A question to any native english speaker.

+
A question to any native english speaker.

Have you read the fan-translated "Sword of Destiny"(or any other fan-translated witcher book)? If you have then what do you think of it? Is it any good from your perspective?

I started reading it and the few others that have had fan translations done. They weren't bad. I just lost motivation since I still hadn't finished Blood of the Elves at the time. I've been meaning to actually print it out and make a real book out of it. I get too easily distracted reading stuff online.

How can a native English speaker know whether the translation is good or not? Shouldn't it be a native Polish speaker with a good use of English? So that they can know if the essence of the novel is transferred? Hehe anyway i think it's good, though i am not a native speaker of either language!

LordFuzzyButt said:
How can a native English speaker know whether the translation is good or not? Shouldn't it be a native Polish speaker with a good use of English? So that they can know if the essence of the novel is transferred? Hehe anyway i think it's good, though i am not a native speaker of either language!
I just want to know if the fan translations weren't a bit weird to read. Only someone who uses English every day can tell that.

Im definitely not english speaker but you simply can't translate some polish words to English, Sapkowski is playing with words and some jokes etc. are lost in translation, not to mention fantranslations mostly are translations of other language translations.

Sirnaq said:
Im definitely not english speaker but you simply can't translate some polish words to English, Sapkowski is playing with words and some jokes etc. are lost in translation, not to mention fantranslations mostly are translations of other language translations.

(Google Translator)

This is typical and insoluble problem of translating between two different languages. Books translated from English to Polish surely lose a lot of nuances.

Unfortunately I know only Polish, and I'm too lazy and I have no motivation to learn other languages ​​:)

They read well, as well as a professional translation. I can't comment on whether or not they include the nuances :)

(And yes, I'm a native English speaker)

They are very good and well worth reading. Compared to a professional translation, they have some strong advantages and some minor drawbacks.

The biggest advantage of the fan translations is that they are made by fans who do this for love. This gives them a tone of enthusiasm for Sapkowski and for the stories that you won't find in the dutiful Danusia Stok translations.

The second-biggest advantage of the fan translations is that they exist at all. Only two of the Witcher books have been published in English. A third has been promised but repeatedly and drastically delayed, now scheduled for June 2013. The likelihood of a fourth or any other being published in English in our lifetimes is approximately zero.

The drawback is that they are not professional translations. They are not free from errors in grammar, usage, or style. If you are accustomed to working with people for whom English is not their first language and reading what they write, you should have no problem taking these minor errors in stride. Only those who expect English writing to be flawless and who balk at minor errors when reading will have any trouble with them.

The point mentioned by Sirnaq and nocny above is important and should not be overlooked. These are stories that celebrate a culture that may be very foreign to many native speakers of English.

I haven't read the fan translations for the stories in Sword of Destiny -- I read those in French -- but I've read the fan translations of the rest of the books, and I've been amazed at how good they are. They're at least as good as the official translations, and probably better. There are occasional typos, but I find typos in published works, too. (WHY doesn't Laurell K. Hamilton's copy editor correct her constant misspellings of "deity"!)

You needn't be afraid to read the fan translations; they're very good, and all English-speaking Witcher fans owe a big debt to Asheral, Brian, and their occasional collaborators.

Oh, and I'm moving this topic to the Community section, where it belongs.

Corylea said:
I haven't read the fan translations for the stories in Sword of Destiny -- I read those in French -- but I've read the fan translations of the rest of the books, and I've been amazed at how good they are. They're at least as good as the official translations, and probably better. There are occasional typos, but I find typos in published works, too. (WHY doesn't Laurell K. Hamilton's copy editor correct her constant misspellings of "deity"!)

You needn't be afraid to read the fan translations; they're very good, and all English-speaking Witcher fans owe a big debt to Asheral, Brian, and their occasional collaborators.

Oh, and I'm moving this topic to the Community section, where it belongs.
Where do we find French translations?

gab961111 said:
Where do we find French translations?
I bought the book in French from an online bookstore. There aren't any free fan translations in French because there are commercial translations in French, and we don't infringe on those. ;)

Actually, translating TO English is going to leave fewer mistakes (provided that the translator has a proper English vocabulary), than to almost any other language, especially with regards to the way the language of the book is, the proverbs and jokes etc. Why? Because the English language is the largest in the world, and it's the language that has been spoken for a large part of history in large parts of the world. It being spoken in so many places, and second hand by so many people of different origins, has left it with alot of proverbs of non-british/american origin. Most likely some of the proverbs used in Poland is also used by english speakers around the world, as it is with Danish and Swedish. Ofcourse, no translation will ever be perfect, nomatter who does it, but translating TO English will yield the best results.

I haven't read any fan translated books, but if the translator has a proper vocabulary and knows his/her way around the English language pretty well, then I can't see it being any worse off than any other translator, nomatter if the translator is professional or not. Indeed a fan translator might go out of his/her way to find a proper proverb or joke befitting the situation in the book, whereas the professional might not do AS much research into one single joke/proverb.

I would say that the fan translations for The Sword of Destiny (and the later books) are on par with Danusia Stok's official translations of The Last Wish/Blood of Elves. They successfully captured the feeling of the characters and the dry humour, which I'm going to presume were in the original Polish

With The Sword of Destiny, be sure to do a find/replace with Jaskier to Dandelion, or it gets a little jarring

Guest 2812644

Translating into english is usually straight forward. I'm sure the witcher fans will do an excellant job because they add historical context and social prespective when interpeting the authors meaning.

The Sword of Destiny translation was a bit rougher than the later books, but still decent. The books translated after Blood of Elves have been very good.

Mystril86 said:
Actually, translating TO English is going to leave fewer mistakes (provided that the translator has a proper English vocabulary), than to almost any other language, especially with regards to the way the language of the book is, the proverbs and jokes etc. Why? Because the English language is the largest in the world, and it's the language that has been spoken for a large part of history in large parts of the world. It being spoken in so many places, and second hand by so many people of different origins, has left it with alot of proverbs of non-british/american origin. Most likely some of the proverbs used in Poland is also used by english speakers around the world, as it is with Danish and Swedish. Ofcourse, no translation will ever be perfect, nomatter who does it, but translating TO English will yield the best results.

I don't think so. Polish is very different language from English. Some stylistic choices Sapkowski made sound great in Polish and other Slavic languages, and stupid/artifical in English. For example: Sapkowski likes to use dialogs to describe world and characters "as a side effect". Instead of describing who speaks to whom, about what, and how everything looks, he often just shows the reader what characters say and leaves it to reader to deduce what happens, what's the relationship between characters, etc. In Polish each verb contains additional information. Simple example - the word "Przeszłyście?" means "Have you finished going over that?", and also you know hero speaks with a group of woman. If there were males in that group, it would be "Przeszliście?". If the speaker asked only if they started to go, but didn't care if they finished, it would be "Przechodziłyście?", etc. Each word has much more information because of flexion system, and this allows for much more compressed dialogues (but also makes it harder to learn the language..). In English you can read dialogue for a few minutes, and don't know even if the people speaking are alone, or what sex they are. Author has to describe it explicitly to you. In Polish every verb contains such information and some more. This makes for very different usage of language, and translator has to choose some other technique to get similiar effect that author did.

There are much more differences like that, not only on grammatic level, but also in idioms, cultural references, associations of names, colors, tropes, etc. That makes translation between languages from different groups more difficult than translation from Polish to Czech for example. In fact - all Sapkowski books were translated to Russian, Czech, etc right away, then to other languages of nearby countries (that share some culture with Poles) like Lithuania, then to Roman languages like French or Spanish, and only now to English.

All in all - English is a great language, it's modern "lingua franca", but it's not that exceptional. Other languages are just as rich, and have different features, so translation to English isn't always easier than to other languages.

BTW: Latin was the most important language for much longer than English is :)

Guest 2091327

I've actually heard that English is a fairly 'thin' language compared to many others, so when you translate works to English you lose some content or flavour along the way. ajuc's post above could perhaps back up that notion. English, or perhaps Germanic languages more generally, tend to be a bit black and white, while many other languages can be better for describing the grey zones, or have more words for describing small nuances.

Anyway, English's "power" now is strongly linked to the dominant position of the West these last hundreds of years; first the English Empire and now the American. Maybe before we die English will have lost some of this position, and been taken over by Chinese.

Thankfully English is fairly easy to learn because it has so simple grammar, which has played in its favour. Chinese is a whole different world! :eek: Or Arabic for that matter. I tried to learn some, but it was horribly difficult :(

"Equivalence in meaning cannot be taken as a satisfactory criterion for a correct translation." [Umberto Eco] There are three problems (at least, but these three are big ones) that confront every translator.

The first is getting the translation mechanically correct. ajuc did a good job of describing why that is most critically true when translating from (or to) Polish. Polish is a fusional language, and fusional grammar is very foreign to speakers of a strongly non-fusional language such as English. You needn't reflect further than the sad fate of Jimmy Carter's translator.

Even when you have gotten the translation down mechanically, you still have to account for the prosody. The original, read out loud, will create a sound and a cadence that the author meant to create. You have to convey something of the same. Here again, going from a fusional language to an analytic one compounds the problem.

Finally, and this is what separates the master translator from the journeyman, you have to make the idioms of the original accessible to the reader of the translation. There will be learned associations, historical and scholarly references, everything down to the stories your reader grew up with as a child. You need to make the author's use of these accessible to your reader, and only the finest translators have the experience and the way with words to do this well.

This last point is especially important with Sapkowski, who fills his writing with references to Eastern fairy tales, to the work of writers you may never have a chance to read, to the history of Poland and its neighbor countries, and so on. Making all this accessible to a Western reader is a monumental challenge, and the fan translators meet it the only way they can: with their love for the works.

Top Bottom