Character Appearance Thread

+
Choice for choice's sake is a bad idea. I like when the protagonist fits art direction and aesthetic of the world. And who knows better than people who created it?
... and you can create such a character. How does it affect your game when others have the freedom to create strange or bizarre characters for their games???

... and you can create such a character. How does it affect your game when others have the freedom to create strange or bizarre characters for their games???
In single player games it doesn't. Everyone is free to create their own experience. But if the game hits multiplayer, I don't want to see abominations around me. It spoils experience and immersion.

And to be fair, character editor is a useless gimmick, especially in single player games. Millions played WoW without sliders and they were fine. VtmB doesn't allow people adjust looks and it's still regarded as one of the finest RPG experiences ever. Or Baldur's Gate. Or Deus Ex. Or Planescape Torment. Or The Witcher. I'd rather have something predefined of great quality than generic crap like TES, Inquisition or Bethesda's Fallout. Mass Effect did it right with male Shepard, at least. Gave us great default look and allowed people to create their monsters.

Last edited:
It effects everyone because there are a lot of resources that go into syncing up facial animations with voice acted dialogue with a huge number of potential facial structures. Limiting the number of facial structures to a smaller number - say 10-16 presets means they can pay a lot more attention to detail on each of the available facial structures. Which means higher quality visuals for face animations at the end of the day for everyone.

It's about striking the balance between visuals & storytelling with customization and choice for the players. I think doing presets with lots of options for style like hair, tattoos, eye color, scars and stuff like that makes a lot of sense design wise.

In single player games it doesn't. Everyone is free to create their own experience. But if the game hits multiplayer, I don't want to see abominations around me. It spoils experience and immersion.

And to be fair, character editor is a useless gimmick, especially in single player games. Millions played WoW without sliders and they were fine. VtmB doesn't allow people adjust looks and it's still regarded as one of the finest RPG experiences ever. Or Baldur's Gate. Or Deus Ex. Or Planescape Torment. Or The Witcher. I'd rather have something predefined of great quality than generic crap like TES, Inquisition or Bethesda's Fallout. Mass Effect did it right with male Shepard, at least. Gave us great default look and allowed people to create their monsters.
Just because you'd prefer or like something doesn't make the opposite a useless gimmick.

And, this is a singleplayer game first and foremost, so frankly, it's none of my concern how the multiplayer experience plays out. That's another issue for another day. Limiting player choice in character creation is a horrendous way to try to solve a problem that doesn't even exist.

Besides, many sliders aren't really "sliders" in the conventional sense. Rather, they're different nose/ear shape presets.

I'd be happy with that. You can start with an ordinary preset, and then choose individual presets for different facial parts (As well as a slider for body type). Different nose, ear and eye shapes.

If all we have is "pick from 5 faces, pick from 10 eye colors, now add some tattoos and make your guy buff or fat" yeah, not interested, thanks. Because i'm not making my own character then.

As long as there are quality presets to choose from... I don't want to waste my time picking a nose out of 30 variants. 5 faces for each race and 30 hairstyles will do. Well, even one default face will do.

The idea behind this game is a sense of role play by creating character choices and a world dynamic that fits the players own vision. Not being able to mould the look of your character to fit the personality you want to portray doesn't make a lot of sense when you want to have a character you can identify with on some level. And that means having more than just multiple choices for hairstyle/colour and tattoos.

The Eve Online video I linked in my original post clearly has limitations as to how far you can push the character model, compared to say, Fallout 4. Which would likely not hinder the animations as a detriment to one's sense of immersion.

Having presets is fine, as long as I can make small adjustments here and there. Make the lips thinner or plumper, adjust where the hood is on the eye or the shape of the eye, (almond, round, etc...) thin/wide nose, wider/slimmer jaw, rounded/pointed chin or gaunt/puffy cheeks. All of these can be done in such a limited manner that doesn't affect animation but gives enough to create a unique face and become a representation of the character we want to play as.

The above way seems ideal to me. For those who don't want to fuddle with character creator, well, you have presets to choose from. For those of us who do, we can make adjustments to those preset faces that meet our preferences. Sounds like a win/win to me. :)

I don't want to waste my time picking a nose out of 30 variants. 5 faces for each race and 30 hairstyles will do. Well, even one default face will do.
Then you don't have to. Doesn't mean everybody else has to be prevented from doing so as well.

The above way seems ideal to me. For those who don't want to fuddle with character creator, well, you have presets to choose from. For those of us who do, we can make adjustments to those preset faces that meet our preferences. Sounds like a win/win to me. :)

Yes, precisely. I'm not asking for full, Mount & Blade-style facial sliders here or Fallout 4/sims level of sculpting.

You can push Eve characters pretty far:

Also, not being able to indentify with the character you play if you can't adjust his/her looks is pure BS.

Also, not being able to indentify with the character you play if you can't adjust his/her looks is pure BS.

Good god. lol

- - - - -

Edited to add: Too distracted by the photo, didn't notice the comment below it....

It's not BS. Take The Division for example, I didn't like any of their presets, no offense to the creators, they just didn't strike my liking. One's enjoyment of a game can be affected by it. Does it mean that I'd refuse to get the game, hell no. But there's nothing wrong with or BS about having preferences with playing a character that you find most appealing to your own taste.

Like all of us here, we want to play a game that meets our hopes and preferences as much as possible. So there's nothing wrong with asking for, (while the game is still in the state of development) those wants to be fulfilled.

Last edited:

Miss Granger? The spitting image of my 3rd Form teacher. ;)

Eh, with enough presets for faces, body and other stuff like that you can still make a pretty unique looking character by combining those different elements in various ways, so I don't really care for being able to move bunch of sliders left and right, before inevitably setting on the middle, because anything else looks ridiculous, but hey, that's just me.

It's not BS. Take The Division for example, I didn't like any of their presets, no offense to the creators, they just didn't strike my liking. One's enjoyment of a game can be affected by it. Does it mean that I'd refuse to get the game, hell no. But there's nothing wrong with or BS about having preferences with playing a character that you find most appealing to your own taste.

Like all of us here, we want to play a game that meets our hopes and preferences as much as possible. So there's nothing wrong with asking for, (while the game is still in the state of development) those wants to be fulfilled.
Well, I wasn't talking about if you like or dislike presets or customizing options. I'm saying that not being able to identify with a character because there's not enough options to tweak the looks is BS. These things are unrelated.

That being said, I'm not saying that presets always look good. Many games have crappy presets and even sliders don't help to make anything less repulsing. But if enough time is spent on creation of a default look or basic options, characters will look great and will have enough distinctive features. Why I like presets (like Shepard, for example) is because they have unique looks, unlike sliders-generated dolls. I swear I would prefer to play as Dijkstra any day of a year, than any botox baby from Inquistion. Because Dijkstra looks like a unique individual.

Well, I wasn't talking about if you like or dislike presets or customizing options. I'm saying that not being able to identify with a character because there's not enough options to tweak the looks is BS. These things are unrelated.

That being said, I'm not saying that presets always look good. Many games have crappy presets and even sliders don't help to make anything less repulsing. But if enough time is spent on creation of a default look or basic options, characters will look great and will have enough distinctive features. Why I like presets (like Shepard, for example) is because they have unique looks, unlike sliders-generated dolls. I swear I would prefer to play as Dijkstra any day of a year, than any botox baby from Inquistion.

I'd be fine with something like this. The facial structure options are absolutely horrible-looking, but otherwise it's solid (And CDPR makes better faces anyway), so no reason not to expect AT LEAST something similar as far as the other options go (nose/eyes/etc.)

I'm preferring presets for this game, but that said, this is a game world where people sculpting themselves into abominations shouldn't be immersion breaking. This world has gene therapy, nanites, cyberware, bioware, even just vat grown replacement tissue, I'm sure even with just future cosmetics, people could customize their look to degrees we can't fathom today. With all of these things, some people are going to turn themselves into twisted protests against natural law. It is absolutely reasonable that your character would find those people disgusting or disturbing, but I can't imagine full on disbelief.

I think there are a lot of good arguments for sliders *edit* presets, woops */edit*, like simplifying animation qa testing, personal preference, etc but I don't really see immersion being one.

My main hope for customization isn't in character creation, but if I get cyberware that isn't inside my body like an arm or something, that I can choose between obvious or not obvious, and if obvious having a few stylized choices like showing components (hydrolics, cabling, etc) or not, chrome, black, or other plating, etc.

Well, Mass Effect is probably the most democratic system. It has a great pre-made face of a model and then not so pretty tweaking options. Perhaps in better developer hands character customizer can offer better results. But at least it will satisfy both camps.

Well, I wasn't talking about if you like or dislike presets or customizing options. I'm saying that not being able to identify with a character because there's not enough options to tweak the looks is BS. These things are unrelated..

Then perhaps using the words "identify with" were poorly chosen on my part, though I couldn't think of anything better to use at the time.

This is my, like for many others on here I assume, most highly anticipated game. And although I am sure that the creators could (and will) come up with some really great looking options, it doesn't necessarily guarantee that any of them will sing out to what I am hoping for. Sometimes the options we're given just don't strike our fancy, which is why I am hoping for customization options. Be it sliders or groups of options from categories to choose from.

Like from Fallout 4. Without touching the tweaking effect on the face directly, they had lists of different brows/eye/nose/mouth options to choose from before making adjustments to those listed presets on the model itself.

I'd be happy with either sliders or lists of different facial feature options to apply. I just want more choice than here's 5 faces, pick one and then move onto hair, clothes, etc...

As i said, I think the tech is there and fallout 4 had unique ways to make your Character, i hope they have extensive sculpting/body morphing features. Again, in 2020 you had so many choices to get shark teeth, a fin on your back. Basically literally everything you can think of that a style over substance experience aims for.

I wish that games with sliders put some coordinates, so I could copy characters from others and then tweak a bit to my tastes. Is that too difficult?

Top Bottom