Boss battles

+
Hm. On the surface, I don't have any problem with this, as long as they don't make it too "game-y." Case in point: Diablo 2. Fight boss, OMG I'm getting whupped on, portal back to town for healing and better armor / weapons, portal back, resume fight.

If you make an attempt on someone, when you come back, they should be better prepared.

You should also have to face the probability that you will need to take a different approach or strategy.

Different approach/strategy is fine, but I want them to avoid formulaic, one-solution-only boss battles - there's a few of those in TW2, but I'm hoping they've learned NOT to do it again.

I also like the idea of the boss's bodyguards being the problem, rather than the boss himself. Dishonored did that well, as did The Missing Link after the mess of DX:HR. The only problem with it is if you end up with an extended linear corridor leading up to the boss fight, so the build-up shouldn't last too long (and, again, shouldn't be formulaic).

Forum veteran
I want bosses who run out of ammo. Psyching out a boss to the point where they waste all their ammunition should be a viable strategy.

Different approach/strategy is fine, but I want them to avoid formulaic, one-solution-only boss battles - there's a few of those in TW2, but I'm hoping they've learned NOT to do it again..
I hope so, this is what I was trying to say. Remember: Failure is always an option. And I don't think that it should always be fatal.

I want bosses who run out of ammo. Psyching out a boss to the point where they waste all their ammunition should be a viable strategy.

Nice strategy, if you can survive it. I would like to see it be doable, but a problem that I can see with it is that a smart enemy will save that last magazine to keep you pinned until the back up that they have called shows up, all the while, hoping that you are short on rounds too.

Hmmmm...

Has this been done in a game before? The option to fail a story-driven checkpoint, with the option of coming back to it later.

More to the point: coming back to it, and having it be a different approach. Say your job is to flatline a mob boss; if you miss your first opportunity, I don't know of any game that gives you not only a second chance, but makes you approach the hit again in a different area, with different conditions.

No. No boss battles. Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. How gamey. How not-Cyberpunk 2020. How worst-part-of-Deus Ex. Yuckity,

Sure but there have to be climactic battles, and we have fallen to calling then "Boss Battles". So in terms of climactic battles, how would you do it?

No. No boss battles. Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. How gamey. How not-Cyberpunk 2020. How worst-part-of-Deus Ex. Yuckity,
All the boss battles! And they should have health bars above their head! And when you beat them, they should blink a few times, before they disappear out of existence! =D

[/sarcastic suggestions]

OMG YES.

And they should stick you in an arena you cannot escape from or sneak through or talk your way out of no matter how clever you were in NOT getting INTO that arena and they should do this EVERY time, not forgetting to give you LOTS of ammo and health pots because you need them.

At different stages, minions should rappel out of the sky, just from nowhere, and attack you no matter where you are hiding or who you bribed! They should also be tougher and tougher minions, because who in their right goddamn mind would try to kill you with their best guys all at once? NO ONE, that's who!

Afterwards, totally unlikely treasure should appear, preferably exploding out of the boss in a corpse-shower of loot! Preferably glowing, so you don't miss a piece.

[totally not sarcastic suggestions]

And also there need to be environmental factors in the closed battle field that maybe you don't notice the first time you fight and lose, but that you notice on the 3rd or 4th time, that make the fight so much easier. Oh and of course once the boss is dead that is the end of it, it's on to the next stage.

And also there need to be environmental factors in the closed battle field that maybe you don't notice the first time you fight and lose, but that you notice on the 3rd or 4th time, that make the fight so much easier. Oh and of course once the boss is dead that is the end of it, it's on to the next stage.

I think that, to keep things simple, they should just make it so that you can't win unless you watch a playthrough on Youtube first.

Top Bottom