CDPR situation - Open letter

+
I agree that Kerry romance is bad, but I would say that it came from the opposite field. It is so stereotypical in comparison to the other romance options that I would even go as far as to say that it's lined with homophobia.

Who's the straight male romance option? An NCPD guy with a golden heart who will do anything for his family. Absolutely lovable character with strong morals.

Who's the gay male romance option? A spoiled rockstar, who will hire a cook or gardner based solely on their look with absolute disregard to any of their skills, who is so focused on his carrer that he go as far as to blow up cars and threat teenagers with a gun. Not to mention he must be like 70+, which is a bit creepy when V is in his twenties. I mean, WTH CDP?! As a part of "the gay crowd" I'm pretty sure it wasn't a nod to me at all.
I am careful not to get into sexual moralism, what two consenting adults get up to with each other is none of my business. Besides, in a world where 70 year olds can alter their appearance to look like they are 30, it is not beyond the realm of believable that actual age becomes a much smaller issue in developing sexual relationships.

But age in general is treated very strangely in Cyberpunk 2077. These 70-80 year old people do not act with the maturity and experience that you would expect from someone who has lived that long. It is as if Bill ward came back from the dead and find Ozzy Osbourne still behaving like he did in the 1970's. Their reactions and relationship with Johnny feels more like he has been gone for maybe 5-10 years. But 50 years is an entire lifetime, they would have lived entire lives filled with experiences, and it's like nothing really happened to them while Johnny was away. It is as if the appearance they created for the characters fooled the writers themselves and they started writing dialogue and story as if these people were in their early 30's rather than late 70's. I really don't think I will act like I did in my early twenties when I am 80 and I certainly hope I won't.

This is what strikes a weird tone to me with the relationship with Kerry. If he was a mature person who was able to offer some perspective, wisdom, guidance and companionship with V, I think the development of their relationship could have been a much stronger story. The game is supposed to be mature and not shy away from such content, so why not explore daddy issues full on, instead of pretending it's like any other relationship between V and people the same age?

I am careful not to get into sexual moralism, what two consenting adults get up to with each other is none of my business. Besides, in a world where 70 year olds can alter their appearance to look like they are 30, it is not beyond the realm of believable that actual age becomes a much smaller issue in developing sexual relationships.

But age in general is treated very strangely in Cyberpunk 2077. These 70-80 year old people do not act with the maturity and experience that you would expect from someone who has lived that long. It is as if Bill ward came back from the dead and find Ozzy Osbourne still behaving like he did in the 1970's. Their reactions and relationship with Johnny feels more like he has been gone for maybe 5-10 years. But 50 years is an entire lifetime, they would have lived entire lives filled with experiences, and it's like nothing really happened to them while Johnny was away. It is as if the appearance they created for the characters fooled the writers themselves and they started writing dialogue and story as if these people were in their early 30's rather than late 70's. I really don't think I will act like I did in my early twenties when I am 80 and I certainly hope I won't.

This is what strikes a weird tone to me with the relationship with Kerry. If he was a mature person who was able to offer some perspective, wisdom, guidance and companionship with V, I think the development of their relationship could have been a much stronger story. The game is supposed to be mature and not shy away from such content, so why not explore daddy issues full on, instead of pretending it's like any other relationship between V and people the same age?
Yeah, I probably could have been more specific, but this is exactly what I had in mind when mentioning Kerry's age. It's creepy that he is old, sounds rather old, but his behaviour is far from anything anyone could have anticipated from someone who lived for so long and probably seen a lot in his life. And he likes to surrounds himself with young, handsome men. Gives me a bit of Madonna vibe.

Yeah, I probably could have been more specific, but this is exactly what I had in mind when mentioning Kerry's age. It's creepy that he is old, sounds rather old, but his behaviour is far from anything anyone could have anticipated from someone who lived for so long and probably seen a lot in his life. And he likes to surrounds himself with young, handsome men. Gives me a bit of Madonna vibe.

Or Joe Exotic :p

What you describe here about the characters, i pretty much a symptom of the game being unfinished
I somewhat compare it to a puzzle that was half assembled, the vision of it was already really good
looking. Then someone flipped the table, new start happend with new tiles that weren t as suiting
as the first ones. As consequence (to get a somewhat complete picture in the end) huge junks of that
puzzle where taken away and the rest was cut to suit together somehow.

Now we have a half finished puzzle that SHOWs the picture but ever second tile is poking out, or leaves
hole, so the whole picture that the puzzle intents to show is warped.

Top Bottom