Opinions on Gwent's Current State

+
I absolutely agree!!!

I wanted to create this topic too.

The game is disgustingly boring and repetative.

The devs dont give a shit about balance, just the money: journey, cosmetics etc (and insanely prices I think!!!).
They stopped caring, they stopped answering questions - yeah they don't give a shit. And the game became shit.

Still around 70% of cards are useless crap, no REAL balance patch for more than a year.

But the problem is even bigger!
Gwent beta had archetypes: some stronger, some weaker. They could create new archetypes, buff existed with new cards, etc.
H.cming doesn't have archetypes, just the cards. There are no good cards, no bad cards. Some cards are simply BETTER than the others. And this will ALWAYS be the problem!!!
Provisions seemed to be a good balance idea, but now I am not sure...

Example: ciri nova. Is it good? I think not. Lets buff it to 10 power. Good? Still not (purify, heatw, vincent, invo, killed). Ok, buff it to 10 provision. And??? It becomes super strong cause u can add good 10prov cards! So how exactly they suppose to "balance" it? It's too weak or too strong. And that's the problem with many cards.
Example 2: SK being good with no matter what leader and the same cards. Is it ok???

In h.cming universe I can't see what can be done...

What can be done anyway (must be done!!!):
1) devs should start to care about balance. Real. Test things first. Remember ptr? TEST IT GODDAMN. They ever tested matta? Oneiro? SK??
If you release new cards, then after a week a hotfix to nerf it - you admit you are not professionals and you have not tested it. How many times did that happen now??? Cmon, you're taking people's money and time. Work damn it. Have a honor. It's a real shame now...:((((((

2) They should release A REAL balance patch at least every month - the game must breathe and feel alive! (Right now it's just a dead trash). Dandelion Vainglory point at YOU, lazy designer!!!

3) They should concentrate on creating archetypes (actually resurrecting the killed ones) - discard, consume, reveal, movement, mulligans, weather (fog), self damage, lock, shields - there were so many if them(((((( there are possibilities to bring it back to life!!!

This must be done asap.

Also, increase provisions for any direct damage cards, so many interesting cards can survive at least one turn. Still it is goddamn removal fiesta with cheap damage cards!!!
Stun.blow - 6 prov, assassin - 6, parasite and sk.6-dam cards - 8 prov, heatwave - 12, yen invo - 12, rebuke - 7 prov etc etc etc.
What the hell??? A year ago they nerfed damage cards THEN created new ones! And they game is removal fiesta again.

It's so sad: the game has sooooooooooo many potential and it's all wasted ;(((((

@Selestes This is my theory, and its just a theory, i got no proof to support it, only the experience of following the game and its career since the beginning, and what goes in these forums since around open beta launch:

I think the Gwent dev team on betas (which was made of different people and size) was way more focused on gameplay, and we had new cards and balance changes regularly. On the other hand, there was almost no monetization (i think you could only buy kegs), almost no cosmetics and almost no progression (no reward trees, contracts, prestige perks,etc.)

The playerbase was happy, and according to the numbers, bigger than it is now, but the game brough almost no profit. Which was one of the major reasons to justify Project Homecoming and the reboot the game received.

Now, we clearly got a shift between gameplay and cosmetics/monetization.
The section of the team responsible for the gameplay must be way smaller, since it barely gets anything done.

Meanwhile, the cosmetics, the store, the progression got a huge focus: we got a ton of new reward trees regularly, new cosmetics, packs and skins on store, any bug regarding purchases or cosmetics gets fixed very quickly, we got Journeys, which require a ton of work from the team to do all those cosmetics and contracts, also the artwork team also does an amazing job with every new expansion (the one thing that never changed since the beginning),...

So all this effort goes into other places other than gameplay, that's why Gwent might look shinier, full of content, appear better than ever, but it definitely doesnt play better than ever.

@Selestes This is my theory, and its just a theory, i got no proof to support it, only the experience of following the game and its career since the beginning, and what goes in these forums since around open beta launch:

I think the Gwent dev team on betas (which was made of different people and size) was way more focused on gameplay, and we had new cards and balance changes regularly. On the other hand, there was almost no monetization (i think you could only buy kegs), almost no cosmetics and almost no progression (no reward trees, contracts, prestige perks,etc.)

The playerbase was happy, and according to the numbers, bigger than it is now, but the game brough almost no profit. Which was one of the major reasons to justify Project Homecoming and the reboot the game received.

Now, we clearly got a shift between gameplay and cosmetics/monetization.
The section of the team responsible for the gameplay must be way smaller, since it barely gets anything done.

Meanwhile, the cosmetics, the store, the progression got a huge focus: we got a ton of new reward trees regularly, new cosmetics, packs and skins on store, any bug regarding purchases or cosmetics gets fixed very quickly, we got Journeys, which require a ton of work from the team to do all those cosmetics and contracts, also the artwork team also does an amazing job with every new expansion (the one thing that never changed since the beginning),...

So all this effort goes into other places other than gameplay, that's why Gwent might look shinier, full of content, appear better than ever, but it definitely doesnt play better than ever.
This is my view too. Gameplay was the focus in beta, and was IMO better, albeit more streamlined. Monetization is the focus these days and gameplay is not a point of emphasis. The interface is pitifully neglected too. Everything looks nice enough, but that only keeps a player interested for so long. Frustration with the gameplay eventually makes the distracting shinies seem pretty pointless.

I absolutely agree!!!

I wanted to create this topic too.

The game is disgustingly boring and repetative.

The devs dont give a shit about balance, just the money: journey, cosmetics etc (and insanely prices I think!!!).
They stopped caring, they stopped answering questions - yeah they don't give a shit. And the game became shit.

Still around 70% of cards are useless crap, no REAL balance patch for more than a year.

But the problem is even bigger!
Gwent beta had archetypes: some stronger, some weaker. They could create new archetypes, buff existed with new cards, etc.
H.cming doesn't have archetypes, just the cards. There are no good cards, no bad cards. Some cards are simply BETTER than the others. And this will ALWAYS be the problem!!!
Provisions seemed to be a good balance idea, but now I am not sure...

Example: ciri nova. Is it good? I think not. Lets buff it to 10 power. Good? Still not (purify, heatw, vincent, invo, killed). Ok, buff it to 10 provision. And??? It becomes super strong cause u can add good 10prov cards! So how exactly they suppose to "balance" it? It's too weak or too strong. And that's the problem with many cards.
Example 2: SK being good with no matter what leader and the same cards. Is it ok???

In h.cming universe I can't see what can be done...

What can be done anyway (must be done!!!):
1) devs should start to care about balance. Real. Test things first. Remember ptr? TEST IT GODDAMN. They ever tested matta? Oneiro? SK??
If you release new cards, then after a week a hotfix to nerf it - you admit you are not professionals and you have not tested it. How many times did that happen now??? Cmon, you're taking people's money and time. Work damn it. Have a honor. It's a real shame now...:((((((

2) They should release A REAL balance patch at least every month - the game must breathe and feel alive! (Right now it's just a dead trash). Dandelion Vainglory point at YOU, lazy designer!!!

3) They should concentrate on creating archetypes (actually resurrecting the killed ones) - discard, consume, reveal, movement, mulligans, weather (fog), self damage, lock, shields - there were so many if them(((((( there are possibilities to bring it back to life!!!

This must be done asap.

Also, increase provisions for any direct damage cards, so many interesting cards can survive at least one turn. Still it is goddamn removal fiesta with cheap damage cards!!!
Stun.blow - 6 prov, assassin - 6, parasite and sk.6-dam cards - 8 prov, heatwave - 12, yen invo - 12, rebuke - 7 prov etc etc etc.
What the hell??? A year ago they nerfed damage cards THEN created new ones! And they game is removal fiesta again.

It's so sad: the game has sooooooooooo many potential and it's all wasted ;(((((
I'm playing gwent for the third season, I started at the end of the magical season when Geralt's journey ended. In Season of Magic, I didn't have time to reach Pro rank because I wanted to complete the seasons tree and walk the path. I had few cards and I played what I had and stopped at rank 6.. The next season I got a pro and it was not difficult, it was worth collecting a couple of decks from the meta, by that time I had already accumulated resources and was able to create required cards. But before taking decks from the meta, I myself tried to play the ones that I had and I was losing, but this does not mean that there is no balance, when I went to look for information about how others play, I saw that they play different decks, different factions and quite successfully.
You should understand that in addition to the deck, strategy, knowledge of the opponent's deck, bluffing and much more are also important, what do you mean by balance?

Playing this season, I find it more balanced than the previous one. Somewhere complained that the deck based on witchers was not, but at the Pro rank I lost to the deck consisting of witchers a couple of times!
Quests suck, I agree - boring, cosmetics don't work either, for me travel is more of a resource for creating cards.

And about balance - nonsense, when you write about balance, you describe what you mean by this concept, I don't see one deck or faction win all without a chance, in my experience in 2 seasons I think 4 factions are definitely playable.

The essence of the game is deck building, and I understand that it works.

I'm playing gwent for the third season, I started at the end of the magical season when Geralt's journey ended. In Season of Magic, I didn't have time to reach Pro rank because I wanted to complete the seasons tree and walk the path. I had few cards and I played what I had and stopped at rank 6.. The next season I got a pro and it was not difficult, it was worth collecting a couple of decks from the meta, by that time I had already accumulated resources and was able to create required cards. But before taking decks from the meta, I myself tried to play the ones that I had and I was losing, but this does not mean that there is no balance, when I went to look for information about how others play, I saw that they play different decks, different factions and quite successfully.
You should understand that in addition to the deck, strategy, knowledge of the opponent's deck, bluffing and much more are also important, what do you mean by balance?

Playing this season, I find it more balanced than the previous one. Somewhere complained that the deck based on witchers was not, but at the Pro rank I lost to the deck consisting of witchers a couple of times!
Quests suck, I agree - boring, cosmetics don't work either, for me travel is more of a resource for creating cards.

And about balance - nonsense, when you write about balance, you describe what you mean by this concept, I don't see one deck or faction win all without a chance, in my experience in 2 seasons I think 4 factions are definitely playable.

The essence of the game is deck building, and I understand that it works.
So your assuming he isn't knowledgeable about the game? Making it to rank doesn't mean the game is without flaws. You lost against a witcher deck, so what? That could mean your deck was a bad match up or you didn't understand how to counter. I've beaten SK with a deathwish deck, doesn't mean they aren't broken AF, it's just a bad match up for the faction.

What depresses me the most is that there are complex decks hidden deep within the game but those decks simply can't compete with the pure point-slam nonsense going around these days. If you try to make a proper Spies deck you'll realize that it requires planning ahead and it's actually pretty well designed, it just doesn't have enough points is the problem. That forces people to add in stupid stuff like Masquerade Ball to keep up which in turn takes away from the unique playstyle.

I've tried my hardest to compete with a pure Spying deck like the beta days but I've realized it just can't be done. It could've been the most fun deck in the game for me but losing just isn't fun no matter how interesting the deck plays.
It bums me out since I was pretty excited for more support for the archetype this expansion. In the end those cards just get used in some mishmash best of everything decks instead.

I think that's what's ruined much of the game for me. Archetypes not really working properly on their own anymore. Everything just sort of blends together.

Guest 4368268

Having grinded in pro ladder this season for the first time in over a year (aiming top 500) I can honestly say that luck is a huge factor in your success. Percentage wise I wouldn't know how to compare player agency vs luck but what I can say is that I've noticed patterns in my winning streaks and phases where my mmr plummets for a series of games.

The most obvious and most infamous luck factor is the coinflip. I can't possibly stretch enough just how crucial this is.
It's make or break against Imperial Formation, Overwhelming Hunger, Lippy Skellige and more. The difference is massive. So many decks on pro ladder seem to be designed around getting red coin and players have more than enough experience to know exactly how to use (or abuse, if you will) it. Make stratagems stronger. Do anything.

Good luck beating a masquerade ball on blue coin. Unless you have a bomb heaver of course, which is where the second most luck factor comes in, actually drawing properly. This is a tough one to even complain about, because what are you gonna do about it? Sometimes you just get unlucky. I do accept that, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing and it does feel more punishing now than ever because of the fact binary situations like bomb heaver vs. scenario and defenders exist.

Another massive luck factor is the match-up you get. This meta is so incredibly paper vs scissors. The game gets credit because "all factions are playable now" and I won't deny as much, I see a wide variety of factions being played now, but that's also because they pretty much rely on the same stuff. Echo cards, evolving cards, scenarios and the like.
When I play vs NR or Syndicate as Skellige I constantly win. When I play Skellige as NR I constantly lose. Again, I get that this is largely a normal thing, some decks are inherently better against others.
But having said that it would be nice to stand a fighting chance if I play well and my opponent makes obvious mistakes.

Decisions and knowledge matter, but it seems other factors matter just as much. I watch a bunch of streamers, Bushr, Redrame, Tailbot, they all run into the same problems. Granted, they deal with it better than someone like I do because they're the elite players, but even they constantly lose against worse players with often worse decks just because of fluky factors like the ones I mentioned. Even the best Gwent players in the world will still lose around 40/50 % of their games on ladder because skill only gets you so far.

I'd like to add a special complaint about Schirru, good grief. Only with lockdown I've been able to reliably play around it. Your opponent just plays carry over/removal and then catches up for 40 points with it. This card was the worst card at the start of Homecoming and it takes the crown again now. I'm assuming they're reworking it with initiative now which would be a substantial and sufficient change, but if they let this go (and I really can't imagine they would) I'm probably calling it quits myself. We had artifacts Schirru now we have special cards + handbuff Schirru.
I like Sheldon, I like Gord, I don't mind removal oriented decks, but I despise Schirru.

I'm very disappointed with the game right now. Because it feels like after all of these expansions, all of these mechanics and all of these new cards the gameplay just feels back to where it was at the beginning in so many ways.
Playing competitively for roughly 250 games this season has made me even more aware of the glaring issues this game suffers from. That's not sour grapes either, as in terms of results I'm actually doing pretty well.

The upcoming leader change is good. Personally I'd like it if all leaders were one-shot and had a distinct turn to use them as old Gwent did. But since they chose the current format, make them all passive/active throughout the game and have an equal playing field. I hope they also do something about scenarios and that they for the love of God stop introducing broken nonsense every expansion that the game takes months to recover from.

The most obvious and most infamous luck factor is the coinflip. [...]
the second most luck factor comes in, actually drawing properly. [...]
Another massive luck factor is the match-up you get.

Not going to disagree here, but I do want to mention that this is true for basically every CCG.

ya1

Forum regular
I do want to mention that this is true for basically every CCG.

Yes but not every CCG has provision based deck building where a 14p gold is worth three or four 4p bronzes, and drawing that bronze when oppo draws that gold = autolose.

I'd like to add a special complaint about Schirru

True but what is ST without Schirru? Nothing. Forgotten faction. Faction that got close to nothing in MM. Nerf to Schirru = making ST unplayable.

Good luck beating a masquerade ball on blue coin.

Outside NG being autolose vs any non-devotion deck, there is also Crystal Skull. But I've seen people dropping even that more and more. Apparently, the advantage vs NG is not even worth that one point less from TA - that's how weak NG is these days.

Yes but not every CCG has provision based deck building where a 14p gold is worth three or four 4p bronzes, and drawing that bronze when oppo draws that gold = autolose.

I have to disagree here. With other CCG, you have the same principle, when you draw a low mana card when you need a high mana card. Furthermore, in Gwent, you draw 10 cards and can cycle through your deck more efficiently, reducing the RNG.

We had artifacts Schirru now we have special cards + handbuff Schirru.
I like Sheldon, I like Gord, I don't mind removal oriented decks, but I despise Schirru.

- I came across a deck like this last night, don't remember what leader ability he used and he used at least 3 tutoring cards + land of something artifact.
He used Gord ofc, Ragnarok, Dragon's Dream and finished me off with Schirru.
I was playing SY congregate and when he was done with me there was almost no unit on my side of the the board, a multi kill rampage, it felt like a sick joke, it was the first time I saw something like that, I couldn't do anything at all.

With other CCG, you have the same principle, when you draw a low mana card when you need a high mana card. Furthermore, in Gwent, you draw 10 cards and can cycle through your deck more efficiently, reducing the RNG.

- Indeed, with so much tutoring in this meta... yeah you can get sh!t out of luck sometimes but generally there are so many ways to draw out the cards you want when you need em that the rng factor has been significantly reduced.

rrc

Forum veteran
I'd like to add a special complaint about Schirru, good grief. Only with lockdown I've been able to reliably play around it. Your opponent just plays carry over/removal and then catches up for 40 points with it. This card was the worst card at the start of Homecoming and it takes the crown again now. I'm assuming they're reworking it with initiative now which would be a substantial and sufficient change, but if they let this go (and I really can't imagine they would) I'm probably calling it quits myself. We had artifacts Schirru now we have special cards + handbuff Schirru.
I agree Shirru can be toxic especially if you don't have any way to boost your units out of Shirru's range. But apparently Shirru/Gord is the only thing ST has now. Destory Shirru will basically mean ST is destroyed - unless there are good balance changes which would make ST playable without Shirru. ST plays low-unit units because their units suck. When did you see any other high provision gold other than Oak from an ST player? All ST's 10P+ golds suck or mediocre, except for Oak.

I had tried a similar deck and I can say Shirru can be a huge pain in the ass for the player. He seriously messes up mulligan. You shouldn't have Shirru in hand in any round if you are going for handbuff cards. And in R3, he should be in the deck and you should have access to Council. You should hold on to Council or a means to get Council till R3. Having Schirru means, you can't have any other Elfs, basically you don't have any purify. I had lost games just because I drew in R3 (because I was desparate to get my cards and risked it and got screwed by Schirru) or I couldn't get access to Coucil or even drawing him in R1 which will prevent you to play Dunca etc.

But I have a big confidence on CDPR that they will nerf Schirru. They will test ST player's skills by making them play some junk meme card as the mainstream card/deck. So, as I had said before, bring it on CDPR! We are waiting.

Guest 4368268

Not going to disagree here, but I do want to mention that this is true for basically every CCG.
True, I do understand there's only so much they can do about a lot of this stuff. All they can do is try to mitigate it as much as possible but I feel like they've failed at doing that especially with what they've done during expansions.

True but what is ST without Schirru? Nothing. Forgotten faction. Faction that got close to nothing in MM. Nerf to Schirru = making ST unplayable.
Correct, ST is pretty much useless without it. But two wrongs don't make a right and I consider Schirru a gigantic wrong for the health of the game. I like ST and I'd like to see it buffed all around especially the elf package, but Schirru as is just can't stay imo.

- I came across a deck like this last night, don't remember what leader ability he used and he used at least 3 tutoring cards + land of something artifact.
He used Gord ofc, Ragnarok, Dragon's Dream and finished me off with Schirru.
I was playing SY congregate and when he was done with me there was almost no unit on my side of the the board, a multi kill rampage, it felt like a sick joke, it was the first time I saw something like that, I couldn't do anything at all.
Yeah, often times in HC a game tends to go that way. You completely decimate your opponent or get completely decimated by him. These outcomes are just due to poor balancing of certain cards. I mean if you play elves + scenario for example Schirru will destroy your entire board even with initiative. It feels very bad to get steamrolled like that because the match-up is just so unfavourable.

I agree Shirru can be toxic especially if you don't have any way to boost your units out of Shirru's range. But apparently Shirru/Gord is the only thing ST has now. Destory Shirru will basically mean ST is destroyed - unless there are good balance changes which would make ST playable without Shirru. ST plays low-unit units because their units suck. When did you see any other high provision gold other than Oak from an ST player? All ST's 10P+ golds suck or mediocre, except for Oak.

I had tried a similar deck and I can say Shirru can be a huge pain in the ass for the player. He seriously messes up mulligan. You shouldn't have Shirru in hand in any round if you are going for handbuff cards. And in R3, he should be in the deck and you should have access to Council. You should hold on to Council or a means to get Council till R3. Having Schirru means, you can't have any other Elfs, basically you don't have any purify. I had lost games just because I drew in R3 (because I was desparate to get my cards and risked it and got screwed by Schirru) or I couldn't get access to Coucil or even drawing him in R1 which will prevent you to play Dunca etc.

But I have a big confidence on CDPR that they will nerf Schirru. They will test ST player's skills by making them play some junk meme card as the mainstream card/deck. So, as I had said before, bring it on CDPR! We are waiting.
I get your worries about this. NG players have it with Vincent/Ball. It's the staples of an otherwise weak faction.
So even if something seems overtuned/bad for the game they want it to stay because it makes the faction viable.
My problem with that approach is essentially what happened with Skellige. Skellige was a weak faction but had some extremely strong cards. The extremely strong cards were kept in balance by the rest being trash.

As soon as SK got access to more power these cards immediately pushed SK to tier 0. That's why I don't think you can keep problematic cards like a Schirru around, even if it temporarily cripples a faction. I love ST, it's actually the first faction I ever played and I'd like it to be good, but not in such a binary way where you win or lose depending on circumstances outside of your/your opponents' control.
Post automatically merged:

Outside NG being autolose vs any non-devotion deck, there is also Crystal Skull. But I've seen people dropping even that more and more. Apparently, the advantage vs NG is not even worth that one point less from TA - that's how weak NG is these days.
Crystal Skull of course also plays into Vincent, who then triggers the ball again.

Regarding the Schirru rants, it's takes me 2 years back or so. Back then, a little after the homecoming release the meta was mostly point slam monsters and the best anti meta deck was percision strike (Eithne) with elves, scorch an schirru. The forums were all filled with "nerf schirru to the ground" rants. Then the meta shifted, Schirru wasn't changed (maybe his power went down by 1 or something similar but the ability stayed the same) and everyone forgot about him. Nowdays that a lot of players play various midrange Shirru is considered OP again, for about 2 years it was fine almost unpalyed card and now its considered unbalanced.

Really?? Every card that breaks the meta will be considered OP? I'm pretty used to the anti control decks posts in general, but do we really want gwent to be about who can boost his cards the most with little to no interferance with the oponent's deck or board?

@Nathan277
I Agree with everything.

- I don't want to see NG ball nerfed to irrelevance or removed, I don't want this for Schirru either or any strong card of any faction.
I want factions to be balanced around all of their cards, to turn different archetypes to something
more than just "available", switch the word and put this in..."viable".

- Ofc this is not easy, not as easy as adding 1,2,3 cards to each faction on major updates then working around balancing those only because they end up changing or breaking the game almost completely.
Maybe I ask for too much, maybe..?
I don't know.

- I like how this game has these epic moments like big point swings.
I honestly like how the game plays atm but I feel like I'm pressured to choose between devotion decks and scenarios-neutral, not all devotion decks are equally strong against scenario-neutral card decks.
Now if each faction gets a scenario removal card to put in without breaking devotion that would be great.

- If scenario removal cards get removed I hope they do a major rebalance to all factions to go with that.

Honestly at the moment I feel like the game finally found some balance. Win some, lose some right now (though I'm no expert at card games nor at gwent). Skellige was over the top, started playing it and it was way too easy. Right now it still has a very strong deck, but you have to pay much closer attention to what you are doing, instead of throwing down any cards will end up being fine.

Even Nilfgaards feels a lot better (most of the games I played against them), not sure what changed, but the lock & poison seems a lot less overwhelming compared to before. However the spying shenanigans are still off the charts. The way they play 4 cards every other round and eventually stack your half of the field is the weirdest way to attain victory.

It's like you no longer get to play your deck/strategy. Doesn't matter if I use skellige, monster or northern realms, still gonna need those slots to play cards in :ROFLMAO:

The forums were all filled with "nerf schirru to the ground" rants. Then the meta shifted, Schirru wasn't changed (maybe his power went down by 1 or something similar but the ability stayed the same) and everyone forgot about him.

You have a really bad memory. They nerfed Schirru by making him destroy himself too. He used to be immune to his own effect and it was absolutely the most OP card in the game.

but do we really want gwent to be about who can boost his cards the most with little to no interferance with the oponent's deck or board?

This is all Gwent has been for 2 years now. There just arnt enough interesting cards left for anything else.

So much of Gwent has become spawn and spam. Schirru, in his present form is one of very few deterrents to that strategy. We actually need a lot more powers like “destroy the next spawned or drawn card before it takes effect” or “boost self by one every for every card your opponent spawns”, or a row effect “no cards can be placed in or moved to this row for 2 turns”

I don't agree with any of the comment complaining about luck as a detriment to any card game especially fantasy TCG CCG.

Personally I put the top players Of MTG above the top Players of GWENT because of the randomness and Diversity of Archetypes in MTG compared to Gwent.

Like Poker losing to a bad draw or bad hand is no different that "chess style victory" . It's still a valid loss. There is more chance of a new player with a sub par deck beating a top pro with a tour deck in MTG than there would be a New player in gwent with a new deck beating a top pro.

Reposting a earlier comment I made for a more detailed response.

Well my views on how to improve it are to make it less balances and more board disruptive so that single cards can change how the entire game plays out and who plays the last card actually matters because it could the whole outcome of the game could be determined by it,

I completely disagree with your assertion that they are entitled to be disappointed or critical

And there is indeed imbalance when an experienced player with even 2 card advantage loses to a broken faction.

I disagree with the above as well the game should not be in a state where if you have card advantage and played perfectly you are "guaranteed" a win.

Again that is chess not a TCG . If you want that type of experience you should go play chess not a tcg and again there we cards where you could regaulary win in the above case or even at a greater disadvantage going into round 3.

(IB4 someone tells me to go play MTG i already do. MTG Does Not have Ciri Triss and Yen" yet my comment about chess remains valid because it is referring to play style and pure technical game experience)

The game should model itself after MTG a game where a person playing their first ever game has a chance to beat the best player in the world . ( best player gets a bad draw mana screw etc)

it also has more Archetypes and ways to impede , stop, or destroy your op's side of the board.

I can hear the people who again feel the need to prove their "pure skill " to the world already typing and saying that is not a win because it's not a "chess style win"

Yet MTG is the longest running Tcg/ccg in history who has a pro tournament an competitive player long before anyone else so they must be doing something right.

That is how I would improve the game.

another reposted relevant response

-for the sake of argument - my view would be to erase homecoming an actually put it back to a state combining the best parts of the closed and open beta. That was the best time in gwent.

- a time where individual card could complete change the game

-a time where you could have a 50 point or more less but if the op had op decked they could play a card that would completely destroy your side of the board and they would win.

- a time where you could use a combination of card to complete empty the other players side of the board and there was nothing they could do about it

That was the best time in gwent not this homogenized over balanced chess with fantasy cards game they have turned this into.

-could go on but again in my view they ruined gwent in alot of way with HC.

You have a really bad memory. They nerfed Schirru by making him destroy himself too. He used to be immune to his own effect and it was absolutely the most OP card in the game.
Thanks for the correction, i tried googling the card history but found only data from beta and gave up on finding it since it was late and i was tired. I found it now here https://gwent.one/en/card/142108/1.0.0.15 . When nerfed CDPR actually also increased its str to 3 and provisions went down from 11 to 9.

However this correction does not contradict the point, for the past year and a half or so the card was the same as now, hardly anyone used it and nobody complained and now with all the swarm midrange decks its considered OP all of sudden.

Top Bottom