CPU or GPU high temps? Need help

+
I've got this issue since the very beginning, being inactive for a time, but now that i play full Gwent and its summer i'm worried about my pc performance.
Is it normal running on 70-73 celsius with XMP off and when XMP is on goin 80~ celsius?
I mean its like GPU or CPU tryin so hard and fans full speed.

CPU: i5 6600k running at stock speed
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz, running at stock 2133Mhz and 3000Mhz with XMP
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB
MOBO: MSI M5 Z170A

When playing graphic intensive games reaching 80 degrees is not unheard of.

I would suggest updating the drivers of your graphics card. Also, as a temporary fix, you could turn of premium animations.

i tired many things and i found a solution, my system is beyond OK to maintain this game.
The prroblem was turning V-sync ON (i have in my GPU app freesync ON so i disable every Vsync mode from any game).
In Gwent i just had to put V-sync always ON and i have stable 48 degrees. That's weird even in-game time/animations etc changed a bit.

Yes, the freesync app won‘t necessarily work with ever game. You‘ll always have to keep that possibility in mind.

But while your CPU probably can hand 70+ degrees, 48 sounds makes much more sense to me.

same problem with Thronebreaker aswell going 70~+, with VSYNC on this time, but high temps don't drop. I have no idea what's causing that overheat. Is it win10, game or hardware tweak :(
Post automatically merged:

+ random game crashes and in battle mode when fire is applied in a row tons of lags (my pc got enough power to handle graphics etc)

Last edited:
Well, it's not yet overheating.

Other than that, I'd close all non-essential background application. Especially overlays (like Uplay, Fraps, or stuff like GeForce Experience, MSI Afterburner...) can be a problem for games and cause lags.

Also, check out this information from support:
https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/thronebreaker/pc/sp-technical/issue/898/crash-freeze-on-startup

In some cases, a few Radeon cards can cause problems too, for example, see here:
https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...ical/issue/1087/old-radeon-cards-game-crashes

VSync itself can cause issues.
Obviously I don't have my hands on your very specific setup but as a general rule of thumb if you want your rig to run cooler, before any other tweaks, always start by locking your FPS.
NOT by using Vsync though, use MSI Afterburner (or one of the many other (free) tools) and lock the game to 60 FPS with Vsync turned off.
Pushing above 60 FPS in a slow paced card game is completely pointless as reaction time and/or smooth target tracking plays no role here whatsoever.

If you're asking whether 70-80C on a CPU is dangerous the answer is probably not. Most chips throttle down around 100C to prevent damage. Granted, this does not mean they should be run at 100C.

If you're asking whether 70-80C is "normal" it's difficult to give a definitive answer. When pushing your CPU and cooling to the limit then, yeah, it might be normal. If this is not the case then no, it's probably not normal. If you're only running Gwent and hitting 70C on that hardware at stock settings I'd suspect something to be amiss.

A few things you can try....

1. Make sure your cooling system is working correctly (fans, pumps, whatever).
2. Get to cleaning out the dust bunnies (filters, case, components).
3. Re-seat your CPU heat sink/remove and reapply new thermal paste.
4. Review your bios settings to make sure everything appears normal (voltages specifically).

Out of curiosity, when you say your temperatures are high what are you referring to specifically? CPU temp? Core temps? GPU temp? Is the high temperature sustained or does it only occur in brief spurts? Are idle temps also high?

Definitely a hot topic. I had the same issue, my PC pushing out 300+ FPS in Gwent (and getting hot). Do what Voidq wrote and cap your fps at 60.

Top Bottom