Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realized yesterday, that I still have no idea, when to thank for a post and when to give a red point. I always use both. What is the difference?

There's no strict rule on how to use them, it depends on you. The difference is that Thanks stay on the post you 'thanked for' only, while the number of REDpoints you have is also displayed under your avatar. It's mostly a system that allows you to indicate that you like/agree with something in an easy way.

Advice wanted.

The last couple of days I have been pondering about something and I thought, why not ask some help with fellow witcher fans (though it has nothing to do with the witcher). I have to much free time which I waste and want to learn another language. Now after some research I have come with two languages wich I can't decide between. Therefore I hope someone of you has some valuable input to help me. The two languages are Chinese and Japanese.

Why those two? Because one; I was always very much interested in the asiatic culture and two; they both have great economies and you never know if learing it will be useful someday.
Now ofcourse I already did some very broad research and an occurring theme seems to be this: China has surpassed the Japanese economy in the last few years and is still growing while the Japanese economy has been staying even (some sources even say shrinking). Therefore, from an economic perspective, Chinese would be the safer bet.
But, if you will look at a specific part of the economy, namly the technology industry, japan is still ahead of China. Some other things to also take into consideration are the ability of them to speak English. Appearently at Chinese universities you are required to speak at least some English if you want to pass and more Chinese people just speak English.

I'm throwing this question on a couple forums hoping someone has first hand experience. :D

The last couple of days I have been pondering about something and I thought, why not ask some help with fellow witcher fans (though it has nothing to do with the witcher). I have to much free time which I waste and want to learn another language. Now after some research I have come with two languages wich I can't decide between. Therefore I hope someone of you has some valuable input to help me. The two languages are Chinese and Japanese.

Why those two? Because one; I was always very much interested in the asiatic culture and two; they both have great economies and you never know if learing it will be useful someday.
Now ofcourse I already did some very broad research and an occurring theme seems to be this: China has surpassed the Japanese economy in the last few years and is still growing while the Japanese economy has been staying even (some sources even say shrinking). Therefore, from an economic perspective, Chinese would be the safer bet.
But, if you will look at a specific part of the economy, namly the technology industry, japan is still ahead of China. Some other things to also take into consideration are the ability of them to speak English. Appearently at Chinese universities you are required to speak at least some English if you want to pass and more Chinese people just speak English.

I'm throwing this question on a couple forums hoping someone has first hand experience. :D

If I recall correctly @Princess_Ciri is currently studying Japanese so she might be of some help. I think both could come in handy depending on what direction you want to go or how you want to utilize it.

@Rhovanor I have no personal experience, so can't help you there, but I've heard that Chinese is incredibly difficult to learn, let alone master, and that Japanese is easier (if that has any weight in your decision).

@randyrhoads Happy forum birthday!

Turns out I've got something like second hand experience - my sister is studying Chinese for like four years now, and stayed two or three times in China (studying and living in a family because doing aupair jobs). She says it's not that difficult once you've mastered the different tones, because there's simply no grammar in this language.
Problem is, you have to learn the signs, and how to write and speak them, sign for sign, and there is a lot of them.
For Japanese, I don't have a clue ;)

I'm studying Japanese as a degree and I've also spent time studying Chinese too... so I can give you some help if you have any questions. My question to you, which may help you decide which language to choose, is what do you see yourself getting from either language? Chinese and still, Japanese, are both useful languages for entering business, finance and those sort of sectors, as companies love hiring people that have language knowledge and cultural experience in business situations.

Despite the Japanese economy shrinking, the demand for Japanese speakers is pretty big, not to mention that being able to speak a difficult language like Japanese or Chinese and English will mean that you can pretty much apply for any job and people will consider you and sometimes even if you're not qualified they'll pay to qualify you so they can hire you afterwards lol.

So I wouldn't worry too much about the economies, I'd worry about what you want to do with the languages. If it's just a hobby then I'd recommend you try both, as they're quite complimentary languages. However if you only want to do one, Japanese has an easier learning curve to begin with, but once you hit intermediate it starts becoming quite difficult. Chinese on the other hand starts difficult but I don't think the grammar or politeness levels are as complicated as with Japanese.

Hope that helped... and wasn't just me rambling lol

I defeated them all in a duel to the death and now I have ascended to my rightful place as Queen of the Hairy Bear. Maybe I should change my username to Queen_Ciri....

I was wondering why there was the distinct smell of blood when I came in. :hrhr:

---------- Updated at 09:07 PM ----------

Nice try. Everyone knows I'm the Queen of the Hairy Bear.

What, you're a cross-dresser? I didn't know that! I knew you were a campy sort, but I didn't think you were THAT campy! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom