Can't Access Phone Bug

+
Icon for the phone disappeared from the HUD sometime right before getting "The Damned" Quest. I've got two quests that are locked out as they require me to text back on the phone. I can still press T to answer incoming calls when they come in but when trying to open the phone with T it just gives the "You can't do that right now message." Loaded an old save from about 10hr ago before starting any the Phantom Liberty DLC and the phone is back working. Loading any save past starting the DLC and the phone it gone again. I've restarted the game a few times and ran a game integrity check but still nothing. All one PC, no mods, and new save as of 2.0 update.

1696001317074.jpeg

That's annoying :(
I guess you can't reload a save created just before the issue appeared?
Anyway, I suggest to send a ticket to the support right away. The sooner, the better knowing a patch in on a way ("contact us" button).

All saves once I started the DLC have the same issue even though I know it was working at the time for some of them, unfortunately. Fingers crossed the next patch fixes it.

I am experience "you can't do that right now" for various actions such as pressing 8 to see a text message or opening my phone. This started with patch 2.1.

Having this exact issue at the exact same place. I'm about to start "The Damned" and my phone disappeared at some point I was completing "Gimme Danger" for Takemura.

I've tried all the CTE console commands (Game.GetQuestsSystem():SetFactStr("holo_force_reset", 1) et. al) with no luck. I can answer calls though no UI elements related to it appear, but every time I try and use the phone I get a "You can't use that right now", and the phone icon doesn't appear in the D-pad area.

Tried reloading saves from hours before, it's still there, tried the Jig Jig Joytoy, it's still there (though it did at least make the lower left UI re-appear), so I really have no idea what's at work here.

I feel like I'm stuck waiting on a patch for an issue that's existed for 3 years now, and so likely will remain unfixed.

I have this same issue, to a point in which i simply have now to stop playing altogether. I can't progress with the main story, can't progress with Phantom Liberty story, can't even go and sleep because if i do, then the fast travel spots and the "skip time" feature gets disabled once i wake up.

I feel very dissappointed right now, this is not a new game that just recently launched... having this type of game-breaking problems, 3 YEARS IN, is simply difficult to justify, specially coming from the same team that gave us The Witcher series, and particulariy painful to returning players like me, who just resumed the game recently (had to stop due to all the issues the game had at launch), purchased the new DLC recently assuming enough time had passed for them to fix it... and here i am, on a sunday morning, writing this instead of playing.

c'mon guys, get your act together!

BTW i opened a ticket, and all i got in response was a "yes, we are aware of the issue, and currently looking into it"... i mean, you guys already have 3 YEARS LOOKING INTO IT... please stop staring at the issue and just fix whatever needs fixing!

If you guys made the choice to make the phone/texts so istrumental and linked to so many instances of the game, then you should have made sure the feature was going to work

I had this happen during Birds with Broken Wings. There's the part where you optionally visit Alex at her bar and talk to her. During this interaction, the phone got disabled and, I think, somehow missed being re-enabled. If I loaded the autosave right after leaving the bar, the phone would reappear for a few seconds and then disappear. Then Reed would call. I'd be able to take the call and hear him, but couldn't see his holo image. Then the phone remained inaccessible.

I loaded a save before meeting Alex at the bar and ran through it again. It worked. I suspect this can sometimes be caused by fast-forwarding/skipping dialogue during a conversation. The game will miss the trigger to re-enable stuff it locked out during a mission. Something like that.

I tend to make a manual save at the start of every quest and then keep a half dozen of them in case I ever need to roll back a bit. I do that on a lot of games these days.

I'm so screwed right now that i can't even do ANY regular side mission, because even if the mission itself doesn't have any phone/text interactions, sometimes i do get some random call in the middle of it (last time it happened, Judy called), and once that call hits, i then can't even make dialog selections... pretty much EVERYTHING gets locked as if i was in the middle of a call. it's been so frustrating, i have literally tried all and every possible solution i found online, and the closest save i could find without the bug is TENTHS of hours back. I would have to pretty much start Phantom Liberty all over again... if forced to make a do-over (which BTW won't guarantee the bug will not happen again) i rather stop altoghether and ask for a refund on the DLC.

3 YEARS IN, is simply difficult to justify, specially coming from the same team that gave us The Witcher series,
i know it doesnt help but a lot of the witcher devs are gone for various reasons since the release 3 years back than.... just for understanding that most probably a lot of devs who are working on patching/bugfixing are not the once who originally worked on the game before... its not the same team anymore : /

Last edited:
I have this same issue, to a point in which i simply have now to stop playing altogether. I can't progress with the main story, can't progress with Phantom Liberty story, can't even go and sleep because if i do, then the fast travel spots and the "skip time" feature gets disabled once i wake up.

I feel very dissappointed right now, this is not a new game that just recently launched... having this type of game-breaking problems, 3 YEARS IN, is simply difficult to justify, specially coming from the same team that gave us The Witcher series, and particulariy painful to returning players like me, who just resumed the game recently (had to stop due to all the issues the game had at launch), purchased the new DLC recently assuming enough time had passed for them to fix it... and here i am, on a sunday morning, writing this instead of playing.

c'mon guys, get your act together!

BTW i opened a ticket, and all i got in response was a "yes, we are aware of the issue, and currently looking into it"... i mean, you guys already have 3 YEARS LOOKING INTO IT... please stop staring at the issue and just fix whatever needs fixing! This pissed me off so much that I decided to change the game. Now I look for winning strategies in online putto and play there. I recently came across https://kaszinoworld.com/putto/ and I was hooked that there were winning numbers. I like to get things done and not stop halfway. If you guys made the choice to make the phone/texts so istrumental and linked to so many instances of the game, then you should have made sure the feature was going to work

It didn't stop me, but last time I had to search online for someone else's saves. It wasn't very pleasant to lose all my own progress. It really should have been fixed a long time ago.

Last edited:
I don't post online much at all on any forum, but thought I'd chime in here. Playing on PC, most updated version (2.12) and no mods. Same issue just happened to me yesterday. @Zem, same spot, during the Broken Wings mission after my conversation with Alex in the bar. I left the bar, Reed called and had a quick conversation but all of my HUD options disappeared (phone, calling a vehicle, etc). When I tried to bring up the phone I got "you can't do that right now". I played for about an hour afterward, just shooting up stuff, exploring but nothing changed.

I tried the following with no success:
1. Reloading the same save outside of the bar
2. Reloading a previous save and running through the bar conversation again without skipping dialogue. As soon as I exited everything disappeared again
3. Dying and starting from the last checkpoint (some said this fixed for them)
4. Restarting the game
5. Steam option of checking file integrity
6. Removing and reinstalling the game

I read on some forums going to Jig-Jig street for a JoyToy fixed the issue for some folks. I tried that and for whatever reason all of my on screen options re-appeared...except for the phone!

I also read somewhere to go to V's apartment and access a braindance. I went to my original apartment and had a quick conversation with Johnny Silverhand. After that conversation ended, everything came back including the phone. I'm glad it's back but I have no idea why the fix is so different for some people and others still have no fix. I was ready to shelve this and come back after another patch, but it's disconcerting to see some of the original complaints of this issue going back at least 6 months. Doesn't give me hope that a fix is around the corner.

Top Bottom