CDPR vindicated those who doubted their promise

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Toxic gamers weren't making their lives/jobs any easier. People seem to forget about that part. NO ONE should be getting death threats online.
I agree fully, but im also questioning how big the portion of idiots that did this. Its never ok, dont get me wrong but people are getting it from the most silly reasons these days.

After the last delay i kinda got pretty dissapointed too, i hade taken time off work and other things in prep for it (i did it every release date, my boss was not happy!!) I think the biggest mistake they made were giving out dates way too early. Either there were some giant miss communications or the higherups simply were not listening too there developers. Whatever the reasons it was a giant fail.

Seems they learned there lesson tho, they have not set a specific date since so im hoping they stick too this untill they really know when the will be able too release it.

This. Toxic gamers weren't making their lives/jobs any easier. People seem to forget about that part. NO ONE should be getting death threats online.

Quick correction.

I agree fully, but im also questioning how big the portion of idiots that did this. Its never ok, dont get me wrong but people are getting it from the most silly reasons these days.

I mean no offense but this is rather irrelevant. It shouldn't happen at all regardless of how many are doing it. Even a single individual is too many. Anonymity is both a blessing and a curse.

After the last delay i kinda got pretty dissapointed too, i hade taken time off work and other things in prep for it (i did it every release date, my boss was not happy!!) I think the biggest mistake they made were giving out dates way too early. Either there were some giant miss communications or the higherups simply were not listening too there developers. Whatever the reasons it was a giant fail.

Seems they learned there lesson tho, they have not set a specific date since so im hoping they stick too this untill they really know when the will be able too release it.

I get the disappointment. I was disappointed myself. I had not taken time off like some many others (my time off lined up perfectly with the actual release date by pure coincidence having been booked before the last delay). The issue is that a lot of people held CDPR responsible for "wasting" their time off. Which is just absolutely bonkers. CDPR (or any other company) can't be held responsible for anyone's personal choices but somehow gamers have a tendency to blame just about any problem in their lives on developers when things don't go the way they want. :shrug:

Note that I'm not saying that's what you're doing at all, you don't give me that impression from your post. It's entirely generally speaking.

Luckily, as you've said, they've learned their lesson. They might've taken the lesson a little too close to heart and are being overly silent IMO.

I mean no offense but this is rather irrelevant. It shouldn't happen at all regardless of how many are doing it. Even a single individual is too many. Anonymity is both a blessing and a curse.

I get the disappointment. I was disappointed myself. I had not taken time off like some many others (my time off lined up perfectly with the actual release date by pure coincidence having been booked before the last delay). The issue is that a lot of people held CDPR responsible for "wasting" their time off. Which is just absolutely bonkers. CDPR (or any other company) can't be held responsible for anyone's personal choices but somehow gamers have a tendency to blame just about any problem in their lives on developers when things don't go the way they want. :shrug:

Note that I'm not saying that's what you're doing at all, you don't give me that impression from your post. It's entirely generally speaking.

Luckily, as you've said, they've learned their lesson. They might've taken the lesson a little too close to heart and are being overly silent IMO.
I dont mean too sound flippant about it and i agree its never ok and should not be accepted. But people tent too see the idiots doing it as the majority and thats probably not the case. I did not even make an angry post about it because i knew it wasent the devs fault. Yet i get lumped in with the idiots that behaved badly witch kinda annoys me.

Not quite sure i get the problems in there lifes bit but. Yes it was my personal choice too take time off for the game releases but its quite irritating when they seem too be dreamed up(especially since they said multiple times it was coming out that dates and then it dident). I get that shit happends but i kinda think they should have delayed it way more the first time instead. Or just not give a specific date untill they got closer too completing the game. Q4 would have been the smartest way of avoiding that i guess.

Yea kinda agree there with the too silent instead, very little info has been given out ahead of time since. Witch is both good and bad i guess.

I dont mean too sound flippant about it and i agree its never ok and should not be accepted. But people tent too see the idiots doing it as the majority and thats probably not the case. I did not even make an angry post about it because i knew it wasent the devs fault. Yet i get lumped in with the idiots that behaved badly witch kinda annoys me.

I don't think most people think it's the majority making these death threats. I think pretty much everyone recognizes it's a minority, just a very vocal one and each time they stand out greatly because of how fucked up that behavior is.

Not quite sure i get the problems in there lifes bit but. Yes it was my personal choice too take time off for the game releases but its quite irritating when they seem too be dreamed up(especially since they said multiple times it was coming out that dates and then it dident). I get that shit happends but i kinda think they should have delayed it way more the first time instead. Or just not give a specific date untill they got closer too completing the game. Q4 would have been the smartest way of avoiding that i guess.

Again, most of my post isn't aimed at you specifically. Or at all in fact. You don't strike me as one of the angry ones. I do agree they should've pushed back way more than they did. I've said it before and I'll say it again - patch 1.3 is the bare minimum at which the game should've been acceptable to release. Ideally it would've launched in the shape it is now.

That's the nature of product development though. As you've said, shit happens. That's true of any product out there. I get the annoyance at the delays. I mean, even right now I'm disappointed the expansion is only coming out next year but it's the nature of the beast and there nothing I can do about it so it's a very "meh" issue for me. Then again, this time we have no dates so less potential for future disappointment.

I don't think most people think it's the majority making these death threats. I think pretty much everyone recognizes it's a minority, just a very vocal one and each time they stand out greatly because of how fucked up that behavior is.

Again, most of my post isn't aimed at you specifically. Or at all in fact. You don't strike me as one of the angry ones. I do agree they should've pushed back way more than they did. I've said it before and I'll say it again - patch 1.3 is the bare minimum at which the game should've been acceptable to release. Ideally it would've launched in the shape it is now.

That's the nature of product development though. As you've said, shit happens. That's true of any product out there. I get the annoyance at the delays. I mean, even right now I'm disappointed the expansion is only coming out next year but it's the nature of the beast and there nothing I can do about it so it's a very "meh" issue for me. Then again, this time we have no dates so less potential for future disappointment.
Yea no problems it seems we do agree on most of it after all :)

Im pretty disappointed about the 2023 release too since there will probably be alot of new good games out by then. Im not so sure ill even buy the expansion tbh, hopefully we get some info soonish about it (other then leaks that is). Seems this game isent for me and i doubt the expansion will really change that. Voting with your wallet is the only thing you can really do about that so i will be very careful going forward concerning CDPR.

Yea no problems it seems we do agree on most of it after all :)

Im pretty disappointed about the 2023 release too since there will probably be alot of new good games out by then. Im not so sure ill even buy the expansion tbh, hopefully we get some info soonish about it (other then leaks that is). Seems this game isent for me and i doubt the expansion will really change that. Voting with your wallet is the only thing you can really do about that so i will be very careful going forward concerning CDPR.

Yeah, if the base game isn't for you, chances are the expansion won't either and voting with your wallet is definitely the best way to make your disappointment heard.

I'll most likely buy the expansion, I love the game despite it's issues.

I suppose it's a bug :(
In lower camo's version, it's (very) weird because they still see you. With the legendary one, they never see you when it's active.
Optical Camo & Ashura

Shoot and move
Post automatically merged:

Was proof of this actually shown?

I hear a lot about this with Toxic fans but haven't seen any proof

Very true, and CDPR immediately owned this. I know it looks bad. Everyone knows it looks bad. CDPR definitely knows it looks bad. And that's why Iwinski himself stepped squarely forward, acknowledged it, and offered unconditional compensation to anyone that asked for it. The studio made sure that everyone was made whole.

It's simply not possible to avoid situations like this altogether when dealing with projects of this size. Especially not with all of the added complications of the worst, global pandemic in living memory. It was just a recipe for disaster, and while I wouldn't call the final result "disastrous", it definitely burned.

If the studio can put as much work as they obviously have into a game this big, completely admit their mistakes and willingly offer reimbursements, then continue to pour heart and soul into the project despite all the bad publicity, ultimately creating a very polished experience...and people still want to fume and grudge over it...

...no one can help those individuals. They're on their own.

Yea kinda agree there with the too silent instead, very little info has been given out ahead of time since. Witch is both good and bad i guess.
Reinforcing that this is a very valid argument -- that it should not ever happen. But it will. And even the "idiots" that you're referring to largely aren't idiots at all, nor intentionally trying to take advantage. There are very, very few producers and studios that handle their "business" like EA. It is going to be an extremely rare instance that something as blatantly dishonest as what happened with No Man's Sky occurs. Mostly, the sorts of "idiotic" situations that develop come from the same, simple scenario:

It took far longer and was far more complicated to achieve what the studio set out to achieve than they initially realized. After legendary efforts by the creators, they just couldn't get everything they wanted done at the level they wanted. Instead, they eventually ran out of funding or reached the limits of what they now knew they would be able to achieve. They put everything together as well as they could, and they released a product that works as well as possible. (Probably hoping and praying that they make enough sales to generate the revenue they need to continue working on it.)

Probably the most common argument between any studio with its producer is going to be the studio going, "We really, really need more money! We can really nail this, but it's bigger than we thought!" and the producer going, "This is, like, the fifth time you're asking. We've got nothing left to give you. You need to hit the last deadline we agreed upon."

When you remove the producer...nothing prevents an indie studio from biting off absolutely enormous chunks...then discovering: "Oh...shit." And they have no producers to fall back on.

So, simply saying, "It should never happen," is true -- it shouldn't -- but it's also unrealistic idealism. That's not how fallible human beings work. With anything. (And anyone arguing that either lacks professional experience or is trying to sell something.)

There's a difference between holding someone responsible...and trying to lay blame. Accounting for responsibility is constructive and solves problems directly. Laying blame is nothing but noise and nonsense, and it actively denies reality, preventing progress and creating even more problems.

Only one of these pathways has a future.

Definitely not. And believe me when I tell you that this had no impact on CDPR's decision to release the game when they did. It had very little impact, overall. Believe it or not, CP2077 was not the first game that CDPR delayed...repeatedly. They're used to getting death threats and vile, animalistic messages from people out there with no respect for themselves or anyone else.

There's an entire legal department for stuff like that. It's open and shut. And I strongly recommend against any sort of behavior like that. (I'm talking from personal experience as an educator, now. There's no such thing as true anonymity on the internet. If you use the web, you will leave a digital footprint wherever you go. All it takes is a little cooperation from authorities, and anyone's activity can be tracked to a front door.)

Last edited:
There's no such thing as true anonymity on the internet. If you use the web, you will leave a digital footprint wherever you go. All it takes is a little cooperation from authorities, and anyone's activity can be tracked to a front door.)

True, but there are ever more accessible ways of reducing that footprint to such an extent that most law enforcement organizations don't have the resources to spend on chasing threats that are most likely not credible. Not to mention that death threats don't necessarily come with serious consequences. They might find you and come knocking on your door but it doesn't mean you'll be facing any consequences worthy of being mentioned.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Was looking for actual examples of the threats not people claiming they exist

I see not a single user name listed. Just what appears to be messages
I've had a bunch actually. In Discord, in Steam DMs...either I should die or I should kill myself. Depending. Typically accompanying a racial/misogynistic slur. One or two on the official forums, some really bad ones, actually, now I think of it. Doxxed a couple times, with threats, once on Reddit iirc, once on Steam. One an actual found-me doxxing, another someone just using personal images I posted online to say horrid things about my kids and wife.

Usual internet powerless-trying-for-power.

Not gonna share the images here, for multiple reasons: they're horrid and of course I could just photoshop them, so what would that prove anyway?

Same for devs sharing the threats. Too horrid to share and/or Legal is involved. I think you might be able to find an archived tweet or something online if you looked hard enough?

Or did you really think the devs were making those claims up?

Before release, it was kind of nuts, yep. Release was still full of errors, but 20/20 hindsight is so easy. I haven't seen a whole lot of the people in my screencaps show up to apologize and admit, yes, maybe they were wrong to be so demanding and impatient.

Anyway. On this glum note, this thread is kind of just a big ol' CDPR Sucks thread with multiple interventions from moderation. Probably going to close it soon if it doesn't go somewhere useful-ish.

I've had a bunch actually. In Discord, in Steam DMs...either I should die or I should kill myself. Depending. Typically accompanying a racial/misogynistic slur. One or two on the official forums, some really bad ones, actually, now I think of it. Doxxed a couple times, with threats, once on Reddit iirc, once on Steam. One an actual found-me doxxing, another someone just using personal images I posted online to say horrid things about my kids and wife.

Anyway. On this glum note, this thread is kind of just a big ol' CDPR Sucks thread with multiple interventions from moderation. Probably going to close it soon if it doesn't go somewhere useful-ish.
Thats sucks, sorry that that happend. I dont get people that get that angry or impatient..

Yea sadly these threads seem too end up in the same arguments over an over. Its a shame but i did get some useful discussion outa it.

If CDPR did something game wise these threads might not constantly pop up though.

To many fans(?) are getting tired of waiting for nothing

Was looking for actual examples of the threats not people claiming they exist

I see not a single user name listed. Just what appears to be messages

You'll never get these message unless you're reading them yourself. They get taken off extremely quickly and despite being fucked up behavior, no, devs can't just show them in full because:

Too horrid to share and/or Legal is involved.

This.

Again, and as @Sardukhar also pointed out, you can go looking for those if you're so inclined. It's really just a Google search away. You'll find plenty of examples. It happens. A lot. So unless you believe in some grand conspiracy from developers....

Hell, there was some pretty nasty shit here during the first few days. Things just a barely a notch below actual threats.

Then again, maybe there is some kind of archive around where you can see the full tweets or messages.

As a side note, sorry to hear that @Sardukhar. Pretty fucked up behavior.

I heard the game was releasing and pre-ordered

I avoided all the news, hype and promos.
(No social media)
I don't interact with humans much.

But this behavior from them isn't surprising.

I heard the game was releasing and pre-ordered

I avoided all the news, hype and promos.
(No social media)
I don't interact with humans much.

But this behavior from them isn't surprising.
Sadly true. At least on the internet.

Also, for anyone concerned (thanks, Grim and Not!) I'm fine and was unstressed. Moderation means a certain amount of consequence. Certain venues also attract certain behaviours as well. It did teach me to be more careful with personal stuff online though! A lesson I should already know, but hey. There you go. Never too old to learn.

Sadly true. At least on the internet.

Also, for anyone concerned (thanks, Grim and Not!) I'm fine and was unstressed. Moderation means a certain amount of consequence. Certain venues also attract certain behaviours as well. It did teach me to be more careful with personal stuff online though! A lesson I should already know, but hey. There you go. Never too old to learn.
It's pretty horrible. I think a good rule for posting online is that, even in the nicest of fora, it only takes one crazy person in a thousand to mess everything up. I learnt that the hard way when a lunatic managed to work out who I was and find my postal address from comments on a newspaper forum. It flipped my view 180 degrees from "everywhere should have a real name policy" to "real names and almost any personal info can be a really bad idea".

That said, I have no respect for the disproportionate number of people in communities like gaming who seem prone to sending the most horrific abuse in response to eg release dates being moved. They might as well put a sign above their heads saying "I am pathetic". They're computer games. They're toys. I mean, seriously, get a life and have some self respect.

It's pretty horrible. I think a good rule for posting online is that, even in the nicest of fora, it only takes one crazy person in a thousand to mess everything up. I learnt that the hard way when a lunatic managed to work out who I was and find my postal address from comments on a newspaper forum. It flipped my view 180 degrees from "everywhere should have a real name policy" to "real names and almost any personal info can be a really bad idea".

Had a similar experience myself.

Worked with a French firm that specializes in finding and eliminating content you might want off the internet. Basically they find it and do the necessary to have it removed for you. They take care of everything.

Naturally these guys were obscenely good at finding stuff online and one day we were discussing things and I got curious. Almost taunted them into finding stuff on me. It took them a disturbingly low amount of time to find a disturbingly high amount of information about my personal life with nothing more than my face and my first name.

Taught me a lesson in online security.

But the structure of the story is a lot better than games like Skyrim, where it's all:
"We need to get word to Whiterun as soon as we can!"
"Find the dragonstone tablet. Time is running out!"
"There's a dragon attacking! Hurry! Follow me!"
"You need to head to High Hrothgar immediately. There's no denying the Greybeards!"
"We've found out where the next dragon will rise! We need to get there first!"
"Hurry!"
"Go quickly!!"
"Now!!!"
...etc.

The trouble with that sort of storytelling is that everything is always at maximum urgency. If everything is always high-pressure...then nothing is. It's flat. In order for intense moments to feel intense, they need to be rare.
This is a complete fabrication as Skyrim gives player a lot more opportunities to stray away from main storyline than CP77. Hell, one of the very first thing that either Hadvar or Ralof says to the player after escaping Helgen is "It's probably better if we split up" giving player a perfect opportunity to do pretty much anything else.

People tend to exaggerate Skyrim's main storyline urgency from the very beginning, probably because they as the player know that the main character is the Dragonborn (or because instead of actually listening to what NPCs are saying they are thoughtlessly following quest's prompts), but they often don't take into account what the character in game knows at this very point. In reality untill A Blade in the Dark, a 7th (of 17) quest in the main storyline, the stakes aren't really that high - there are some dragon's, the Dragonborn was summoned to the High Hrothgar, but it wasn't even revealed yet that it's Alduin who is behind all this. Even Greybeards, who by their very life philosophy are the opposite of hastines and urgency, tasks Dragonborn to retrieve the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller when they are ready, so it is really up to the player to decide how they want to play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom