Non-native resolution in fullscreen just makes the game use a smaller portion of the screen

+
Non-native resolution in fullscreen just makes the game use a smaller portion of the screen

I have a screen with 2560x1600 native resolution. My system is Windows 8, Core i7-5820K 3.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, SLI 2 x GeForce GTX 970.

I run the game set to Fullscreen, not Borderless Window. If I use any other resolution than the native 2560x1600, say 1920x1200, instead of actually changing the resolution, the game seems to use the native resolution, but it only draws a 1920x1200 game window in the center of the screen, leaving huge black borders around it.

I've seen no other game do this before, so I don't think it's because of my graphics driver settings or anything.

So, patch 1.04 is out but this still doesn't work. Am I really the only one with this problem?

Same here. Native 4K (3840x2160), trying to run in 1920x1080 and got small screen in the middle with huge black borders around. This only happens in Witcher 3.

There are some settings in video drivers that can cause this, but maybe not for every game. Also the display can also have scaling options.
If nVidia videocard, open Nvidia control panel and check in "Adjust desktop size and position" section - maybe it is set to "no scaling", then you should change it or select that your display would perform the scaling.
Also you could try setting it to "Fullscreen" or "Aspect ratio" and checking "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" option.

I have a screen with 2560x1600 native resolution. My system is Windows 8, Core i7-5820K 3.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, SLI 2 x GeForce GTX 970.

I run the game set to Fullscreen, not Borderless Window. If I use any other resolution than the native 2560x1600, say 1920x1200, instead of actually changing the resolution, the game seems to use the native resolution, but it only draws a 1920x1200 game window in the center of the screen, leaving huge black borders around it.

I've seen no other game do this before, so I don't think it's because of my graphics driver settings or anything.

First off, I have the same rig as you but with dual 980s, the game will run perfect with your rig at native resolution 60FPS EVERYWHERE by turning foliage distance to high, AA off, hairworks off, rest at ULTRA.

Buying a high-res monitor and running a game below the native resolution is the worst thing you can do for your visual fidelity. Your not as bad as some of these peasants with 4K monitors and crap rigs but still, be careful when upgrading your resolution on a tight budget.

windowed mode means running an application in a WINDOW.
when you enter resolution X and Y the WINDOW will be scaled to these pixels.

this has nothing to do with your desktop resolution and your monitor.

if your monitor is 1920x1080 and you set the window size (borderless or not) to 960x540 it will be a quarter of the screen.

if you want a real 960x540 resolution as fullscreen on your monitor, your monitor would have to support that resolution and you should either change your desktop resolution to that value and play borderless windowed or play fullscreen with that resolution set in the user settings file.

if you want to UPSCALE a WINDOW to a custom fullscreen desktop resolution you need some third party apps for this.

some apps allow you to MAXIMIZE the WINDOW, this game doesn't.

some other games have different values for RENDER and DISPLAY resolution, this game does not support that.

simplest solution would be to set your desktop resolution to 1920x1080 instead of UHD and enter that value in the user.settings file, then set the fullscreen value to 1 (borderless windowed mode) and play.

if your UHD Display does NOT support Full HD Resolutions 1920x1080 (i can't really believe it wouldn't) get a different display ;) or better hardware.

i know some TVs that only display FULL HD but can upscale lower resolutions fed by HDMI.

did you try HDMI for your display or only DVI ?

Last edited:
@digitalray

sorry but the OP already said that he runs in fullscreen. But the game refuse to do that (still showing black border).

btw i also got the same problem. Only 1080p, 900p, and 768p that showed as FULLSCREEN on my TV. Other resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio showed with ugly black borders. Other games works fine.

The same problem started happening recently. This problem did not exist before so it could be related with Crimson.

Top Bottom