The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt IS OFFICIAL!

+

Your appreciation notwithstanding, ( you know I love ya, lizard-babe), I hadn't seen this.

It's amazing.

I take back what I said about TPP not looking human.

I have to stop paying attention to W3 stuff..it's going to drive me nuts.

a good quote from CD about the trailer

“Killing Monsters” portrays the cruel and gritty world of The Witcher and foreshadows the mature mood of the upcoming story-driven RPG, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt"

for me that sounds like CD is indeed the right studio for CP2077. They know how to make a cruel, gritty and mature world just like Cyberpunk has to be togther with modern story driven rpg elements

Yeah, I was probably a bit premature on the gifs.

There's a lot being said on various review sites about them having crossed the uncanny valley with this trailer, I don't think I'd go that far. But if they can get anything even CLOSE to this on gameplay, it's going to be awesome.

It would have been more cruel and gritty had Geralt just walked by and let them beat the woman to death with a hammer. It would've made him much more of an antihero. Saving the woman, despite the initial hesitation, sort of made him take a step toward the usual Mary Sue goodness of protagonists.

His treatment of the lynch mob wasn't as much cruel as it was yawn-inducing usual shallow carnage.

As a video though, it's amazing. This is once again a good example of why we most definitely shouldn't get rid of rendered cinematics and use only game engine cutscenes.

It would have been more cruel and gritty had Geralt just walked by and let them beat the woman to death with a hammer. It would've made him much more of an antihero. Saving the woman, despite the initial hesitation, sort of made him take a step toward the usual Mary Sue goodness of protagonists.

Well, then the whole idea wouldn't have much sense. The 'killing monsters' was given another dimension here in which it applies not only to the fiends/dragons/manticores/ghouls etc. but also to people who very often act cruel, mean and nasty as if they were monsters theirselves exactly and what its all about. Moreover it is the concept from the A. Sapkowski's novel on which the whole Game trilogy is based. In the original book it was ( I don't want to quote) sth like this:

-Is this true that you witchers carry two swords and one of them is for killing monsters?
- Both are for killing monsters... - Replies Geralt

As a video though, it's amazing. This is once again a good example of why we most definitely shouldn't get rid of rendered cinematics and use only game engine cutscenes.

How do you know this was the game engine cutscene>?

Well, then the whole idea wouldn't have much sense. The 'killing monsters' was given another dimension here in which it applies not only to the fiends/dragons/manticores/ghouls etc. but also to people who very often act cruel, mean and nasty as if they were monsters theirselves exactly and what its all about. Moreover it is the concept from the A. Sapkowski's novel on which the whole Game trilogy is based. In the original book it was ( I don't want to quote) sth like this:

-Is this true that you witchers carry two swords and one of them is for killing monsters?
- Both are for killing monsters... - Replies Geralt

I didn't know the "killing monsters" had such significance, other than the blatantly obvious fact that the men were the monsters, but it still would've been more cruel had Geralt just let them do what they we're about to do. I for one like true antiheroes who don't fall for the same old heroic tripe present in every other story. The whole damsel in distress -thing is a bit corny.

I suppose if his internal dialogue had happened while they were bashing the woman's head in with a hammer, and he would've arrived at the decision to kill them after they'd already killed the woman, it would've been less corny.

How do you know this was the game engine cutscene>?

It wasn't, which is why I said we shouldn't get rid of rendered cinematics and only use engine cutscenes. I suppose I could have added the second "shouldn't" to clarify it.

I didn't know the "killing monsters" had such significance, other than the blatantly obvious fact that the men were the monsters, but it still would've been more cruel had Geralt just let them do what they we're about to do. I for one like true antiheroes who don't fall for the same old heroic tripe present in every other story. The whole damsel in distress -thing is a bit corny.

I suppose if his internal dialogue had happened while they were bashing the woman's head in with a hammer, and he would've arrived at the decision to kill them after they'd already killed the woman, it would've been less corny.

Hmm I get your point about the corny model of rescuing the lady in a distress. HOWEVER that is often the thing Geralt do and that is how he is a hero not a antihero and there is a very high chance that the girl plays some role further in the story :)

It wasn't, which is why I said we shouldn't get rid of rendered cinematics and only use engine cutscenes. I suppose I could have added the second "shouldn't" to clarify it.

Okay... Why is that? Why do you think Game engine trailers > rendered CG ?

His treatment of the lynch mob wasn't as much cruel as it was yawn-inducing usual shallow carnage.

That would have been an awesome representation of the game - "Play The Witcher 3, where you can stand idly by as peasant women get bashed to death!"

Ok..not really. The trailer is a nod to the books where Geralt, more often than not, tries to do what is right. That doesn't make him a mary sue or an anti-hero. He's neither. There's also a bit more nuance than you give credit here because there's increasingly more talk on Youtube, gaming sites, etc. about the possibility of the woman being guilty. The more you think about the setting and the disciplined and ruthless nature of Nilfgardians, the more weight this idea holds. Which is indicative of every CGI Platige has done for CDPR. They are never just flash and blood, but intricately tied to the lore of the books and represent specific moments in the games.

It's classic CDPR story-telling - a scenario that includes enough data to allow the viewer/player to form an opinion, but NOT enough to give an absolute confirmation that the opinion is fact.

So (if it's in the game) you get to agonise over your decision, and then complain later if there are unforeseen but totally logical "bad" consequences of that decision. Which there will be, but also "good" consequences. Because life.

And you get to participate in 50-page forum threads of passionate discussion about what was the right decision, because it will probably depend on the player/viewer's own paradigms, not an absolute and universal morality.

We love them for it. :)

It's classic CDPR story-telling - a scenario that includes enough data to allow the viewer/player to form an opinion, but NOT enough to give an absolute confirmation that the opinion is fact.

So (if it's in the game) you get to agonise over your decision, and then complain later if there are unforeseen but totally logical "bad" consequences of that decision. Which there will be, but also "good" consequences. Because life.

And you get to participate in 50-page forum threads of passionate discussion about what was the right decision, because it will probably depend on the player/viewer's own paradigms, not an absolute and universal morality.

We love them for it. :)

Kill them all, take their stuff, burn the bodies.

Problem solved.

I know it's possible RED only makes sequels for the people who played the first games, but from the point of view of someone who hasn't played the Witcher games, and who watched that video, it felt like very yada yada good guy saves a girl -type of shenanigans.

I like my heroes with a very deep streak of antihero in them. Not someone who "always tries to do the right thing." I mean, yawn. David Eddings, much?

Kill them all, take their stuff, burn the bodies.

Problem solved.

Until a Nilfgardian unit of special forces hunts you down and kills you because you wanted to play badass for a day. That's how a Witcher game works. :p

Macleod, don't worry. You'll get to do plenty of ruthless stuff, but they don't dole out player agency with reckless abandon. There's always consequences.

I know it's possible RED only makes sequels for the people who played the first games, but from the point of view of someone who hasn't played the Witcher games, and who watched that video, it felt like very yada yada good guy saves a girl -type of shenanigans.

I like my heroes with a very deep streak of antihero in them. Not someone who "always tries to do the right thing." I mean, yawn. David Eddings, much?

Yup, it's getting some criticism for that. The whole "damsel in distress" stuff. I'd like them to make an extended version now, showing it went really, really bad afterwards, but there'd still be some people who never go past that first impression (just like you still get at least one "Sex Cards" comment in every RPS thread about them).

On the anti-hero thing, I enjoy watching movies/TV with anti-heroes, but when I'm playing, I rarely want to go further to the dark side than "lovable rogue". Geralt suits me.

Have you seen the Herd of Pigs speech from TW1? It's still the best explanation of the morality (if you can get past the lousy acting)

Have you seen the Herd of Pigs speech from TW1? It's still the best explanation of the morality (if you can get past the lousy acting)

The whole concept of chaos being evil is something I can't get behind. In WoD if you look at the world from a werewolf point of view, order (the Weaver) is one of the bigger evils. As is athropy (the Wyrm), but chaos (the Wyld) is the good guy. Also, if you think about it, order isn't good. Look at Sardukhar's avatar. Equilibrium. That's order for you.

Chaos is what makes us human. It's what makes life worth living. It's what makes this Universe possible. Order is the laws trying to affect the chaos, and trying to bring forth the end.

I do agree with you though with not wanting to necessarily play a bad guy. I personally more often than not try to play the purest of pure. However, that's just a fault of mine, and that shouldn't be how stories go.

The whole concept of chaos being evil is something I can't get behind. In WoD if you look at the world from a werewolf point of view, order (the Weaver) is one of the bigger evils. As is athropy (the Wyrm), but chaos (the Wyld) is the good guy. Also, if you think about it, order isn't good. Look at Sardukhar's avatar. Equilibrium. That's order for you.

That's pretty much how it goes in TW1 too, where he's going through a self-discovery on this, and discovers that werewolves, ghouls, vampires aren't necessarily evil, even when they're killers. And that some humans are evil, even though they're law-abiding, righteous citizens.

Wow I played TW1 a few times but didn't remember that to have it in the back of my head and just put it here like some quote you recall everytime you need it. Well yeah it is a very good example and it is also interesting to actualy hear the english version of TW1. Zoltan sounds like some old grumpy pensioner man and characters animations were soooo bad back then hahah Still a great game tho! :D I can never forget the warewolf police comissioner whom I let free because he acted in a good cause. .. The clerk-spy gambler guy don't remember his name now ->great character! Magister and the Mage were badasses as well...

Wow I played TW1 a few times but didn't remember that to have it in the back of my head and just put it here like some quote you recall everytime you need it. Well yeah it is a very good example and it is also interesting to actualy hear the english version of TW1. Zoltan sounds like some old grumpy pensioner man and characters animations were soooo bad back then hahah Still a great game tho! :D I can never forget the warewolf police comissioner whom I let free because he acted in a good cause. .. The clerk-spy gambler guy don't remember his name now ->great character! Magister and the Mage were badasses as well...

You played the Polish version? I think the VAs were a LOT better in Polish. I don't think they had the money back then.

Clerk-spy gambler = Thaler. Dunno who you mean by Magister and Mage. And all I need to remember is "Herd of Pigs" and how to use Google :)

Top Bottom