12th/13gen CPU

+
I am on the forums after the 10th billion crash report sent in, and wondering when will CDPR stabilize Cyberpunk 2077 on the 12/13 gen cpu's.
It is similar to crashes that happen when the Hyperthreads are on (mine are off), but far less, but no where near acceptable. The crash can happen 1 second after starting the game via direct exe, Nvidia experience, or GOG (GOG being the more unstable than the other 2) to, I think, the longest play was 3 hours, more often it is in 5 to 60 min window, and more so if reloading a previous save from the game field. I can progress past the crash point, once I can get Cyberpunk to run. Which brings me to another point, once crashed you HAVE TO REPAIR, or it just refuses to work.

At my end, all hardware has been tested including placed in a different tower, for testing, a careful, week long process. Game a fresh install, to wipe out all mod effects, prior to 2.0. Had this problem without a mod, and the one I have now, so it is not the mods. I have games that do work on 12/13 gen: ESO runs smoothly, Conan Exiles runs Smoothly, BG3 DX 11 runs well (Vulken is just unstable even on my laptop I7 9th gen) so again not my hardware.

I did find something with Intel: others have the same complaint even with other games, and as far as Intel is concern (paraphrasing): it is up to CDPR to have Cyberpunk 2077 to 'catch up' with the tech as gen 12 and 13 cpu's uses a different architecture, then 11 and younger generations.

CDPR updated specs require the cpu specifically 12th gen I7's and I9's and yet the game is struggling with the cpu. Many like myself had the ability to update, our machines, and as you are aware, it is not just cpu swap. New Ram, and motherboard also needs to be replaced. This is a hefty cost because I do enjoy the game, been playing since Dec 2020.

i run a i9-12900k and i don t get any crash even after hours of playing in cyberpunk, just get a gtx4800 so i can run the game in Overdrive and it s smooth, don t think it s coming from the cpu gen

I7 13700k having the same issues though i cant even run the game at all, just says my files are corrupted. To add on i have tried literally every fix possible, but game just crashes on startup or when loading into a (brand new character) and says "corrupted script files"

Attachments

• Cyberpunk2077.exe-20231007-100611-21836-9716.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 32
Is it similar to this crash?

No, nothing like this. The game most of the time it drops to desktop, or in rare cases freeze the screen so badly one must sign out and relog in. Then you must repair the game as it refuses to operate otherwise.
I have done a fresh reinstall Saturday and after the 4th attempt (due to corruption) got a non corrupt download. I still have the same problem. It is very similar to crashes with the Hyperthreads were on. Turning the Hyperthreads off reduce the crashes by say 90%, and thus making the game a bit playable., but still crash.
Like I said it is a known issue, and Intel places the correction on companies like CDPR. I use a I9 13900k, and other than bugs in my other games they all run well, except for Hogwarts which in worse shape as it just does not want to run at all, but will run on my I7 9th gen laptop.

i have a 12700k with 4070 and the game runs great in overdrive mode. not a single crash after a 100% playthrough (all quests, gigs and ncpd) with update 2.0 and phantom liberty.

i have a 12700k with 4070 and the game runs great in overdrive mode. not a single crash after a 100% playthrough (all quests, gigs and ncpd) with update 2.0 and phantom liberty.
I am happy for you, really, no sarcasm, envious to be truthful, but it is not the same cpu. 13900k, not 13700k could be the extra 200 is the issue. <edit> Looked it up some 12 more cores from 700 to 900. Thank you for the info, narrows it down a bit more. =)

As mentioned before all other parts have been tested over a weeks time, and I was not alone, (forgot to mention earlier) someone far more knowledge than me was with me doing the testing. Everything points to the cpu, and Intel confirms this.

Last edited:
I also have crashes when using my PC with my 13700k. I played the game on my other 2 PCs and gaming laptop and no crashes. So that only leaves me thinking there is something going on with the game and 13700k.
Cyberpunk 2077 is not the only game I have done this test with. SotTR I can replicate the same issue. That game runs fine on the other PCs but when I use my 13700k the g ame crashes. I was thinking it was my CPU but some games run just fine.
I think the big core little core thing might be the issue but I have no way of testig that although I did disable the e-cores and the two games still crashed with the 13700k and ran fine on the other PCs.
Games that also compile shaders give me a hard time too with my 13700k. Unreal engine for sure.
It could be a security issue. Recently I just heard that Intel is doing something with security on chip but not sure if that is in the 13700k or not. It is really hard to get straight information to fix the crash issue.

After only a short time in the game, my CPU i9-13900K heats up very strongly. Temperatures beyond 90°C are quickly reached and "normal" in Cyberpunk, while games like Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield settle between 50° - 60°C. My RTX 4090 reacts the same in terms of temperature in all games. as soon as the high temperatures are reached, the speed and frequency of the crashes also increases. An interesting fact is that I was able to play in the Eastern Badlands for a very long time without any problems, while in Nightcity the game crashes every 5 minutes.

Did you try using the intel extreme utility to lower your P core multiplier?

Seems i made it a bit more stable when I sue the P cores at 52x instead of 55x but it's not always the same experience.

Sometimes i'll have the game running without any system crashes for 4 hours and sometimes it will crash every 30 minutes.

Try downclocking a bit. Also try higher, closer to the norm voltages. If you lose 1% or less of performance, it's not the end of the world.

Did you try using the intel extreme utility to lower your P core multiplier?

Seems i made it a bit more stable when I sue the P cores at 52x instead of 55x but it's not always the same experience.

Sometimes i'll have the game running without any system crashes for 4 hours and sometimes it will crash every 30 minutes.
No, and never heard of it to be truthful. That said I did try out your suggestion. Played Cyberpunk for an hour with launching it from GOG, and so far seems to be running fine now. Not only that, Hogwarts, which was in worse shape, can be played, instead of screaming there is not enough memory.

thank you.

Top Bottom