[BUG] - RTX Applies A Chroma Effect To Skin

+
Since 1.63 update and continuing into 2.0; a ton of areas around Night City now clash against RTX by applying an excessively reflective chroma-effect to everyone's skin which makes them appear reflectively golden, as if they're suffering from some sort of severe chrome vitiligo.
  • During the day in affected areas, anyone touched by shadows or even direct sunlight will visibly exhibit this issue.
  • During the night in affected areas, everyone will appear to have incredibly wet skin.
Some of the affected areas;
  • Entirety of Badlands
  • Entire area around Judy's apartment
  • Kabuki area in Watson
  • V & Jackie in Nomad's intro as they're driving towards the border
  • Etc... so many more all over the game.
Here is a showcase of the issue just down the street from Judy's place;

And above Judy's place on the highway;

In the Badlands;

Last edited:
Since the latest 1.63 update, the overpasses above Judy's apartment for some reason apply an extremely shiny chroma effect to V's skin with RTX On during daytime.

Here is a showcase of the issue and how passing a certain treshold gradually removes the effect, so it's not a global bug;

View attachment 11355946View attachment 11355952View attachment 11355949
Try this. https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/8380

I don't know how well it will impact Hybrid RT as I use Path Tracing, but it would appear this is the culprit.

Thanks, but can't use mods ^^

Plus this is just to bring awareness to the bug, not really trying to find unofficial solutions since the purpose is to officially get the issues with the patch acknowledged and fixed.

Cannot use mods because mods invalidate bug reports, so that's what I mean by that. The whole point of playtesting updates and reporting bugs is to get vanilla issues officially acknowledged and fixed.

In any case it's not caused by whatever the mod is supposed to be fixing as I've just tested that ini tweak. In fact in all of my 550 hours of playthrough I've never even seen that happen in my game on RTX Psycho.

Cannot use mods because mods invalidate bug reports, so that's what I mean by that. The whole point of playtesting updates and reporting bugs is to get vanilla issues officially acknowledged and fixed.

In any case it's not caused by whatever the mod is supposed to be fixing as I've just tested that ini tweak. In fact in all of my 550 hours of playthrough I've never even seen that happen in my game on RTX Psycho.
Ahh, I get ya.

Yeah, I dunno. It's different from the glowing skin not that I'm looking closer. Is it like that indoors as well?
Looks like something to do with GI given how yellow it is.

Is it like that indoors as well?
Nope, just tied to that specific area of overpasses above Judy's apartment between 6AM and around 10PM (daytime), which goes away by leaving the affected area as is showcased in the video or waiting until night arrives, so it's specifically location based during daytime.

But I haven't done extensive testing so could be more locations possibly (hopefully not). I checked the overpasses near the Megabuilding 10 and such, but they're fine.

Hm... I hope it's not the entire Badlands weather because it already has one major bug which causes an incredibly blinding light in vehicles, but looks like it now applies to RTX as well.

Please report it officially to Support too, as I've already sent my report so waiting to hear from them.

Last edited:
+1 to this, turning off RTX reflection fix this, it's definitely a bug. Really annoying, lucky for people who doesn't have RTX cards won't have to suffer this bug haha :coolstory:

+1 to this, turning off RTX reflection fix this, it's definitely a bug. Really annoying, lucky for people who doesn't have RTX cards won't have to suffer this bug haha :coolstory:

I was so excited about retiring my good old reliable GTX 970 card with the newer RTX card but #$^%$ I am running into a lot of annoying bugs directly related to RTX.

Not just CP2077 but other games like my beloved Fallout 4 and outer worlds and others.

Should I have stuck with the best GTX I could get now instead?

Would a GeForce GTX 1660 run phantom liberty?

Guest 4561861

My (normally flawed) thinking is that CDPR and Nvidia are using CP2077 as a test bench for drivers and ways to make the game(s) look as great as possible on the latest Nvidia hardware. I 've had a 3090 for a long tine and ray tracing always looked great on it until the 40x0 cards came out and drivers changed. It's unlikely Nvidia and CDPR are not testing the changes on anything else.

This also happens to the area where the fixer El Capitan is waiting. and in some other places too. I hope it gets fixed in 2.0. the only solution right now seems to be to turn rt reflections off, but this severely lowers the quality of rtx in general.

Yeah unfortunately a TON of bugs reported over these last 12 months haven't been addressed at all, so hopefully now that the massive overhauls are out they will focus more on squashing all the bugs that were reported.

On a positive note 2.0 is absolutely fantastic, so I'm not too bummed out for not seeing a massive bug fix patch that addresses all the bugs :D

i wasn't getting this bug after 1.63 but now it's been showing up - seems to mostly happen when there's a lot of indirect light: when the character is in shadows, when the ground is really bright, or when it's just before sunrise.

Path tracing fixes it, but that's not really an option for everyone with an RT graphics card, and personally it forces me to use DLSS which causes equally annoying visual artifacts with hair that have never been addressed.

I swear, it's driving me absolutely insane how CDPR has a tendency to break visuals, and then just not fix them FOREVER. In a game that lives from its visuals and immersion, these things just make me absolutely mad. It's the same with the eye catchlights they broke, and then just left like that forever.

Nothing gives me a nice immersion boost than Jackie in Nomad's intro being fully chrome-domed in gold skin as we're driving to the border checkpoint :D

Top Bottom