A Living, Breathing NIGHT CITY

+
Agreed on both counts... I want lots of enterable buildings, I just don't think every building has to, or should be enterable... I also want a large map...

Hopefully we can get both.

We can only hope... But i'm sure CDPR got great things in store for us..

I'm trying to keep an open mind during the development process and go into this with no expectations. That's probably the best way to handle a highly anticipated game.

I would like to add a few of my thoughts on the police and city's reactions to the player, though. I think it would be awesome to have a subtle "reaction scale" to the player's actions. High profile illegal actions will slowly make you show up on the cops' radar. Billboards could display your wanted poster, people might talk about "that criminal who hasn't been caught" or some other reactions. Ultimately, once you reach the max end of this scale, the cops set up roadblocks, kick down doors, and you end up in chase after chase until you're brought in or brought down.

On the flip side, activity in the combat zone in gang territory could have the same effects on the gang that holds sovereignty. Enough high profile actions against them and they send hit squads at you, patrolling members respond hostile, and perhaps their reach eventually extends into the other districts of their city and you're never completely safe, but you may have the cops on your side in the safer districts.

Either way the system needs to be sure to have a way to negatively effect a "good" person and an "evil" person. Side with the people and the corporations want you dead. Side with the corporations and the people might assault you on the streets, throwing rocks or even pulling a knife or gun.

The system could use environmental queues like the billboards and NPC reactions, or just a simple numbers scale. I feel like I've seen a singular version of this feature in a different game, but I can't place it.

Other feature I'm hopeful for, though it's probably everything except confirmed, is random encounters. I don't think a single person hasn't mentioned them. I would definitely enjoy seeing cops chasing a criminal or acts of violence or really anything take place without my intervention. No cheesy event setups that require the player's input, I really just want to see the city do its thing without me.

Oh, I'd give up on many enterable buildings in afast second in return for an organic city, with non-repeating quest seeds and living NPC interaction outside of automated cycles. Oh yes.

Oh, I'd give up on many enterable buildings in afast second in return for an organic city, with non-repeating quest seeds and living NPC interaction outside of automated cycles. Oh yes.

Well, both exploration and quests should be well balanced.. They complete each other. And like you said, Deus Ex type of exploration is lots of fun!

Either way the system needs to be sure to have a way to negatively effect a "good" person and an "evil" person. Side with the people and the corporations want you dead. Side with the corporations and the people might assault you on the streets, throwing rocks or even pulling a knife or gun.

The system could use environmental queues like the billboards and NPC reactions, or just a simple numbers scale.
Post 28. Just expand the idea to include actions the players take in-game.

Other feature I'm hopeful for, though it's probably everything except confirmed, is random encounters. I don't think a single person hasn't mentioned them.
*ahem*...

*ahem*...

When you think about it, wouldn't it be nice if the Night City is effected by your actions and even the smallest random events are based on your actions? It could add more detail and realism to the game.. Could make a lot of things a lot more interesting..

...I don't know if I'd want *all* random events to trigger, based on my actions. Some things, like how various gangs react to me, sure. But, I want to walk around Night City and feel like the city is a living, breathing thing, with or without me, as if I were visiting a different city IRL.

...I don't know if I'd want *all* random events to trigger, based on my actions. Some things, like how various gangs react to me, sure. But, I want to walk around Night City and feel like the city is a living, breathing thing, with or without me, as if I were visiting a different city IRL.

Of course city lives with or without you, i just thought it would be a nice way to show that players actions matter.. Maybe "all" random events are too much, perhaps only random event that should be effected is the events after big missions..

*ahem*...

Yeah I know. I read through that thread, I'm not sure if I ever posted but I wanted to add that in at the end of my post here because it was on my mind at the time.

And the system I think I was thinking of was the Assassin's Creed notoriety system. High profile actions draw attention, max out that meter and you're known to the guards of the city. Just expanded upon that idea.

I need that teeming metropolis feel. I'm just wondering how the hell they gonna render a city with l like thousands of hi res people doing beleivalbe things and living their lives? So I can come in and ruin/complicate their existences?

braindancer12 said:
the next gen will make it possible
I sincerely doubt that. PCs of today's age can handle the rendering, no problem (even without LOD models if all buildings are treated as rendering occluders). The AI and other calculations here would, however, require a multi-core CPU to work. No, Intel's processors probably won't do. If done properly (and optimized to run on many cores simultaneously) it'll work correctly on AMD octa-core CPUs (PlayStation 4, NextBox/Durango). They'll just need to move away from their traditional engine coding and optimize the engine as a whole to run well on n-core processors (we'll probably have 16-core consumer processors by then, which means 32-core server processors and up to 128 cores per machine, which would be sufficient to run a complete Night City on a server, San Andreas: Multiplayer style).

I sincerely doubt that. PCs of today's age can handle the rendering, no problem (even without LOD models if all buildings are treated as rendering occluders). The AI and other calculations here would, however, require a multi-core CPU to work. No, Intel's processors probably won't do. If done properly (and optimized to run on many cores simultaneously) it'll work correctly on AMD octa-core CPUs (PlayStation 4, NextBox/Durango). They'll just need to move away from their traditional engine coding and optimize the engine as a whole to run well on n-core processors (we'll probably have 16-core consumer processors by then, which means 32-core server processors and up to 128 cores per machine, which would be sufficient to run a complete Night City on a server, San Andreas: Multiplayer style).

thats right. Here is what CEO Marcin Iwinski of CD said about next gen and cross gen games. Their other title The Witcher 3 is also for next gen:

“We’ve clearly said we’ll be next-gen only,” PC is a non-stop next-gen, that’s the cool thing about it. So I think a lot of people with big franchises and massive reach plans, they’ll have this dilemma, and I think there’ll be a lot of compromises made in the industry that might not necessarily be good for gamers.”

“We’re looking for triple-A experiences from the next-gen,” added Iwinski. “The Witcher 3 is so large… with a world bigger than Skyrim, and everything that we wanted to put inside it, there’s just no way that it would run on current-gen. We’d have to put a couple of years of development into [360 and PS3 versions], and then the experience would be so-so… we’d never do that.”

My feel.

I think that this city is a bit small, but it's only my notion. But it's very nice idea :) I want this city in the game.

Last edited:
Night City: What do you guys think should be added?

I mean gang types and things.

Honestly, I think they should add everything from what the original Cyberpunk 2020 had. I want them to have the war zones! I want them t o show the C-SWAT flying around in their VTOLs and doing their annual sweep an' clean. You know, where they just throw toxic gas everywhere, fire their microwave weapons every-where, etc. I also think they could add one of the whole religious/cult gangs that are extremely against augmentations, just literally tacking some cybered up guy with a swarm and literally just ripping/cutting off and destroying any augmentations (s)he has, possibly even forcibly removing augmented eyes from their sockets. After all it is Cyberpunk and not to mention Night City, I honestly think they should show no restriction on content, just give us the full package. Since 1 out of every 4 people were homeless in 1996 in Cyberpunk 2020, homes should obviously be hard to get and/or expensive if they add them in. Not too sure about the military, considering a single military guy in Cyberpunk has the ability to wipe out an entire city block and more than likely beyond while easily flipping an APC.

Maybe a scene or two of a riot on a corporate building, then if things get too out of hand anyone in the riot could just get obliterated by heavily auged up corp. sec., if the riot is big enough maybe even add an ACPA or two just eliminating all resistance no matter how much heat they're packing. I would really like them to add the full extent of just how powerful the corporations like Militech can be.

Remember! Attitude is everything, always take it to the edge, and break the rules! The traditional concepts of good and evil are replaced by the values of expedience-you do what you have to do to survive, including screwing over friends and loved ones.

Howdy, newcomer!

When you get a chance, might wanna poke through this list of threads here. There's a LOT of rabid CP2020 fans here, who have asked these kinds of questions previously. I think you'll likely find a thread or three that piques your interest. =)

Welcome aboard!

It's cool, happens to me all the time... which is why i don't post threads lol
still it can be hard jumping into a 20 page thread sometimes just right into the middle of whatever is going on.

what night city needs is me, you know beamed in ala tron or something, ultimate gaming experience ;)

Top Bottom