CP2077 will get multiplayer mode similar to GTA V online?

+
Seems unlikely now. I think they may introduce some online elements, maybe co-op play? I don't think you can go from no online game dev experience to a GTA V Online scale game, at least not sucusfully.

I think a Multiplayer mod similar to Dying light 2 might be a more suitable setup than GTA Online. The ability to invite other players to aid in story or side missions within your "world". Would make it seem more like a co-op where you have a team to work missions with.

Invite up to 4 players on your friends list to join your game play. Mission credits are divided between the players evenly or in pre-determined ratios. Difficulty increase depending on average player level bit not going lower than default difficulty level.

CDPR officially canceled the multiplayer mode for CP2077.

The reason given was Red Engine had never done multiplayer before and they could not get the engine to do everything they needed it to in order to make multiplayer work.

With the Switch to Unreal Engine, Multiplayer is expected to be part of the sequel, it's also not officially confirmed but there were reports of a possible standalone multiplayer game set in CP2077 world. CDPR has expressed an interest in brining multiplayer to both the Witcher franchise and the CP franchise.

SO, the short version is as an Update to CP2077 100% canceled and not happening. But a CP multiplayer game will probably happen at some point.

devs said so officially?
Yep ;)
@DonLuzolvaz posted about that few days ago > here (with an Attachment)

"Over the past few years we have been working on developing our multiplayer technology. With the recent decision to start a strategic partnership with Epic Games and use Unreal Engine 5, which offers advanced multiplayer solutions, we have further development of our proprietary multiplayer technology and an associated write-down of nearly $ 4.90 million." Piotr Nielubowicz

"Following the decision to change the underlying game engine and conclusion of a licensing and partnership agreement with Epic Games International, we gained access to multiplayer solutions available in Unreal Engine 5, as a result of which we abandoned further R&D work on adding multiplayer elements to REDEngine."

So yeah, no possible doubt, CDPR games which use RedEngine won't receive any multiplayer feature, never (which is the case of Cyberpunk 2077 and I suppose TW3 "next-gen"). But their next games on Unreal Engine, I would say, probably yes :)

Unless we want Cyberpunk 2077 to become GTA with no new content and even more toxic online players then I'd rather not. I'd prefer they stay focused on the single player experience

Yep ;)
@DonLuzolvaz posted about that few days ago > here (with an Attachment)

"Over the past few years we have been working on developing our multiplayer technology. With the recent decision to start a strategic partnership with Epic Games and use Unreal Engine 5, which offers advanced multiplayer solutions, we have further development of our proprietary multiplayer technology and an associated write-down of nearly $ 4.90 million." Piotr Nielubowicz

"Following the decision to change the underlying game engine and conclusion of a licensing and partnership agreement with Epic Games International, we gained access to multiplayer solutions available in Unreal Engine 5, as a result of which we abandoned further R&D work on adding multiplayer elements to REDEngine."

So yeah, no possible doubt, CDPR games which use RedEngine won't receive any multiplayer feature, never (which is the case of Cyberpunk 2077 and I suppose TW3 "next-gen"). But their next games on Unreal Engine, I would say, probably yes :)
wow so they are abandoning the red engine completely as well it seems.

Damn shame they cancelled it. But maybe they'll release the unfinished code they had for multiplayer? Now that REDMOD is a thing, just do a Bethesda and let the fans finish your game for you. I really want multiplayer in Cyberpunk.

Difficult to implement something like this, but something online, mode or not, would be the way or means for the game to work and get out of the 'average' (mediocre) line. But since all CDPR promises were broken, this was just one more (multiplayer mode).

Something that would work would be Cyberpunk as an MMO RPG. But they would have to think very carefully about the mechanics involved in this idea. I think - because I have them in mind - that these mechanics would be easy to compose and manage.

GTA, RDR2, Eve Online, BDO, and few others have proven that it is possible to have games close to what we know as AAA online games. That some technical limits can be suppressed by a good design/art approach that thinks something to 'eliminate obstacles' (and not do the opposite as they did in Cyberpunk, even though it's a singleplayer game).

Is it possible to have an online game that has a certain large volume of objects on screen and another certain volume of dynamic objects? I think so and for all current platforms and consoles.

I also don't think that would require 'big investments'. And whatever the engine, what limits current Cyberpunk has nothing to do with engines but with 'what we want with a game'.
Post automatically merged:

One of the first scenes of Cyberpunk - and here will come a small spoiler descriptive of the game (it doesn't say anything about the story) is a character X saying that the NC Police were considered the combat elite of the Cyberpunk world. Based on this, one could base the idea of 'no combat' within the matrix instance (city). Leave these fights, literally, to smaller instances, by groups or not. This technique is used in Eve Online, they call it 'the small universe within the universe' simulating being a single vast universe. This can bypass performance, technical issues related to server side and client. They did it in 2003. It was a success in that PVE idea. This is used by Elder Scroll Online as well and SWOTOR (they developed 'parallel' PVP worlds later, years after the game's release).

In this matrix instance, different activities could be taken as 'quality of life' elements - such as 'jobs', small stories/big stories and so on.

There is a 'taboo' present these days about the false idea that 'open world' games are not instantiated. Absolutely all of them are, they have, here or there, some 'load screen'. To say otherwise is to lie. RDR2 uses minor cinematics to get around this; Star Citizen, too (Hello elevators) Elite Dangerous, same thing (transition between ship and station that happens when loading a spaceship into something else). GTA V the same thing (and it's not an MMO but private servers, players). Entire CP regions could be used like this - it would make compositing easier.

A friend of mine once told me when I asked him: what are games? He replied: they are a set of bugs and 'gambiarras' that work.

I think Cyberpunk in the form of an MMO would have everything to be the most successful game in the history of online gaming. There is a giant and needy market on the Sci fi theme. On the other hand, I think that something like this would have to innovate and escape the standards. Cyberpunk MMORPG that I imagine would not work in 'first person', nor would it focus on 'third person', although using part of this type of 'control' (cameras) it would be a 3D 'point and click', just like the module ' EVE Online's Captain Headquarters' (CCP abandoned the idea because they no longer wanted to invest in the game - after that, they sold the company to Pearl Abissys).

Some would ask, 'but point and click' in an idea that comes from first-person action?

Star War Old Republic, acclaimed by critics and worldwide audiences in its time, is from him that SWOTOR, its online version, more 'modern' (compared to singleplayer) also acclaimed by all. They use this 'point and click action' system with 'third person' control elements (there are 3 traditional types of character control in the game industry, this involves codes/modeling/animations specific to each of these 3 types, first, the first person, third person and 2D - they are the most used, of course, here are the isometrics too).

Cyberpunk could work using this, as it consumes much less processing than games in 3rd person or first person, starting with physics. What is physical in one, in another, is (or can be, depending on the context) animated - merely animated.

For a few years I thought: why in Eve Online, in the module - let's call it that - in the 'headquarters' module, did they use two types of player controls - point and click and a limited 'WASD' system? If one was not, in principle, necessary in that context of interactions in an environment whose character appears - 3rd camera?

The answer, for me, came from one of those who idealized (game design) the module. He said: to give a feeling of freedom and control to the player in this closed environment' inside the stations. The expectation he, game designer had, was that the CCP would incorporate more things into what they call 'stations'. This, unfortunately, did not happen, although it was a promise written by the CCP.

Last edited:
Damn shame they cancelled it. But maybe they'll release the unfinished code they had for multiplayer? Now that REDMOD is a thing, just do a Bethesda and let the fans finish your game for you. I really want multiplayer in Cyberpunk.

There's probably a 99.9% chance there is a sequel. I'd say they'd put it there.

There's probably a 99.9% chance there is a sequel. I'd say they'd put it there.

There is absolutely no doubt there will be another game. CDPR has already confirmed their goal is to work on two major IPs at once. That's The Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 series (or whatever name it ends up with).

Not to mention that regardless of anyone's opinion of the game, it is a smashing success commercially. Few games can boast the total sales numbers CP2077 reached and fewer still can claim they recouped the entirety of their budget on pre-orders alone. The expansion would have to crash and burn absurdly hard for them to consider now making another game using this IP.

I've said this in another thread. I think there is a misunderstanding about the capabilities of REDmod. The official REDmod does not offer that many tools, for example Quest design tools are not available. So fixing Quest bugs becomes really hard or near impossible with the current tools and the community can't just "Finish the game" (Maybe one day we will have something like radish modding tools, that would really help solving this issue with Quest bugs). However we might see a community-made multiplayer mode in the future. Also I don't understand, why the hell people want a multiplayer so bad?

Last edited:
Top Bottom