Saints Row

+
Only really really fun? And funny! And fun. Also fun.

Which is the reason I play games. Well, that and the ability to groin kick someone into a building. And make a cool jet sound when super jumping into the air.

On a gameplay note, on Hardcore, you do not regenerate in combat, you have to kill people instead. It makes combat a lot more challenging.

For weapons I deploy Deckard's handgun and Robocop's SMG. And some other, less cool stuff. Oh! Except the singularity gun. THAT'S a lot of fun, too.

I noticed and that was fine by me.. I always thought regenerating that fast was too unrealistic anyway.. And since it is a virtual reality game, healing by killing people didn't bother me as much. For other games, i would much rather search for medical kits rather than regenerating like a reptile.. Left4Dead did that really well.. Bandaging yourself to heal complete with animations and all.. Would be a nice to see something similar in Cyberpunk.

I did exactly same thing with guns.. Couldn't help myself.. Too cool.. TOO COOL!

I really liked Dubstep Gun and Disintegrator as well.. (Both fully upgraded)

Health in games is always so problematic, isn't it? Regen seems silly, so does dropped health and conveniently placed kits make it a game of health hunt.

I was saying to one of the kids that I think it's because even now game designers haven't mastered making combat fun and dangerous without using the wall of health effect to a certain degree.

If they figure out how to do it so that you get hurt rarely and combat is still fun and exciting as opposed to a stealth-fest, I think health will be less of a problem.

I haven't ever played a Red Faction game but I know the Saints Row franchise not only had references to this series, but the creators acknowledged them as hints that it was indeed set in the same reality, as "prequels" so... doesn't the inclusion of an alien empire hitting earth so soon in its history kind of screw with that? Is there anyone in this forum that has been annoyed by this aspect?

Forum veteran
I haven't ever played a Red Faction game but I know the Saints Row franchise not only had references to this series, but the creators acknowledged them as hints that it was indeed set in the same reality, as "prequels" so... doesn't the inclusion of an alien empire hitting earth so soon in its history kind of screw with that? Is there anyone in this forum that has been annoyed by this aspect?
Saying it's the same reality is probably just them trolling fans. Not only are the Red Faction games serious, but the aliens are hibernating on Mars until ~2060 (and are basically just non-talking insect things), so Red Faction being preceded by an alien invasion at all doesn't fit. Remember, these are the people who made a game where you can have sex with a robot that looks like Wheatley from Portal 2, so taking anything they say seriously is probably a bad idea.

'Why does the pirate have a raven?"

"Is..this the same island the pirate is from?"

"WHY must you constantly demonstrate your plebeian intelligence?!"
"You sound like a nerd."

Especially good with Zinyak's baritone vs squeaky high-pitched PC.

Yes.

SR4 proves that one doesnt need a complex, door-stopping story to make a good game or good writing. That creativity can still sell one millions copies in the first week and that there is beauty and joy in stupidity and insanity.

Its the ballbustingly awesome joyride that this serious generation of games needed.

Forum veteran
Ballbustingly awesome joyride? Not... quite how I'd put it.

I hated it after 8 hours. Was running around doing copy-paste sidequests that pretty much involved doing boring chore work with lazy justifications for having to race, hack, etcetera. When not doing that, I was looking for clusters. It was dull; the large cast of characters not being around in the beginning basically meant that the charm of everyone playing off of each other was lost. The whole thing felt like a bunch of mods for 3, with a stupid story tacked on at the last minute.

Once you start to get your people back, though, it gets good. There are surprising moments of unexpected sincerity and nostalgia as previous games are mentioned and alluded to, and loyalty quests mostly avoid the tediousness that plagues the other sidequests. Still, the whole thing is marred by general clunkiness throughout (super jump powers < an inch or more of protruding roof), but the good eventually outweighs the bad. Especially the Metal Gear Solid sequence, which is simply brilliant.

Fair enough. What can I say Im easy to please. The complexity of The Witcher is just as satisfying to me as the simplicity of Hobo With a Shotgun. I liked the tarantino-esque dark humour of the second game as much as silly emphasis on humour of the third game.

The whole thing felt like a bunch of mods for 3, with a stupid story tacked on at the last minute.
...which is pretty much what it is. It was supposed to be add-on DLC, until they decided they had enough material to release a separate game.

Which is basically the same game, with more stuff added in, and razor-thin justifications as to why (aliens, virtual reality, cuz reasons.)

...which is pretty much what it is. It was supposed to be add-on DLC, until they decided they had enough material to release a separate game.

Which is basically the same game, with more stuff added in, and razor-thin justifications as to why (aliens, virtual reality, cuz reasons.)

My point exactly.. Basically is not worth being a separate game, it isn't even worth being a DLC, it is more like a mod.. A modder could have done it for free and depending on the modder, he or she could do it even better.. Saints Row 4 is an insult to us all and they ruined a perfectly good series with it..

Like most of you said so far...yes the superpowers are cool and all but after a while I have a funny feeling that I have already played this game.

Frankly, after GTA VC/SA all these games feel like retreads, but they are still a lot of fun!

Soo..who has made it to the Stealth mission? Because great.

"Why would I waste 2 bullets on the lights instead of one on the guard"

Guard: "I must protect the room. i must protect the room."

Asha: "This is a stealth operation. Things must be done in a certain order."

"That makes no sense!"

'MI6 makes it's own sense!"

And we're off into Metal Gear spoof!

Frankly, after GTA VC/SA all these games feel like retreads, but they are still a lot of fun!

"That makes no sense!"

Yep,that mission was hilarious.
Guard talking on his cellphone:"I was told to walk in this pattern over and over until something interesting happens."

"That makes no sense!"

Yep,that mission was hilarious.
Guard talking on his cellphone:"I was told to walk in this pattern over and over until something interesting happens."

Yes, that was a very funny mission.. But still, it should have been a DLC.. Non cannon one at that.. RANT WITH ME PEOPLE! :D

Sooo..

Soooo....

Roddy Piper is in this game. In the scene with Keith from They Live. And after. And he's acted by Roddy Piper.

I will hear nothing bad about this amazing game ever. I don't even care about it's repetitiveness, same city used or whatever the other non-important things that AREN'T Roddy Piper fighting Keith David are.

Perfection.

Top Bottom