Let's talk about national foods & drinks

+
View attachment 8681

I don't know english name for this fish, but we call it "ukljeva"...
And Ukljeva is translation of Geralt's horse name :)
Crvenperka is also used as translation, which is our version of polish Płotka, I guess:

View attachment 8682

Attachments

• ukljeva.jpg
    ukljeva.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 109
  • plotka.jpg
    plotka.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Can´t say we have truly national food here... it´s more like dishes adapted from other cultures to our own taste.
Also, different regions in Argentina have different typical dishes you can usually find there.

That said, here are some of those typical dishes:

Locro. A kind of stew with corn, beans, potatoes, and meat (usually some beef, some pork meat, chorizo, etc).

Empanadas. Many countries have their own version, I know. Argentine empanadas typically are stuffed with meat not minced but cut with a knife, for them to be quite juicy. They also can be quite spicy.

Probably the most typical food here would be the "asado" (different kinds of grilled meat prepared simultaneously in usually the same grill). It´s quite common to prepare an asado for family or friends reunions.

Dulce de leche. Typical sweet paste used to fill cakes or as a side for desserts.

And, of course...

Mate, our super typical national drink.

Yes, it is...Especially when it's smoked...
Bleak, you say? Not a bad name for a horse ;)

Yeah, they didn't even try for the Bulgarian translation, just called the horse Plotka (Плотка), even though that has no meaning in Bulgarian.

Anyway, here's the big brother of the guveche I talked about earlier - turlu guvech, which is just a huge, delicious mix of meat and veggies:

Ok, here my favourite German dishes. Probably forgot plenty though:
Maischolle
Kohlrouladen
Labskaus
Potato Salad with Frikadellen

Hühnerfrikassee with Pastete
Bread and Aufschnitt

And cheese of course, though many types are of international origins
And finally chocolate (German speaking countries)
And for christmas
Gänsebraten

Stollen

Vanilekipferl

My favorite cuisine is Italian and Indian, but my relatives are all Scandi and there's a few recipes I grew up with.

http://www.copenhagenet.dk/cph-eating.htm

My dad fished all the time so we had pickled trout most of the year. We'd eat it with sharp cheddar cheese and mayonnaise on Rye. Also lots of venison and elk roasts as well as wild birds like pheasants and geese. Caramel dumplings and plumb pudding were regular deserts for the holidays. My Danish grandmother was obsessed with getting the perfect plumb pudding, and she'd prep for a week ahead to let the ingredients soak in mead.

I haven't had the healthiest of diets.

Very hard to chose.
Well, today 3 ways of taste coldfish.

I don't translate the names because the 2 first have no avialable translation

You know I can't resist a challenge like that.

"Empedrat", literally, "stoned", or "pounded". Bacallà, salt cod, needs a little tenderizing. Involving, say, a hand-sized rock.

"Xató", you got me, I can't translate it. I think it's a local name for the sauce that's more widely known as "romesco".

Anyway, my favorite Spanish dish is a madrileño one, Judías a lo Tío Lucas.

[Carracci, Mangiafagioli]

Last edited:
Top Bottom