Community Event - Summary

+
Freesia said:
True to that. Come to my city, and you won't regret it, I promise, :)/>
It's not so far from Warsaw and a change of place could be nice if you ask me.
Just let me lay down on the Charles Bridge and listen to the sweet, sweet music of the monkey man...

Freesia said:
You shouldn't have problems with getting around using English in Warsaw.

I would support the idea of bringing this still exotic place like Warsaw(or Poland in general) closer to the general public. Yes, there is Prague or London or Berlin which are all lovely places, but Warsaw is nice too and still not discovered by so many people. It's not that far from Europe and those coming from US - if there will be any - are going to have jet lag anyway, be it London or Warsaw.

What Warsaw has in return is a non limited, constant, never-ending stream of best vodkas in the world :)/>
Absolutely, and it's a great change of pace from the 'usual' tourist destinations. Oh, and the vodka argument is definitely a strong one :p

Why not warsaw eh? It's not like warsaw is radioactive and only polish people that evolved here can withstand radiation.

Warsaw would have another advantage (a minor one compared to the vodka one, of course) - there are many Polish Witcher fans here, probably more than willing to show their hospitality and help those coming from abroad with accomodation, sightseeing, getting around and logistics. And vodka.

OK true, Warsaw would be great and of course would make sense considering CDPR's studio is there.

Now, is it true what you say, Gregski? Could somone technically go to a random bar and order in English? Take a cab and give directions in English? Request a candy bar at a stand in English?

It would be an awesome experience, that's for sure. Meeting some forum people, having Polish vodka IN Poland, discussing Linux gaming with Gregski, you know :p

That looks wonderful. Polish fans are SO lucky!

Where another event should be held depends on who you'd invite. Guy N'wah is in California, Knight of Phoenix is in Canada, I think 227 is somewhere in the US, Tommy is in Tennessee, Seeker is in Canada, Kindo is in Germany... Chicago is looking good to me. ;)

Corylea said:
That looks wonderful. Polish fans are SO lucky!

Where another event should be held depends on who you'd invite. Guy N'wah is in California, Knight of Phoenix is in Canada, I think 227 is somewhere in the US, Kindo is in Germany... Chicago is looking good to me. ;)/>/>

I'm still for Buffalo on Dyngus Day, but Chicago or Toronto would be great, too. (California, you can party outdoors in the winter without foul-weather gear.)

Excellent party. Well done, guys.

Haha, Volsung! Just be careful that your Linux banter doesn't draw too much attention to Gregski. We don't want CDPR to discover he's our spy!

Volsung said:
Now, is it true what you say, Gregski? Could somone technically go to a random bar and order in English? Take a cab and give directions in English? Request a candy bar at a stand in English?

In a bar you would have no problem at all. In a cab it would be more difficult with older drivers, but younger ones shouldn't have too much problem. A candy bar at a stand should be fine too, I mean, "Snickers" is an international brand, you know :p

What you should keep in mind is this - internally, we hate each other with sometimes burning passion(this month our police captured a guy that was planning a bombing attack on our parliament and president) but we tend to have an opposite reaction towards foreigners Even if people don't understand you they will still try to help or ask someone else to help you. Also, every Pole will want you to leave this country with at least some basic knowledge of Polish, so you will soon be well trained in cursing and ordering vodka, at least.

Volsung said:
It would be an awesome experience, that's for sure. Meeting some forum people, having Polish vodka IN Poland, discussing Linux gaming with Gregski, you know :p/>

True, after a couple of shots THAT discussion would definitely get even more interesting than usual :p

freakie1one said:
Haha, Volsung! Just be careful that your Linux banter doesn't draw too much attention to Gregski. We don't want CDPR to discover he's our spy!
Don't worry, the janitor will vouch for him!

gregski said:
Also, every Pole will want you to leave this country with at least some basic knowledge of Polish, so you will soon be well trained in cursing and ordering vodka, at least.

My father was stationed in Germany during the Vietnam war. He said the two things he learned to say in German are "Pomme Frites und Bier, bitte" (french fries and beer, please) and "wo ist die Toilette?" (where is the toilet?). I'm sure he learned a curse word or two as well

Atlanta is nice ;) and an easy airport to fly to.
I will also jump on any opportunity or excuse to see Prague again. If only it weren't so crowded.

freakie1one said:
My father was stationed in Germany during the Vietnam war. He said the two things he learned to say in German are "Pomme Frites und Bier, bitte" (french fries and beer, please) and "wo ist die Toilette?" (where is the toilet?). I'm sure he learned a curse word or two as well />/>/>/>

If heavy-duty cursing is your objective, German isn't that useful. Most of it's potty or F-bomb stuff. It's got nothing on Quebec French, which allowed my mother-in-law and her cousins to string together really stunning blasphemies that shouldn't be posted on a polite forum.

Polish has psia krew, which is a good old-fashioned mild oath, one that cannot give too much offense because hardly anybody has any vulgar associations with "dog's blood" (I think it had something to do with the Turks in the Bad Old Days).

freakie1one said:
I suggested Chicago because it's a lot closer and easier for the Canadians. Or maybe Toronto, since I think Canada is easier for non-citizens to get into than the US is.

Chicago's OK by me. Guests from Poland should feel right at home; for a while, thanks to the Polish diaspora, it was the second-biggest Polish city after Warsaw (now New York and London have bigger Polish expat communities).

But the State Department treats every foreigner entering the US as a potential illegal immigrant, so I can well understand holding an event for North Americans in Toronto or Montréal or Vancouver.

jfprovata said:
Atlanta is nice ;)/> and an easy airport to fly to.
I suggested Chicago because it's a lot closer and easier for the Canadians. Or maybe Toronto, since I think Canada is easier for non-citizens to get into than the US is.

Dona said:
Just let me lay down on the Charles Bridge and listen to the sweet, sweet music of the monkey man...

Absolutely, and it's a great change of pace from the 'usual' tourist destinations. Oh, and the vodka argument is definitely a strong one :p/>

I really adore your love for Prague :D
Talking about alcohol, while being in the Czech republic, you should also taste slivovice :)

Nonetheless, Canada sounds amazing, I'd love to visit there sometime, and meeting many of you guys on the way? Even better.

Corylea said:
Sorry! />

*smiles* no harm , no foul .
Actually after doing some thinking on the subject . For myself it really doesn`t matter where it would be held as long as there are CD Projekt RED fans in attendance then all is good !

If it's to be in the sates New York makes the most sense. Best exposure there for the RED's. England or Germany both seem fit for a western European visit.

vindafarna said:
Open world, you say? i.e. Skyrim

Not quite I believe. It's supposed to have a STORY, and knowing CDPR, decisions that actually matter. Probably more like Fallout 1/2 and Betrayal at Krondor: story-driven, open-world.

I would argue that Elder Scrolls games are more like a sandbox: do what you want, nobody cares :)

Top Bottom