Confused about Yennefer and Triss

+
Confused about Yennefer and Triss

I just finished reading The Last Wish and Yennefer appears to be Geralt's love interest. In the game however Triss Merigold is his love interest. Since Triss is only briefly mentioned by Yennefer I assume something happened to Geralt and Yennefer's relationship that allowed Triss and him to grow close. What happened with them and in what book?

Asking for spoilers is not the best way to solve your problem ;) So let's just say that something has changed during five long years between the events of the saga and the beginning of the game. I'm sure we'll find out the details soon. The developers wouldn't keep secrets longer than they must, now would they? :)

SSPOILERS - if you plan to read the saga then dont read this ;]
- Yennefer is definitely a true love of Geralt. She first appears in the 'Last Wish' and then in the saga she is one of the three most important characters for the book (Geralt and his stepdaughter Ciri being the other two).Yennefer teaches Ciri to be sorcerers and is to her like a mother. So Geralt + Yennefer + Ciri = 'family' altho its rather strange one ;]- Tiss has her first appearance in the first tome of saga. She travels to Kaer Morhen and it is said that she had an episode with Geralt sometime earlier [its never said when but its clearly that ''Yennefe was first'' ;p]. She definitely has a strong feeling for him, but the book clearly shows that she was an 'episode' for Geralt between one of the fights he had with Yennefer. Also Triss and Yennefer are best friends. Yennefer knows about her and Geralt, she tels him that she knows and she wont destroy her friendship with Triss because of him but at the end of the saga they have a big fight over him (but some events stop them - I wont spoil so much to you ;]). Basically if Yennefer will show up in The Witcher 2 expect her to kill Triss ;p (she is stronger sorceress then Triss)Also if you are interested in Shani then she is only a minor character in the saga (in the beginning of saga she is a student of medicine and a friend of Dandelion, also readers first meet her in bed with Geralt ;] she is one of three women that Geralt get his special cards in the saga ;p). Then she appears only in the last book of the saga (sapkowki uses her character to show a big battle from the eye's of a medician trying to rescue wounded ssoldiers). So Shani got a much bigger role in the game then she had in the books.

Few more spoilers about Yennifer:
- She can read Geralts mind, and he complains about it few times. So she knows about every single of Geralt adventures. But she knows that if its ever possible Geralt will love only her.- Geralts biggest problem with Yennifer is that he cannot love, or have real feelings, at least he thinks that witchers do not have feelings. It is a bit more complicated and i do not want to spoil everything here.- Yennifer as child was hunchbacked or midged, or she was supposedly just ugly. Then after she got more sorceress powers she took series of some "magical surgery" operations, making her true beauty. Since then she has some kind of untrust (or plain hate) for most of men, and accepts Geralt because he is not accepted by most of humans ("whitey", "freak", mutant" etc).

I highly doubt that Yennefer would ever go that far as to kill Triss, or vice versa ;)Interestingly enough, Triss in the game behaves more like Yennefer from the novels than herself. It could be that she grown to be more like her in those 5 years that passed, who knows ;) Also, several of Triss' lines in the game are direct quotes of Yennefer from the book ("nothing's more miserable than a crying sorceress" and the dialogue with Geralt on the banquet come to my mind).

nawrot said:
Few more spoilers about Yennifer:- She can read Geralts mind, and he complains about it few times. So she knows about every single of Geralt adventures. But she knows that if its ever possible Geralt will love only her.- Geralts biggest problem with Yennifer is that he cannot love, or have real feelings, at least he thinks that witchers do not have feelings. It is a bit more complicated and i do not want to spoil everything here.- Yennifer as child was hunchbacked or midged, or she was supposedly just ugly. Then after she got more sorceress powers she took series of some "magical surgery" operations, making her true beauty. Since then she has some kind of untrust (or plain hate) for most of men, and accepts Geralt because he is not accepted by most of humans ("whitey", "freak", mutant" etc).
Well, it is even more complicated than that. Even those who read only "Last Wish" should realise that Geralt and Yennifer haven't so much fallen in love as have been magically bound together by Jinn's fulfillment of Garalt's last wish. Trouble is that Geralt given his wish in emergency and before he did have time to form any clear idea if Yennifer was REALLY the person he would want to be bound to ferever!

Yennefer is actualy 94 years old...you can find it here more information here: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

captmorgan72 said:
I just finished reading The Last Wish and Yennefer appears to be Geralt's love interest. In the game however Triss Merigold is his love interest. Since Triss is only briefly mentioned by Yennefer I assume something happened to Geralt and Yennefer's relationship that allowed Triss and him to grow close. What happened with them and in what book?
Both Triss and Yennefer will appear in "Blood of Elves", to be published in English in September, which will answer many of your questions.

Screwtape said:
I highly doubt that Yennefer would ever go that far as to kill Triss, or vice versa ;)
Let's hope so ;).
Screwtape said:
Interestingly enough, Triss in the game behaves more like Yennefer from the novels than herself. It could be that she grown to be more like her in those 5 years that passed, who knows ;) Also, several of Triss' lines in the game are direct quotes of Yennefer from the book ("nothing's more miserable than a crying sorceress" and the dialogue with Geralt on the banquet come to my mind).
Actually it is not far from the books too. I believe the phrase "nothing's more miserable than a crying sorceress" is coming from theirs common sorceress teacher (Tisaira). And Triss and Yennefer were closest friends (which might sound as an euphemism for two women who shared one man, but it is clearly proved at the end of the saga).

captmorgan72 said:
more SPOILING ;)
yeah, in a nutshell - Yennefer wasn`t easy-going lady at all, and it is vaguely suggested, that after one of the quarrels Geralt "cried on a shoulder" of Yennefers friend - Triss Merigold. In first tome of the witcher saga Geralt had some decisions to make, and rejoined Yen.sometimes a reader can think of Geralt as a trophy-man, especially reading a Thanedd banquet descriptions. It is written that other sorcresses even crave for someone more..er "masculine",than wimpy, egotic wizards,merchants,et caetera.. Triss is not as ruthless as other wizards,more human,young,easy-going,not holding grudges like Yennefer. I like that "they gave her a chance" in the game,because it was my favourite female character in the books =)

I cannot stop wondering about the names :)))In Czech version Triss's (holy crap, massssses of "s" ;-D) surname is Ranuncul and Dandelion's (Jaskier) name is Marigold :) I always get little bit confused - so which Marigold was Geralt's episode? :D

MadCat said:
I cannot stop wondering about the names :)))In Czech version Triss's (holy crap, massssses of "s" ;-D) surname is Ranuncul and Dandelion's (Jaskier) surname is Marigold :) I always get little bit confused - so which Marigold was Geralt's episode? :D
Well, you got it mixed. Dandelion *is* Marigold in Czech. From what I read, the problem happened during the translation, when Czech translator first translated Dandelion as Marigold and then AS introduced Triss Marigold :). There was nothing to be done about it except making up a different name.

I really hope we'll see Yennefer in the next Witcher game (it's pretty clear there will be one).Now about the names.Well I prefer Jaskier.Imho here was no need of calling him Dandelion.

captmorgan72 said:
well, triss wasnt the girl, which geralt would love, she remained more friend to him ,not lover, you will get more in other books, and in the end, geralt and yeneffer at last is together,but not for long, they dies together :) well ,i personaly disliked the idea,to chose between shani,which was just a adventure,small time for geralt, and trish, in the books, geralt would not chose any of those :)

Spoiler:
Also, in the story "Granice Możliwości" (first Story, second Tome - I don't know the translation :p), The Golden Dragon says that Yen and Geralt are created for each other (or so), but their feelings for eachother are destined to fail.

hawkssj4 said:
hawkssj4 said:
well, triss wasnt the girl, which geralt would love, she remained more friend to him ,not lover, you will get more in other books, and in the end, geralt and yeneffer at last is together,but not for long, they dies together :) well ,i personaly disliked the idea,to chose between shani,which was just a adventure,small time for geralt, and trish, in the books, geralt would not chose any of those :)
this is the worst spoiler message I have ever read man... delete it immedetialy before you ruin other people's interest as to what finally happens to Geralt as you did with me... isn't there somebody checking these things for christ's shake? delete it immediately :mad:

Top Bottom