Netrunning 3.0

+
Netrunning 3.0

This is a new aproach to netrunning that I want to test with my players. Feel free to comment anything about it.

Basic concept structure:

Use the Stat+Skill+1D10 of the overall game and make more focus on netrunner skills, and use a bit more than INT+Interface for everything while keeping in touch with original rules and make sourcebooks usable.

Relevant Human Stats:
Intelligence (INT)
Technical (TEC)

Relevant Deck Stats:
Firewall
STR of programs

Relevant Skills:
Interface
Electronic Security
System Knowledge

Special Skills (optional):
Program: Distribute Program points as extra STR for programs. Máx STR 1,5 original STR up to 10 STR. Each time the program is used and a 1 is rolled, loses 1 of these extra points up to his original STR. 8 hrs of work per point. That simulates some code modding to make existing programs fit your needs.

CyberDeck Design: Distribute half the skill points as upgrades to deck stats. Each time a 1 is rolled when using one of these stats one point is lost up to his original value. Points allocated to MU are not lost rolling 1's, but if any program attacks deck's MU, these extra points are the first lost. 8 hrs of work per point. That simulates the amount of work and "love" a runner put on his personal gear.

List of actions [Limit] - Limit is a concept stripped from Shadowrun 5th edition. While you may be a top runner is your gear what would limit the effects of what you can achieve, so STR of programs is the limit on most net actions:

- Tracing: TEC+System Knowledge.[STR]
- Trace defense: INT+System Knowledge[Firewall]
- Trace value: Firewall+LDL Trace value or Firewall + SystemKnowledge + INT (+1D10 on both)

LDL Jump: INT or TEC+1D10 vs 10+Security Level. On a fail the tracing protocols start running.

Trace procedure: Each trace attempt is a roll of Tracing vs Trace defense, the difference on the roll is substracted from the Trace value [up to trace program STR].

Tracing protocols: As soon as an offensive action is made on the Net, tracing protocols activate. Each time a runner fails a roll vs a system the difference with de difficulty in points of trace value are lost. Trace attempts dont consume actions. Additionally 1D10 trace value is lost each minute.

- Intrusion: INT+Electronic Sec+STR.[STR]
- Detection: TEC+Electronic Sec+STR.[STR]
- AntiSystem: TEC+Interface+STR.[STR]
- AntiPersonal: INT+Interface+STR.[STR]
- Anti-ICE: TEC+Interface+STR.[STR]
- Defense: (INT or TEC) + DataWall + STR

Damage: Difference between Attack and Defense Roll [STR]. If the damage affects a runner's stats, this difference is the amount of stat lost, if it causes general biofeedback damage (wound boxes) the amount is 2 boxes per point of difference with BTM (minimum 1 point) and stun check.

Program integrity (Hit Points): STR. Damaged programs runs at his current reduced STR.

I always wondered why the hell you would waste 1 to 5 points to make an icon of any quality if it had no real game impact rather than style and flavor so the next rule is inspired by this.

Hidden programs/icons: To make relevant the usage of icon level of detail, the most detailed the icon is, the more difficult is to see it at a glance within the enviroment. Usually ICE is hidden in the structure of the datafortress, so it may look like a piece of decoration while it hides a program.

There are 2 factors to consider to get de difficult. First the level of detail of DataFortress, the second is the level of detail of the icon. We consider that the icon has his quality in relation of his surrounding, so a Superrealistic icon on a Contextual Datafortress means that this icon fits perfectly in the enviroment and is hard to spot. The designer can decide to make the icon obvious.

Edit: The roll for noticing a hidden icon would be Awareness/Notice, as is something you are perceiving with your "sight", but Interface could provide a bonus (as combat sense for solos) of about 1/2 Interface skill. A program like SeeYa would reveal hidden icons as said on the program description. I always thought of this like when you are on a video game, one of those old adventures like monkey island, and you notice that something highlights over the general screen.

DataFortress detail level
Simpe: 10
Contextual: 12
Fractal: 14
Photorealistic: 16
Superrealistic: 18

Icon detail level
No icon: -3
Simpe: +0
Contextual: +2
Fractal: +4
Photorealistic: +6
Superrealistic: +8

Data Fortress stats:
INT(Power) = 3 + CPUs (7 máx) (4-10) - can be upgraded up to +10 (14 - 20)
DataWall = 3 + CPUs (7 máx) (4-10) - can be upgraded up to +10 (14 - 20)
Speed = (3 + CPUs (7 máx))/2 (2 - 5) - can be upgraded up to +5 (7 - 10)
Actions = 1 + (1/2 CPU) (1 - 4)
MU = 40*CPUs (40 - 280) - can be upgraded up to x10 (80 - 2800)
System integrity (Hit Points) = INT(Power) + Datawalls

Deck stats:
INT(Power) = 0 can be upgraded up to 3 (1 -3)
DataWall = 2 - can be upgraded up to +8 (2 - 10)
Speed = 0 - can be upgraded up to +5 (1 - 5)
MU = 10 can be upgraded up to +20 (11 - 30)
System integrity (Hit Points) = INT(Power) + Datawalls

Datawalls: Several layers of DW can be set, each one doubles the cost. Only the highest DW is used, but if one is damaged you can use the higher value of all DW set. Datafortress can set up to 5 layers of DW while Decks only 2.

Last edited:
Interesting idea. I like the appearance of icons thing. Seems a little book-keep heavy, but that is netrunning.

Still need a system that fluidly combines Runners with other party members and does't exclude out Runs...or makes them really fast, anyway.

Good point on the icons as Sard said.
And I also have to agree any netrunning system needs to be fairly "fast" because invariably most of your players are twiddling their thumbs while one is in cyberspace.

Im using this system for play-by-post game, so speed is not really on my mind when designing the system, but if you can give ideas to provide speed to this system so is more usable on table game, go ahead.

I think the best system to include netrunners along other team members is using the Shadowrun aproach of wireless uprise and need to be on-spot to hack more on Augmented Reality while ocasionally going full VR, so another system for quick-hacks could be added, the VR system would be always a barrier between runners.

It seems like a very fleshed system, this could bring some fresh air to the Netrunning. Once you have tried with your group let us know your impressions.

I don't know if it is netrunner on the brain for some of us, but I created a web page navigation utility for the world and regional map out on my site.
http://cybersmily.net/apps/nrtrace.htm
You can navigate from world to region maps as well as keep track of the trace when hacking a LDL. I had this idea for awhile now and just had some spare time to get it done. Using it to teach myself a couple of the javascript frameworks that are floating around.
It still needs some work. It has a few bugs I still need to sort out on a few of the LDLs. The Orbitville map still needs to be completed. Don't know if I will have the
time to create the city maps, but who knows.
Enjoy!

Damn it! I went to Stockholm and the Weasels tried to bust me on the spot! Now they're patrolling the whole area!

Damn! You bombed my post in an amazing way! But you should post it on a different Thread because it deserves its own discussion

IT ROCKS! I was working on something similar, you have a pretty cool work in there.

I tried it on Chrome and looks weird, but in Internet Explorer runs fine.

Edit: Something must have gone wrong the first time, I tried again on chrome and its ok

Top Bottom