Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew Marcin would convince them! OK, pass along the message... they can release it now.

Thanks, @wichat.571! (what happened to your username, btw?)

Good to see the cursed invading intellectuals were defeated by the strength of your madness. We don´t need any sanity here in the Bear, do we?

Welcome Back...during the merge of the accounts with the GOG, the name changes to some people...you'll notice some strange stuff during your time here.
Some names have even died, and may not come back...

But it is in the past now, how was the wedding and the honeymoon?

Last edited:
flowing style... It's you?

It seems I am late as always... oh well, happy birthday @Marcin Momot :sorcerer:

Oh no, wait, that smiley is called "sorcerer"... Here's the correct one. :fun: Have a nice day!

[SUB]I'm so fff funny, dammit.[/SUB]

Now, let´s continue.
Hey, everyone! Here I am, back from my honeymoon! I had a blast, both during my wedding party and during the honeymoon!
I´m going to post some pictures in the pics thread later on, for you to feast your eyes on!

So, how´s everything been around here? I saw that a new "downgrade" BS thread is raging on currently (which is no surprise for me at all...). But I´m more interested about the Bear, actually. Any news?
Welcome back gedierond, I hope all went well with your honeymoon! Now go and fulfill your "husband" duties!
Jokes apart, we want to see the pics!

@Dragonbird

I like your cultural segments. You should do more.

Somebody described durian this way:

"its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock"

Sounds delicious. But I don't like onions so I'll pass. This must be what Pharod's bronze sphere smelled like.

"its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock"

I don't think I'd agree with that description - I had quite a few relatives who kept livestock when I was a kid, and pig farms/shit isn't really a similar smell.
I do think that people get different impressions from durian though. To me, the smell is mainly like bad drains, with a hint of garlic. The taste is divine though, it's like a good camembert in that the taste in no way resembles the smell. And it doesn't taste like fruit, more like a cooked dessert - smooth and creamy.

Durian-flavoured food though, that's different. You get durian candy, ice-cream, cakes. There's definitely a hint of that garlic flavour in all of them.

PS: By "bad drains", the kind that have old standing water and a lot of rotting vegetation. Or a blocked kitchen sink. Not sewage.

Last edited:
So yeah, I'm still looking for a Russian speaker to help me translate a super duper secret project.

It's kind of urgent. :)

I don't think I'd agree with that description - I had quite a few relatives who kept livestock when I was a kid, and pig farms/shit isn't really a similar smell.
I do think that people get different impressions from durian though. To me, the smell is mainly like bad drains, with a hint of garlic. The taste is divine though, it's like a good camembert in that the taste in no way resembles the smell. And it doesn't taste like fruit, more like a cooked dessert - smooth and creamy.

Durian-flavoured food though, that's different. You get durian candy, ice-cream, cakes. There's definitely a hint of that garlic flavour in all of them.

PS: By "bad drains", the kind that have old standing water and a lot of rotting vegetation. Or a blocked kitchen sink. Not sewage.

Yeah the description I posted probably comes from a durian hater. Others described it as a rich custard, heavily flavored with almonds. And hints of cream cheese. That's why I thought of the bronze sphere, supposed to smell like rotten custard and make the eyes water.

Balut eggs, durian, what else is part of a breakfast of champions over there?

Balut eggs, durian, what else is part of a breakfast of champions over there?

Actually, I don't know ANYONE here who likes durian apart from me. It's grown here, in the southern islands, but it's not a big thing. I've no idea who buys it, and the quality isn't as good as Malaysia or Thailand, so I don't think it's grown for export. I learned to love it in Singapore, where people go crazy over it.

Actually, I don't know ANYONE here who likes durian apart from me. It's grown here, in the southern islands, but it's not a big thing. I've no idea who buys it, and the quality isn't as good as Malaysia or Thailand, so I don't think it's grown for export. I learned to love it in Singapore, where people go crazy over it.

I see. You're the crazy foreigner who eats all the local food nobody actually likes.

I've heard that you have to get habituated (desensitized?) to the, uh, bouquet, then it's delicious.

I've heard that you have to get habituated (desensitized?) to the, uh, bouquet, then it's delicious.

At that level, the equivalent really is a smelly cheese like a ripe Brie or Camembert. I can still smell durian, it still smells like bad drains, but as I know the taste is different, I simply ignore it.

---------- Updated at 01:19 AM ----------

I see. You're the crazy foreigner who eats all the local food nobody actually likes.

Naw, not really. As I don't think of durian as being Philippine food, the only local food I tend to like is roast chicken and the various wonderful things they can do with pigs. And the locals eat that sort of food every day too.
And there's no way I would EVER eat a balut egg. The thought makes me want to throw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom