I just reached Rank 8 and I am NOT going to play Ranked till Season Ends

+

rrc

Forum veteran
My own decks only. I don't try netdecks and hate them by principle. You won't believe me, but when I wanted to push to Rank 7 from 8, I got consistently pathetic hands. I wouldn't pull any W3 in both R1 and R2 and in one game, I used all mulligans in R2 to try and get W3, and in R3, all my three draws were W3.. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry :p

If I have time, with bad luck reversed, I will get R7, but it is too late now. (BTW, when does this season end?). It has always been the case pre HC too.. I will go very close to R20 and then drop some 400 points down and then come back and reach 4K points (for top 10K rank, which was prestigious then). Because of huge vacation didn't play much this season.

Lexor

Forum veteran
My own decks only. I don't try netdecks and hate them by principle. You won't believe me, but when I wanted to push to Rank 7 from 8, I got consistently pathetic hands. I wouldn't pull any W3 in both R1 and R2 and in one game, I used all mulligans in R2 to try and get W3, and in R3, all my three draws were W3.. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry :p

I was so many times "just one win from rank 7" that I stopped to count them either.
In the end I've got rank 7 by a "series" (I've got "+2 wins" for 3rd win in row).

EDIT: PS: R1/R2 is round 1/2, but what is W3? :)

(BTW, when does this season end?)

According to this post: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/season-of-the-wild-hunt-is-live.10992511/

Season of the Wild Hunt will last until January 3rd, 12 PM (noon) CET.

...but I do not know if this information is "still correct" as today (January 2nd) some patch is expected.

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I was so many times "just one win from rank 7" that I stopped to count them either.
In the end I've got rank 7 by a "series" (I've got "+2 wins" for 3rd win in row).

PS: R1/R2 is round 1/2, but what is W3? :(

According to this post: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/season-of-the-wild-hunt-is-live.10992511/

Season of the Wild Hunt will last until January 3rd, 12 PM (noon) CET.

...but I do not know if this information is "still correct" as today (January 2nd) some patch is expected.
wait, so there's a patch tomorrow? Calling it now, it's only gonna be +-1 changes that won't fix anything and maybe some qol changes + something for the shop

I wound up another season still not able to get out of double-digits; I am at rank 10. I am astonished, looking at the leader boards, the number of games many people play during a season. It seems impossible for me to ever get higher than rank 10, as I ended the first HC season also in double digits. (This season I'm at 341 matches with a record of 158-177-6, but that number is inflated due to the holidays, as I work full-time.) I really don't see how people are able to do it, frankly!

Lexor

Forum veteran
I wound up another season still not able to get out of double-digits; I am at rank 10. I am astonished, looking at the leader boards, the number of games many people play during a season. It seems impossible for me to ever get higher than rank 10, as I ended the first HC season also in double digits. (This season I'm at 341 matches with a record of 158-177-6, but that number is inflated due to the holidays, as I work full-time.) I really don't see how people are able to do it, frankly!

I could say that "I am astonished, looking at the leader boards, the number of games you played during a season." ;)
I played like 3x less matches than you (ended with 66/49/3 and at rank 7, my start was at rank 15).

It was planned to be today. Beside some changes It should introduce five new leaders.
The patch won't be til next week at best. The community guessed it would be today or tomorrow but it was never confirmed by cdpr. New leaders will be end of the month.

Burza's tweet:
For those asking about updates: - Some balance tweaks and changes we highlighted in the stream are coming sometime next week (If all goes well with certification) - New leaders are coming closer to the end of January (placeholder date)

EDIT: PS: R1/R2 is round 1/2, but what is W3? :)

Witchers, presumably. I'm guessing it was a reference to one of those games where Witchers remain elusive even when burning mulligans and then burning said mulligans backfires and you get screwed. I always blame Lambert. It's not the first time he has been a saboteur.

rrc

Forum veteran
Yes, I meant the Witchers Trio.

And YES!!!! Reached R7!!! Phew.. with some pretty good hand and blunders from opponents and with three Winning Streak, reached R7!

Now, ready or not, here I come casuals and arena!

Feel the same way (regarding giving up on Ranked once I reach a certain Rank). This season I gave up at Rank 7 with Iorveth avatar completed. For some reason I can't exactly point out I feel like it's harder Rank up in Homecoming. My winning percentage is at 50ish this season. Win one, lose one, win one, lose one. Open Beta I reached rank 20 every season without much of a hassle in less than 100 games with a 65+ winning percentage. There's also no way I would have gotten into top 10k with this winning percentage in open beta which leads me to 2 conclusions: the player base has plummeted and/or there's lack of consistency right now. It also doesn't help that I face Eredin and Woodland decks all the time but that's for another discussion.

Last edited:
Feel the same way (regarding giving up on Ranked once I reach a certain Rank). This season I gave up at Rank 7 with Iorveth avatar completed. For some reason I can't exactly point out I feel like it's harder Rank up in Homecoming. My winning percentage is at 50ish this season. Win one, lose one, win one, lose one.

It might have something to do with the added variance due to the draw/mulligan systems, lower number of areas involving a skill gap (CA meta-game minimized due to hand-limit/3 draws, spies gone, point differential is also a lower concern early in rounds due to hand limit/3 draws), and the fact most round winning board states tend to revolve around snowballing the round (either because a certain setup/card combo cannot be dealt with due to the earlier mentioned variance or something like last say). Basically, it's harder to completely dominate lower skill opponents.

On the topic of the ranked system.... It's not impressive. It places too much emphasis on games played instead of the result of those games. That is, until most of the "ladder" gets 4 factions completed. I preferred the old systems used in beta. They were not perfect but were probably a better reflection of player ability in ranked.

With that said... I don't see why you would decide to stop play after hitting a certain rank. If you're "supposed" to hit a higher rank you would be able to do so. If you cannot hold your existing rank you probably don't really deserve it, and managed to ride a lucky break into a winning streak.

Personally, I haven't really cared to play ranked for a while. It's not because I was worried about the ranking system, season rewards, etc. though. It's because it's an absolute irritating chore to play it at a certain point. Basically, the meta is boring, uninspiring and redundant. Granted, this is completely an opinion.

• RED Point
Well, considering I just went 1-4 tonight in one last pathetic attempt to get a higher rank, I'm beginning to agree with @Restlessdingo32. I really can't see how people can get into the single digits. I consistently get decks that I can't win against, and yes, I know how to play the game enough to get to rank 10 and know the archetypes by now. I'm finding it increasingly harder to muster enthusiasm for a game that just beats me down so much once I think I'm getting somewhere, despite putting in the hours necessary to get MMRs in all of the factions.

Well, considering I just went 1-4 tonight in one last pathetic attempt to get a higher rank, I'm beginning to agree with @Restlessdingo32. I really can't see how people can get into the single digits. I consistently get decks that I can't win against, and yes, I know how to play the game enough to get to rank 10 and know the archetypes by now. I'm finding it increasingly harder to muster enthusiasm for a game that just beats me down so much once I think I'm getting somewhere, despite putting in the hours necessary to get MMRs in all of the factions.
Now imagine how that feels for someone like me who barely has any cards and has to do with basic decks.

Lexor

Forum veteran

I think achieving "single digit" is not that hard. 9, 8, 7 are "single digits" as well and 9, 8 still allow "winning streaks" so getting to 7 can be problematics but it is much easier than climbing to 6-0.

The three main problems are: piloting, netdecking and variety.
1. Even the best deck when badly piloted can lose most games.
2. It's much harder to win when netdecking as your opponent will probably know your deck very well.
3. You need to have many different winning conditions in your deck and try to surprise your opponent with them.

Now imagine how that feels for someone like me who barely has any cards and has to do with basic decks.

I'm new player as well and I have only one working / competitive deck.
I created it myself and it got me to rank 14 in November and to rank 7 in December.

• RED Point
Top Bottom