After BMC play. Toruviel, OR Sheldon?

+
After BMC play. Toruviel, OR Sheldon?

There´s a popular play in SC that is carrying all three Blue Mountain Commandos, a bronze 9 value play with 2 card thinning. Good enough by itself. Now, it can be even better if afterwards we play to capitalize on the two features the BMC play has: boosting by 2 when moved, and putting three units on same row. The two big after BMC plays I am talking about are Toruviel and Sheldon, and let´s compare them.

The optimal Sheldon play is Marching Orders > Barclay Els > Sheldon Skaggs for a 25 value play, including 2 card thinning. It has the pro of inmediate tempo, and the con being that if BMC are killed, then Sheldon decreases its utility.

The optimal Toruviel play is Royal Decree > Isengrim > Toruviel > Ailerenn for 29 value play, including 2 card thinning. It is higher value than Sheldon play and it has the pro of being available even if the BMC are killed, but the big con of needing an extra turn for passing and chances for your opponent to disrupt your play.

I do not think it is a good idea to have both, so I am slightly inclined for Sheldon play. Thoughts?

Sheldon is almost always better in this case. You don't see the opponent immediately countering BMC unless (s)he is playing full control. While Toruviel could be countered during the match by either removing units or locking the card. Incidentally, you don't want to open too early with Toruviel, while you actually want to play Sheldon early on to pressure the opponent.

Depends on how fast you want to get out of the round.
I'd play for Toruviel, especially with Isengrim. If your opponent can counter your BMCs they will do it immediately to prevent Sheldon/Zoltan. However if they don't then most likely they can't, therefor the Isengrim + Toruviel + pass might be better, setting up for the Ailerenn trap.

I kinda agree with luliandrei, bmc are risky, especially in the beginning of the round imo. Nowadays a lot of people play lacerate. I end op using zoltan a lot for the 12 extra points with bmc. Depends a bit if i have a good hailstorm target.
and about toruviel, i ALWAYS use it as my last card in combo with isengrim. Almost everyone has 1 or 2 lock options to counter toruviel

DRK3

Forum veteran
I usually play Toruviel right after the opponent has run out of cards, so he cant counter it but it will still have its effect when he passes.

I dont actually use any cards to move units, but i use the bronze ambush units to bait possible locks or to trick him to play more cards than he needs to beat me in R2.

Top Bottom