The General Videogame Thread

+
@RitaLaux-Antille I think most people on the Paradox forums would agree that CK2 is the easiest of Paradox's grand-strategy games. It's still hard to learn how to play, but once you've learned it's really simple. Almost boring even. Like I said, there is a pretty good demo. If you're at all interested I'd download that.

@Alan989 THAT is the classic dilemma of grand-strategy games. I own both EU4 and CK2 and I've never played a full game of EU4 even though I own multiple DLCs for it. Whereas with CK2 I jumped right in and played a 400 year campaign... in Ironman Mode no less (only one save file). As you can imagine, I learned pretty fast. I think CK2's RPG elements helped suck me in.

---------- Updated at 07:36 PM ----------

One other thing. Paradox Wikis are your friend. They're supported by the devs, so all the information is up-to-date.
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Crusader_Kings_II_Wiki

Last edited:
@RitaLaux-Antille I think most people on the Paradox forums would agree that CK2 is the easiest of Paradox's grand-strategy games. It's still hard to learn how to play, but once you've learned it's really simple. Almost boring even. Like I said, there is a pretty good demo. If you're at all interested I'd download that.

@Alan989 THAT is the classic dilemma of grand-strategy games. I own both EU4 and CK2 and I've never played a full game of EU4 even though I own multiple DLCs for it. Whereas with CK2 I jumped right in and played a 400 year campaign... in Ironman Mode no less (only one save file). As you can imagine, I learned pretty fast. I think CK2's RPG elements helped suck me in.

---------- Updated at 07:36 PM ----------

One other thing. Paradox Wikis are your friend. They're supported by the devs, so all the information is up-to-date.
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Crusader_Kings_II_Wiki

You probably just have more patience mate, not everyone is like that.

Soon.

Does anyone know why they took 'Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood Of Steel' out of the Fallout collection on Steam?
Was the copyright still owned by someone at Interplay or something?

Anyway I wasn't a fan of Tactics or BoS, but it would be nice to have that completed collection.

So I have been hearing that Marcin Momot plays NBA 2K16, what team do you run with in head to head?

Do you know anywhere a scrubby European can watch NBA league seasons?
What time of year does it normally occur anyway? Or is it like football (Soccer) and goes nearly all year round?

Last edited:

Soon.

Does anyone know why they took 'Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood Of Steel' out of the Fallout collection on Steam?
Was the copyright still owned by someone at Interplay or something?

Anyway I wasn't a fan of Tactics or BoS, but it would be nice to have that completed collection.

Do you know anywhere a scrubby European can watch NBA league seasons? - What time of year does it normally occur anyway?
Or is it like football (Soccer) and goes nearly all year round?

Season starts October 28th and pre-season starts in a few days. Season is from October-June and in February there is an All Star game where all the best players in the league play with and against each other.

I watch mine on TNT and ESPN but for you in the UK I heard they got something called BT Sport/ESPN and you can watch games on there.

Undertale is outstanding, by the way, I've been playing it since I got back from Uni today, it's like Earthbound ( personally prefer this over Earthbound).

It's quite pleasant and fun, and there is no real combat, which I know for some may be a put-off but I personally really like that aspect.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/

Season starts October 28th and pre-season starts in a few days. Season is from October-June and in February there is an All Star game where all the best players in the league play with and against each other.

Cool - I will look into it and see if I can catch a few games.

I watch mine on TNT and ESPN but for you in the UK I heard they got something called BT Sport/ESPN and you can watch games on there.

Hmm. I don't own a TV and I don't have BT as my ISP, Might try using a proxy totally legit method to watch it on some US website like with Netflix, do you know any websites that stream it all?

Last edited:

Undertale is outstanding, by the way, I've been playing it since I got back from Uni today, it's like Earthbound ( personally prefer this over Earthbound).

It's quite pleasant and fun, and there is no real combat, which I know for some may be a put-off but I personally really like that aspect.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/

Cool - I will look into it and see if I can catch a few games.

Hmm. I don't own a TV and I don't have BT as my ISP, Might try using a proxy totally legit method to watch it on some US website like with Netflix, do you know any websites that stream it all?

Dont know any streaming websites but there is something called a league pass which costs like $30 a month dunno what that is in Euros or Pounds but you can watch games anywhere whether it's PC/Phone/Ipad if you have the league pass.

Well. I kinda fell in love with the R6 Siege. Today I tried the Terrorist Hunt mode and it is a blast, so addictive. Actually I better like the TH than the actual PVP, but in PVP I need much more training. I must admit that the AI currently is dumb as hell and I hope that they can fix it.
I don't know what to think about that there won't be SP campign. To be honest I don't even have an idea how I imagine a modern R6 SP title.

Update:
I would like to ask you that there is a chance make the R3 Rouge Spear work on Win10? Or which older title suggest me to play? I mean the classic ones, not the Vegas, which I like, but not what I searching right now. I have the Raven Shield on my shelf, and I plan to buy a Rouge Spear used Big Box copy, or even a Platinum Pack edition, don't know yet.

Last edited:
Paradox is having a steam sale. Anyone having any recommendations? I've heard good things about Sword in the Stars...

Well, if you're into hardcore Grand Strategy just pick your favorite playstyle and/or time period and go get the corresponding game - Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Victoria 2, Hearts of Iron 3.

King Arthur is a less hardcore strategy-RPG blend. It's basically Total War with a story, quests and mythological stuff. Lacks a bit of polish, at least the first one (never played the second), but is still pretty good.

Magicka is fun if you have a bunch of people for coop.

Well, if you're into hardcore Grand Strategy just pick your favorite playstyle and/or time period and go get the corresponding game - Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Victoria 2, Hearts of Iron 3.

King Arthur is a less hardcore strategy-RPG blend. It's basically Total War with a story, quests and mythological stuff. Lacks a bit of polish, at least the first one (never played the second), but is still pretty good.

Magicka is fun if you have a bunch of people for coop.

Its been asked a million times but just what is up with the absurd amount of CK2 dlc? Just how much content am I missing out on? Is the biggest difference between Europa IV and CK2 the focus on kingdoms vs people? The closest thing to grand strategy I've played is Civ V...so basically no expirience here :p

Microsoft just bought Havok. Not good news for developers. I hope it will now prompt more investment in Bullet.

Well shit. Terrible news.

Can't be worse than the previous Intel ownership. Maybe MS will actually DO something with Havok (i.e. push it's development, for example GPU-acceleration and the like). The licensing is untouched by the change in management, therefore nothing changes for developers. Could of course be different in the future, but that remains to be seen.

Its been asked a million times but just what is up with the absurd amount of CK2 dlc? Just how much content am I missing out on? Is the biggest difference between Europa IV and CK2 the focus on kingdoms vs people? The closest thing to grand strategy I've played is Civ V...so basically no expirience here :p
CK2 DLC differs. Some of it is just flavor stuff like new ruler portraits, background music etc. Some of it adds new cultures or extends the timeline (like the Old Gods or Charlemagne which add new, earlier starting dates for the Viking and Frankish Eras) or otherwise adds new features. The general consensus is that only the big expansions are worth getting and other stuff you can get selectively by preference - e.g. if you like playing as a Iberian ruler, it might be worth getting the new portraits, unit graphics and sound files for that culture. In general, I'd suggest getting it at a large discount 75+% and, if possible, as a package. Otherwise, if you buy them piecemeal at full price you'll pay a fortune.

One of the major differences indeed is the focus on people, relationships and dynasties in CK2. I can't comment further, because neither have I played CK2 as much as I'd like, nor did I even get to play EU yet.

I've played both, and hence I think am qualified to answer this question.

CK2's DLC

CK2's DLC is expansive, rather than deep. Meaning it unlocks new playable races and religions rather than adding depth to existing mechanics. A good comparison would buying a new playable Leaders for Civ V (expansive) versus buying a DLC that adds new technologies and social policies (depth). For that reason, most of the DLC is completely ignorable. Although a lot of people are big fans of The Old Gods because it adds a 876a.d. start-date that's well balanced and very different form the normal start-date. The cosmetic DLC (faces, music, skins, etc) are completely ignorable.

The differences between CK2 and EU4.

CK2 is focused on characters. It is a hybrid between an RPG and a strategy game. The strategy elements are extremely simplified and streamlined in order to emphasize the role-playing. Role-playing comes in the form of random events that simulate medieval life (feasting, hunting, burning heretics, etc). It's making choices during these events that the role-palying comes from. The choices you make during these events give your character personality traits, which in turn affect your 5 rulership stats, and your personality traits in turn limit the choices you can make during these events.

EU4 focuses more on building an empire through war and colonization. It is a much deeper game than CK2, and arguably just as "wide." The mechanics are a lot more complex and multilayered, although people who play both claim EU4 is just as easy as once you've learned how to play. It's balanced like a multiplayer game and doesn't focus very much on "role-playing" or "simulation." Whereas CK2 is balanced like a sandbox (it doesn't focus on being perfectly balanced or simulating history). EU4 has pre-programmed historical events, like the Protestant Reformation, 30 Years War, French revolution, etc. Its DLC focuses mainly on "depth," but it also adds some "wide" feature.

In conclusion
  • CK2 is "shallow" but "wide" game.
  • EU4 is "deep" and "wide."
  • CK2 focuses mainly on "sandbox" gameplay, not very much on "historical railroading" (forcing events to follow history), or on multiplayer balance (in fact, the game is horribly balanced).
  • EU4 focuses mainly on gameplay balance, a little bit on "historical railroading," and barely at all on sandbox gameplay.
  • They're both "knowledge" based games and hence they're both easy once you've learned how to play. But, IMO, EU4 gives you more of a thrill because more things can go wrong.
  • They both depict religion in great detail.
  • EU4 has the best diplomacy system of any strategy game I've ever played.

Last edited:
The question is: why? Is it just because it's narrative driven? Is it because the look and feel of the gameplay is somewhat similar to modern third person action RPGs? Is it because you unlock new equipment throughout the game? Is it because, on a very basic level, you can make (irrelevant) choices (aka murder everybody or use your tools to approach problems in a slightly more elegant way)?

I'm not saying people are wrong, I'm just curious about their definition of RPG. There already is a wide array of opinions on what defines a RPG, but AC still seems a far fetched candidate.

By the way, is that even a thing? Or are you just assuming "people" call AC RPG because of that one guy describing his ideal RPG who is not even sure AC counts as such? :thinking:

Read it more than once in the forum. You know, in those creepy, dark alleys of the forum.

Like you said, the definition is very broad on purpose. But choosing whether you kill or simply incapacitate someone or whether you shoot first and cover later doesn't count as the deliberate planning and consequential decision-making that, in my view, an RPG demands.

I once talked about this with one of my former coworkers and we think sometimes "people" believe games with medieval fantasy settings are RPG's. Add to that some narrative and some unlockable "talents", and now it's an "RPG". Give Batman metal armor, swords, make the batmobile a horse and Gotham a medieval city, and the Arkham games suddenly become "RPG's".

But this isn't really new. I've heard people call Zelda: A Link to the Past an RPG too :p I'm just amused. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go play the role of Pac Man, and make some interesting choices.

Top Bottom