Netrunning in 2.0/Being Traced

+
I mean, some are complaining about netrunning not being as easy as before while being at a very low level. Of course, if you're anywhere below level 20 or something, you shouldn't expect to be an expert netrunner. It wouldn't make any sense. Beginner netrunner who haven't put a lot of points and perks in intelligence SHOULD be easy to trace. They're beginners.
Except that's not the case for any other build, you do not need to get to level 30 to be an effective solo or headhunter. Yes there should be limitations but the effectiveness of the skills should be low, not removed altogether. Stealth is a class all of it's own, if you're discovered that's it. You can't approach levelling in the same manner as the rest otherwise it defeats the purpose of playing stealth if at early levels you end up in a gun fight and you won't get the skill progression for that build. You mostly end up getting solo xp or headhunter when that's not your aim.

Except that's not the case for any other build, you do not need to get to level 30 to be an effective solo or headhunter. Yes there should be limitations but the effectiveness of the skills should be low, not removed altogether. Stealth is a class all of it's own, if you're discovered that's it. You can't approach levelling in the same manner as the rest otherwise it defeats the purpose of playing stealth if at early levels you end up in a gun fight and you won't get the skill progression for that build. You mostly end up getting solo xp or headhunter when that's not your aim.
That's pretty much what is happening to me, a lot of 'headhunter' XP. My goal right now is to get to tier 2 and see how that changes things.

I've been playing stealth since the beginning of the game and haven't had a problem. I'm level 30 netrunning already, and level 2 in Solo and level 7 in headhunter. BTW, if it's really bothering you, if you get far enough from the enemies, the trace fails. I've killed entire camps during a gig even at level 5 or 6 using only netrunning by moving around and making sure I couldn't be traced.

I have to be honest, I haven't really experimented with a lot of other builds. However, as someone who puts every point in intelligence and technical ability, and has basically no points in body, the fist fights are incredibly hard. When I messed around with builds, those fights became very easy when you max out the body skill. So yes, I do think other builds work in a similar way. Also, having low technical ability locks you out of many paths when doing missions and gigs, which is actually the main reason I invest in the skill.

I really don't like the being traced while quick hacking system. If you kill the person you're quick hacking the trace should stop. It makes the game pretty much impossible to play as a stealthy Netrunner.

If you're in a building with say 10 people and you quick hack and kill one enemy in a room it should stop the tracing so the whole building isn't alerted. The way the game is right now you might as well not do any Netrunning and just spec into guns and health and always go in guns blazing because that's what it turns into eventually anyway.

Sure, maybe Netrunning was OP originally but 1. It's a single player RPG so really, who cares? 2. A huge draw to CP is Netrunning. It's one of the main things that separates it from other RPG's. But it's now just about pointless. and 3. It honestly just makes the game un-fun.. I was excited to jump back into the 2.0 update but I think I may put the game down and see if the tracing gets removed. It sucks because I actually loved the game on release. It had it's issues but I still enjoyed it. Now I'm just like... Bleh. The build I was going into just simply isn't fun or doable. You can't go into an area as a Netrunner and play stealthy. It's literally impossible.

So as a TLDR: I hope they remove tracing from quick hacks or at least make it so if the person you are quick hacking dies, the tracing stops.
Okay number one it's fair I mean wouldn't you notice if you were being hacked? Number two there are several tier 3 covert hacks that can make a target not trace you or tell his buddy's or remove the trace and they're are cyberware and a perk to make quickhacks harder to trace. That and you can run away and break the trace and come back. So it's fair. Before you could hide behind a dumpster and kill everything. It wasn't hard or interesting it was brain dead gameplay. This is better you must think now. Also teir 3 sonic shock makes a target not be able to trace you for a while. Look at the hacks carefully use them together with throwing knives and have some fun.

Okay number one it's fair I mean wouldn't you notice if you were being hacked? Number two there are several tier 3 covert hacks that can make a target not trace you or tell his buddy's or remove the trace and they're are cyberware and a perk to make quickhacks harder to trace. That and you can run away and break the trace and come back. So it's fair. Before you could hide behind a dumpster and kill everything. It wasn't hard or interesting it was brain dead gameplay. This is better you must think now. Also teir 3 sonic shock makes a target not be able to trace you for a while. Look at the hacks carefully use them together with throwing knives and have some fun.
If I had read this when I was starting out with my new character or tier 1, I may have argued the point. I was highly irritated that I was being tracked when there was no net-runner on site. OK, so I had to adapt. I'm now at tier 3. I play a male character and he wears nothing but a pair of shorts, that's it, which brings up the topic of many players complaining about 'bring back the armor'. I have never depended on armor even when this game first came out. I enjoy using stealth, relying on my skills, not armor. I usually play on 'hard', but backed down to 'easy' until I got the hang of this new system.

My point to this is, you're correct in that a player has to learn to play differently and learn how to use some strategy instead of running in with a full kit of armor, guns blazing or swords swinging. Using some strategy even fully armored makes sense. So, what have I learned since I was at tier 1? Here are a few tips.

1: Use 'ping' to locate everyone, and if there is a net-runner on site, you should see them (high-lighted), remember where he/she is.

2: Cameras are not your friend: At lower character level (tier 1) You cannot 'turn off' a camera, it will turn back on eventually. OK, so USE them, take control and take a good look at the area to find out where the bad guys are located. But don't take anyone out using a camera, you will start the tracking process. After that, as you progress, take out the cameras as you go, I use a pistol with a silencer.

3: Try to keep moving. Take out targets as you go, use what skills you have on hand, but try to keep moving as you go and stay under cover. At tier 1, you have limited skills at hand, but you will be to acquire more as you move up (tier2, etc). Use weapons that work well for you, I started with a pistol, rifle, or sniper rifle, and katakana or sword. I am usually 'crouched' as I go. I tend to use my pistol more than anything. You can use 'knives' if your good at it, I am not which brings up the point...know what you are good at.

I will add that in 2.0, they added a variety of 'footstep' sounds now. As my tag suggests, my character is always barefoot, and helps a lot in playing stealth, you hardly hear any footsteps. I also tried this with shoes and it is very quiet unlike before where you heard loud footsteps. It really does help with the feeling of being stealthy, so a big shout out to the folks at CDPR for this.

Side Note: I am also learning how to use a controller on my PC instead of the keyboard. What ever you do, don't 'accidentally' drop a grenade in an elevator...there is no where to go and it didn't end well. Just sayin...

OK, enough, but I have to agree with you, learn how to adapt. There are many other things I have learned and how to play differently. It does make for a good challenge and you feel like you accomplished something.

If I had read this when I was starting out with my new character or tier 1, I may have argued the point. I was highly irritated that I was being tracked when there was no net-runner on site. OK, so I had to adapt. I'm now at tier 3. I play a male character and he wears nothing but a pair of shorts, that's it, which brings up the topic of many players complaining about 'bring back the armor'. I have never depended on armor even when this game first came out. I enjoy using stealth, relying on my skills, not armor. I usually play on 'hard', but backed down to 'easy' until I got the hang of this new system.

My point to this is, you're correct in that a player has to learn to play differently and learn how to use some strategy instead of running in with a full kit of armor, guns blazing or swords swinging. Using some strategy even fully armored makes sense. So, what have I learned since I was at tier 1? Here are a few tips.

1: Use 'ping' to locate everyone, and if there is a net-runner on site, you should see them (high-lighted), remember where he/she is.

2: Cameras are not your friend: At lower character level (tier 1) You cannot 'turn off' a camera, it will turn back on eventually. OK, so USE them, take control and take a good look at the area to find out where the bad guys are located. But don't take anyone out using a camera, you will start the tracking process. After that, as you progress, take out the cameras as you go, I use a pistol with a silencer.

3: Try to keep moving. Take out targets as you go, use what skills you have on hand, but try to keep moving as you go and stay under cover. At tier 1, you have limited skills at hand, but you will be to acquire more as you move up (tier2, etc). Use weapons that work well for you, I started with a pistol, rifle, or sniper rifle, and katakana or sword. I am usually 'crouched' as I go. I tend to use my pistol more than anything. You can use 'knives' if your good at it, I am not which brings up the point...know what you are good at.

I will add that in 2.0, they added a variety of 'footstep' sounds now. As my tag suggests, my character is always barefoot, and helps a lot in playing stealth, you hardly hear any footsteps. I also tried this with shoes and it is very quiet unlike before where you heard loud footsteps. It really does help with the feeling of being stealthy, so a big shout out to the folks at CDPR for this.

Side Note: I am also learning how to use a controller on my PC instead of the keyboard. What ever you do, don't 'accidentally' drop a grenade in an elevator...there is no where to go and it didn't end well. Just sayin...

OK, enough, but I have to agree with you, learn how to adapt. There are many other things I have learned and how to play differently. It does make for a good challenge and you feel like you accomplished something.
You can also invest in lynx paws cyberware for your legs makes you silent as the grave. Also your quickhack components you get from hacking terminals make quickhacks in crafting menu now and you can make some serious money this way. Just a tip. The more stealth cyberware and stealth cool perks the better you will get at this. It's fun to hit them with a level 3 sonic shock followed by a overheat and then a knife. Remember there is cyberware that can make cameras take longer to spot you optics and cyberware that can help with headshots and stealth damage and ram recovery.

Also there's a peice of cyberware that can let your quickhacks hit criticals. This is very good.
Post automatically merged:

Ahhhh..a pro, love it. Thanks for the tip!
No problem remember you want to spec into cool intelligence and technical to be a good stealth netrunner. Unless you want to use blades or smgs in reflexes but they are pretty weak early game especially. The blades aren't but I'm not sure if katanas can be used for stealth I haven't played this way yet.

Don't neglect reflexes for air dash later on and reflexes boosts you critical chance cool boosts your critical damage. So.... yeah...

I'm level 44 and my cool is 20 already. So yeah cool and reflexes are important for critical builds of any kind.

Last edited:
[...]
You have to think of enemies as computers connected to the same WIFI network. If you hack someone's wifi and severely limit download speeds, for example, then every computer on the network will notice. Even if you only input a virus that affects a single computer, others on the network would be able to see there was an intruder. Assuming every PC user on the network is technologically literate, they would all try to find the intruder and kick him out.
Yeah, unless it's a really, really, really badly written virus, that's not how it works. Before I started writing for video games I did a lot with computers and networks. 99% of computer viruses are virtually undetectable by networks. It's only detected by antivirus software much later. Even the most quick acting, highly damaging, "burn it all down" type viruses are almost impossible to detect as they are getting installed. by the time the virus finishes installing and starts up, the hacker is already out of system.

Same with most intrusion software. Most of it is designed to be untraceable and very hard to detect.
It's just not very realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom