2020 the comic

+
2020 the comic

hello all. since the announcement of this game, my anticipation has been snowballing into a wild frenzy. i've decided to do something with all that weird energy and try to make a fan comic set inside the cyberpunk 2020 setting. in general, it will be about several interweaving, mixed narratives following characters from each of the 9 roles from the pnp rpg. basically, it will be similar to the movie ''go'', or pulp fiction, or that episode from the simpsons, you know the one. each issue will be its own story and be able stand on its own, but will weave in and out, directly and indirectly, with the stories of the other characters.

now, i've never done anything this ambitious before, so it could be a disaster. so far i've done some preliminary story work and drawn a few character concepts. its not much but i just started a few days ago.

what i'd like is some community input. i'm not as well versed in the 2020 setting, though i've been reading through it, and any help would be appreciated.

anyway, there are some pics on the deviantart i made for this project - http://dangerbrain.deviantart.com/.

give me your thoughts.

10 roles, med tech and techie are too dissimilar to be a combined role.

But awesome. Can't wait to read it. I love the retro pen and ink style, there are too many 'quirky' comics these days.

Wow, your art looks fuckin' amazing. Can't give advice, as I haven't played the classic PnP game, but I trust the art at least will be good, and hope the story will be too.

heh, thanks, i guess i overlooked the medtech. and i appreciate the compliment as well. i'd like to color the comic hopefully, but right now thats been put on the back burner. it takes a long time to do just inks.

Med tech and techie are not too dissimilar to be combined into separate roles at all. Not in 2020 - it's all repair repair repair. Especially since most video games have doctor abilities reduced to a potion, which in the era of nanotech, enhanced antibodies and lifesaver skinweave, almost makes sense.

I bet CDPR does exactly that, if they make medtech a role at all.

Your Solo has dumb hair - looks like a plant sprouting from his head. Your rockergirl looks very real. Your cop looks like James Dean and kind of soft.

Great art, though, my preferences aside.

i appreciate all the feedback.

i actually have intentions of remaking the cop to appear older, in his late fifties, old for a cop, working as an investigator. his arc will be more about his final case, and will probably be one of the sadder stories, but with plenty of classic gritty noir.

in general i want to emphasize how no one makes it out of night city alive or intact.

bear in mind everything is subject to change, though.

the techie arc i plan to be about street racing.

the nomad is a story about a girl trying to rescue her sister after she was kidnapped by a booster gang.

the corporate will be about starting a riot to use as a smoke screen to steal company secrets. this will affect all the other story lines in one way or another.

the solo im still hammering out but i imagine him being a merciless killing machine, invoking a bit of javier bardem from no country for old men.

the fixer is a big time gang lord who will either be mentioned a lot or make appearances in several stories. im still working on his own story as well, but i imagine him going head to head with the corporate, as each represents the height of power in their respective domains.

the rockergirl will be more of personal story about living up to what you stand for, a girl who represents an idea but struggles to meet it.

the riot, of course will be covered by the media, again featured throughout each comic.

well, im rambling now, im gonna get back to drawing.

'in general i want to emphasize how no one makes it out of night city alive or intact.'

This is a great, key CP2020 sentiment. I wish more cyberpunk authors, players and fans would understand this key idea of unavoidable, irrevocable change, typically for the worse.

well to be honest, characters will die. those who survive, won't be the same. night city is a hostile creature. you may think you've got it by the leash just when it decides to eat the tether. i want to reflect that.

Top Bottom