[BUG] PS4 Controller on PC - random lock-ups

+
Right, reported to CDR via support ticket but just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.

Issue: Any combat that gets the police involved (another words once they start shooting at V) will result in the PS4 controller 'locking up' (stop responding), once this happens the only option is to use the KB. A disconnect / reconnect of the controller does not fix the issue. Close the game and restart and the controller will work as expected and this doesn't happen with any other combat or gameplay. Controller LED will also go red (one below the touchpad), and this is the only time this happens (LED changing color). The other annoying part is whatever your last movement input was will keep inputting, so if you were turning around you'll keep turning around and around and around....

Things that have been done;

- Reinstalled the controller drivers (native Windows)
- No 3rd party software or mods.
- Tried multiple controllers (PS4)
- Verify and repair on game files
- Tried other games that support PS4 controller natively (e.g. Witcher 3, Snowrunner, etc.), no problems encountered.
- a few hours of Google

No other issues and as stated it works fine until the police arrive and start shooting at you (which seems to happen a LOT more now after 2.0 - thanks CDR). First time it happened I thought it was a netrunner hacking me but after basically standing there and getting shot into a bloody pulp whilst I twirled around like a drunken idiot I realized input had stopped. Several tests later and I believe it has to do with how the game 'activates' a police combat encounter (then again it could be just my paranoid delusion).

And yes I use a controller cause I'm old and can't coordinate the fingers like I use to :(

It'd be great if someone can prove or disprove my theory so I can either crawl under my desk into the fetal position and loathe my life, or celebrate that my dementia is in check and I should have another year or two before I have to really worry.

Rock on and y'all have a great day.

PC Config:
- Win 11 x64
- Intel i7 13700K
- 32Gb RAM
- RTX 4070ti
- Game drive = M.2 2TB Samsung

Right, reported to CDR via support ticket but just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.

Issue: Any combat that gets the police involved (another words once they start shooting at V) will result in the PS4 controller 'locking up' (stop responding), once this happens the only option is to use the KB. A disconnect / reconnect of the controller does not fix the issue. Close the game and restart and the controller will work as expected and this doesn't happen with any other combat or gameplay. Controller LED will also go red (one below the touchpad), and this is the only time this happens (LED changing color). The other annoying part is whatever your last movement input was will keep inputting, so if you were turning around you'll keep turning around and around and around....

Things that have been done;

- Reinstalled the controller drivers (native Windows)
- No 3rd party software or mods.
- Tried multiple controllers (PS4)
- Verify and repair on game files
- Tried other games that support PS4 controller natively (e.g. Witcher 3, Snowrunner, etc.), no problems encountered.
- a few hours of Google

No other issues and as stated it works fine until the police arrive and start shooting at you (which seems to happen a LOT more now after 2.0 - thanks CDR). First time it happened I thought it was a netrunner hacking me but after basically standing there and getting shot into a bloody pulp whilst I twirled around like a drunken idiot I realized input had stopped. Several tests later and I believe it has to do with how the game 'activates' a police combat encounter (then again it could be just my paranoid delusion).

And yes I use a controller cause I'm old and can't coordinate the fingers like I use to :(

It'd be great if someone can prove or disprove my theory so I can either crawl under my desk into the fetal position and loathe my life, or celebrate that my dementia is in check and I should have another year or two before I have to really worry.

Rock on and y'all have a great day.

PC Config:
- Win 11 x64
- Intel i7 13700K
- 32Gb RAM
- RTX 4070ti
- Game drive = M.2 2TB Samsung
I have a somewhat similar issue with a controller, XBOX controller on PC. I use Keyboard and Mouse mainly, but when I drive I like to quickly switch to the controller. Few moments later, the camera starts pointing up without pressing anything for that. If I enter the Map menu, the pointer starts moving towards the top part of the map without touching the controller at all, if I exit vehicle, the central point moves towards the sky. It happened once when I got into a fight with the police and I got my ass whooped because of the bug. Made a ticket as well.

Thanks for the reply, sounds somewhat similar to my issue.

UPDATE: 15/10/2023 - my previous statement about police combat may be inaccurate as in successfully recreating the issue, it now seems to be more random than first thought but it does seem to happen more when using a vehicle or running, Previously I've always used the PS4 controller and it worked fine (600+ hours pre-patches). Post patches and now it will randomly just lock-up.

UPDATE: 30/12/2023 - After purchasing a PS5 DualSense controller and using that via USB cable all of the issues I had with the PS4 controller have gone away. After roughly 20 hours of game play I haven't experienced any of the lock ups that I saw with the PS4 controller.

BTW: I did log a support ticket and after a clean install, enabling / disabling admin compatibility, running the game direct from the .exe. instead of through GOG, nothing seemed to work. Noticed that several peeps were raving on how the DualSense was working great and the added haptic support so I decided to jump and try it. Super happy I did cause as I said, no issues using the PS5 controller.

Here's hoping some choom's find this helpful.!!

Top Bottom