss ratios based on the color of the coin.

time_drainer;n10947215 said:
That sounds quite interesting, I would love to hear more. Any chance you could share more details on what were the problems? (Here or maybe in an article on main site or the planned video about balancing you mentioned earlier)

We'll be talking more about the coinflip once we implement the fix :)

Snake_Foxhounder;n10947908 said:
Would you guys please consider bringing the old victory cry back? Sounds so much better than the subtle one we have now.

The victory screen will see a major overhaul with project Homecoming :)

The time constraints for the change from three rows to two worries me, it's not like 6 months is all that long of a time in game development, especially when you imagine the scope of the changes we have been led to believe. I imagine there must be two builds in development one with the structure of three rows we have now and one with the two you are testing.

I really hope we can open this 'discussion' soon as I know the majority of people I've spoken to in the community aren't a fan of the sound of removing a row seemingly based off of UI restrictions of card size, according to Marcin in the Homecoming roadmap anyway. Can you possibly give us a timescale to ease our minds a bit, because I'm genuinely worried we'll see this stuff in September when it's far too late to go back.

Guest 4305932

Hi Burza, do you guys have intention to make positioning in the row (putting units on the left/right of other units) matters more in homecoming?

Hello Burza,

Since its confirmed we wont have a vertical split of the board and 4 places to put cards.
And we are going to return to a more complex gameplay.

Are we going to a more tradtional card game route with attack phases, or HP for players, or resources managements?
Or all of the above?

More a request than a question...would it be possible to choose the soundtrack we hear for matches? Or, have an option to play the Witcher Gwent soundtracks instead?

I am really tired of hearing (uninspiring) Nilfgaard and Scoiatael music.
Skellige tracks capture some feel for being in the heart of a deadly battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom