Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to live in the semi-bad parts of Chicago a few years ago (thank God I moved state) and where I was at the crime rates and shit were moderate but a few blocks down it was like a freaking warzone. Gunshots, reports of fights, people getting stabbed and drug deals, police sirens everywhere, yelling and screaming.

So blessed to have gotten away from it all.

I know exactly how you feel. I grew up in a tiny remote village with around 200 people (maybe less) in it and was used to dead silence at night time.

Yeah, same, grew up in a tiny fishing village ahah.
Cities are a completely different beast for us country folk, I've recently taken to listening to music at night, at least the noise is something I can tolerate then.

I recently moved from a small town in Romania all the way to London. So yeah, trust me I know how you guys felt. :p

Yeah, same, grew up in a tiny fishing village ahah.
Cities are a completely different beast for us country folk, I've recently taken to listening to music at night, at least the noise is something I can tolerate then.

I can't sleep listening to music. For me it has to be complete silence (or as close as possible) otherwise I get stuck awake. :(

Normal person: Decides to go to bed earlier, goes to bed earlier, sleeps well, gets up at 6AM well-rested, everything's okay.

Me: Decides to go to bed earlier, goes to bed earlier, sleeps well, is woken up by the f*cking neighbours at 4AM (playing drums (don't ask me how, a friend of mine living in here told me she heard exactly the same yesterday at 2.30AM), whistling, singing in a awful way, playing loud music, shouting), gets super angry, needs an hour to calm down after the noise stopped at 4.30AM, sleeps less well, gets up at 6.15AM super-tired and grumpy, lives on coffeine.

It's too much. Proceeding to move on to step 2) next week. My sister told me I can call the Police if they won't stop, but well ... that seems rather drastic to me ...

Oh come on don't ruin a young musician's dreams of greatness. I mean, the gritty Rock Muse only visits late at night, or rather early in the morning. You can't call the police on her, she'll never come back.

I've also been living in a rather large city, quite dense too so background noise is everywhere. Sometimes though, in my neighborhood, there's this damned alarm that starts at like 10 p.m. and it won't stop till like 7 a.m. Me and my neighbors have no idea what it is exactly, and one time that thing was going off for 4 nights straight.

But fortunately I was drunk two of these nights so I just slept without any issues.

I've been living in the city for 4 and a half years now so the background noise doesn't really bother me anymore. But I certainly noticed the difference last week when I went for a hike in Drakolimni. Started the hike at like 7 a.m. in the morning cause the entire hike lasts around 10 hours. The silence of the forest before everything wakes up was pretty mind blowing. Like I don't think I've ever experienced silence like that before.

Here are some pictures of the mountain.

And here's a photo of Drakolimni, which is a lake at around 2 km above the sea level and our turnaround point.

Attachments

• ^F0B80947D5CE16FA5BC7A5FCB92F4C32D57CFC5702B865669D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    ^F0B80947D5CE16FA5BC7A5FCB92F4C32D57CFC5702B865669D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 28
  • ^3BBCE854CE77520EC8EF0CC5456E3A122D6556D14ECC6ADA49^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    ^3BBCE854CE77520EC8EF0CC5456E3A122D6556D14ECC6ADA49^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 34
  • ^CC0E74D782A7591643CAD7F506ECDF87404D6045AC4D511166^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    ^CC0E74D782A7591643CAD7F506ECDF87404D6045AC4D511166^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 25
I find that ambient "sleep" music works to get me to sleep. Brian Eno's Music for Airports, stuff like that. It's interesting enough for you to focus on it instead of the outside noises, and yet not interesting enough for you to start concentrating too much on it. But I don't know if it would overwhelm a party next door.

What gets me though is that I hear more "country" noises here, right in the middle of a city, than I did when I lived in a small town. I can't believe how early in the morning the roosters wake up. It's like three hours before dawn, don't they know they're supposed to wait until the sun rises before they start crowing?

i'm sorry to see you go, @Scholdarr.452
i know you wanted to apologize for "offending" others, but you shouldn't: you're a critic, and not everyone can take criticism very well. it happens.
you will be missed, you and that brilliant brain of yours. the forums will never be the same without you >.<

farewell :geraltsad:

So I've returned to playing the Witcher 3 after several months away from it. I finally finished Skellige's Most Wanted now that that bug has been fixed and I am now in Kaer Morhen. I guess that's worth three cheers or something?

Lol instead I end up staying awake until 6am having watched an entire series.

Hmm, Find a show you'll think is really boring and watch that q:

I guess that's worth three cheers or something?

Watched the newest episode of TWD today... I am going to write an abusive letter to the writer if what l saw was how my favourite character goes out... I didn't know how to react when I saw it...

This is probably pretty close.

Hope everyone has a great Halloween!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom